Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:46 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I know where you are coming from. On the way to Chicane I took the on ramp near Penrose. Nailed the Turbo 3.6 in second gear with a rolling start at 50 km. my god what a rush. Like a jump to warp speed.

BTW I remember reading a thread years ago saying that rotor warping was a huge myth. I just searched and found multiple results. Here is one

Warped Rotors
There is a commonly held belief that disc brake rotors often warp under heat, which causes them to become wavy and cause pedal vibration. This belief is reinforced by the fact that this pedal oscillation disappears after the rotor is machined flat again. More often than not, this "warpage" is actually the result of an uneven buildup of metallic pad material on the rotor face. Before replacing your "warped" rotors with new ones, have them checked by a qualified mechanic with accurate equipment. If the disc is not warped the same amount on both sides, then your mechanic need only shave off the extra pad material on one side.
Amen to that - the 964 is just so tactile - still get little surprises. For me its nailing it 3rd at around 3000 rpm and feeling the power come in waves.

I've seen those reports on the myth of warping hence why so convinced it seems like uneven deposits. Anyway yesterday was good so I will see how it holds up. My pads were gone anyway so just thinking about what to try next. The RS-14s are great - supposedly track pads but no issue on the road the way I drive and surprisingly squeak free. Will do a bit of reading. Steve suggested the oranges and Sean mentioned the Endless which I'd be keen to try .
Old 05-12-2013, 02:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

It's good to have a guinea pig I can't afford to mis-step with the cost right now. The back yard is a huge mess as the landscaper finishes the repairs. I know what's coming next. The landscaper will put ideas in Donna's head that will cost just when I have more important priorities. It's not even an area I think we will use.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's good to have a guinea pig I can't afford to mis-step with the cost right now. The back yard is a huge mess as the landscaper finishes the repairs. I know what's coming next. The landscaper will put ideas in Donna's head that will cost just when I have more important priorities. It's not even an area I think we will use.
LOL - been there about 2 years ago and the landscaper/pool builder emptied our pockets of almost the exact cost of a SportClassic.... At least the spend won't depreciate which is how I rationalise it!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Puke is fine at our speeds. HD and Taupo you cant get above 5th gear/200kmph in our cars and Puke is a nice change as it has a long back straight that will get you into top and well over 200kmph.

Peter how much track use are you getting out of set of pads? Just curious as mine must be at least half worn by now...
Old 05-12-2013, 03:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

LOL - been there about 2 years ago and the landscaper/pool builder emptied our pockets of almost the exact cost of a SportClassic.... At least the spend won't depreciate which is how I rationalise it!
At least this man is not working on my engine.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Peter how much track use are you getting out of set of pads? Just curious as mine must be at least half worn by now...
I'm not 100% sure. They were worn by midday at the last track day. I thought they were new prior to the one we did back in May which would make it just a day and a half. However after the drama PB had diagnosing the brake judder prior to the May day we may actually have ended up putting the existing pads back on (after trying new ones.) That would seem more logical in which case they will have lasted 3 full track days plus 6 months of DD (with pretty light braking usually). OEM pads.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Wow. Ok. I better add those to the list of items to have checked in June when the car is at CCS! I have 10,000 DD kms, 1.5 track days and 1000 Targa race Kms on mine so they may not last 3 x track days in September! Discs were new 15k km ago so should make it....

Looks like you have a reasonable uptake for the 9th June. Paul should be back in the fold by then as well...
Old 05-12-2013, 03:38 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow.
Your point re it being a heavy car was well made!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It must also be increasingly well driven or you wouldn't be running through the pads quite so quickly either!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

It must also be increasingly well driven or you wouldn't be running through the pads quite so quickly either!
Good point. That's part of the challenge. You get faster and all of the braking points etc change. A whole new set of parameters. I feel sorry for the more competent drivers as the incremental gains must get small after awhile. It would then start the horsepower and gear war. Never ending.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good point. That's part of the challenge. You get faster and all of the braking points etc change. A whole new set of parameters. I feel sorry for the more competent drivers as the incremental gains must get small after awhile. It would then start the horsepower and gear war. Never ending.
Well said. Along way away for me (thankfully for the wallet at least!)
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I just bought these from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121053198116...84.m1423.l2649

After 13 years of replacing the black factory alloy lug nuts (at ridiculous cost) I'm sick of the damage that's easily done to the black anodized finish as soon as the wheel man or mechanic applies his tools to the lug nuts. I even bought a soft socket but it often gets forgotten. Given the increasingly regular removal of wheels with this track habit I thought Id find a brushed alloy version that could take the punishment but always look presentable....quite reasonably priced too compared to the OEM...
Attached Images    
Old 05-12-2013, 09:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Look like the business for my Fuchs. How much was postage?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi John. Yes they were designed for the Fuch alloys by Porsche. Porsche actually manufactured an identical lug nut item number 999 182 001 02 which are I believe no longer available. They would have been around $15 usd each from the US in any case. I have inquired via the guys who supply my OEM stuff from the USA if that part number is still available but yet to hear back. The quality of these aftermarket ones looks good and Ive seen them recommended on other forums. Shipping for me was $14.90 to my Florida re direction address as I have some GoPro accessories (roll bar mount etc) already in transit to that address and will ship all at once. NZ direct shipping was $44 usd.
Attached Images    
Old 05-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jennifer gets the 'bot!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?