Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
John, just out of interest is the ex-Ray Barker X88 3.6T still in NZ, or did it go off shore. Does anyone know how to contact the owner if in NZ.

Also another question for those in the know, I heard somewhere that you could no longer import 964's / 993's into the country? Why is this? Is there a loop hole with rear / unusual cars like say 993 RS? I have heard lots of half stories that rare cars can be imported - anyone investigated in any detail?
I dont know which colour Ray Barkers car was, but Im pretty such I know of all the 3.6 Turbos in NZ.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

My expat friend is a frustrated Porsche man. The children mounted up too quickly to get his wife to agree to a 911, even though the cash was there.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I dont know which colour Ray Barkers car was, but Im pretty such I know of all the 3.6 Turbos in NZ.
It's Red with Black interior. Looks identical to the car currently on TM , but with out the custom center console.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

RS ZWEI is correct. The only NZ new 996.1 GT3 sold to Bill Abercrombie (long time black 968CS owner who trade the 68 in for the car at Gillies). He did a deal at 85k I understand. Hell be keeping that GT3 for a long long time (he had the 968 CS for over 10 years and it was the best in NZ). It wasnt a bad car, needed a little fettling thats all but in Bills hands Im sure its now a superlative example...

The only other SY 996.1 GT3 is the one I imported in 2002/3.

Here the hard data (only accounts for NZ new cars I understand). 996.1 GT3 are now tightly held. The Zanzibar Red one at the Porsche Parade was bought 2010 in the late 80s, the owner has tidied it up real nice and its now almost concours but he wont let it go easily...
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

996 GT3's are a great car, but I can't see them being investments or going up in value for a loooong time, for the simple reason of the 'for a few dollars more rule', for another $30K I could have a 996 GT3 RS, which is cooler, rarer and faster, or I could have a 997 GT3 (mk1), which is faster and superior. Given 997 GT3's are still dropping in value and have a way to go, this can only put downward pressure on 996 GT3's.

OK - you can stone me now...............
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Thats exactly what happened to the 993RS. The GT3 put downward pressure on the 993RS. When I bought mine it was 104k landed. I agree the 996.1 GT3 wont rise sharply in the immediate future but this was the last model they held back from the USA and as such the Mk2 for examle was made in a volume over double the Mk1 (1000 ish units). From there on the GT3 has become a volume vehicle (albiet only around 3000 units per model variant per cycle).

My take is the 996.1 GT3 has bottomed at 80k NZD and good ones will fetch between that and 100k nzd in years to come. With the new 991 GT3 not having 6 speed, the Metzger engine now gone, rare models with a raw flavour and appeal will increase in value.

You are spot on re the 996 GT3RS by the way. Thats perhaps the rawest GT3RS variant to date and already values are getting very firm globally. Volume was ver very low and it has true light weight construction. If you can find a good one in NZ for 120k it would be a sound investment. Of the 5 imported three were "rolled bowled and a**holed" (ok - have had track incidents if you like lol!)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Paul. I think you will find removing all the AWD gear from a 964 is quite a complicated task (disconnecting the system to run RWD less so).
If you know where one can buy a composite/CF sunroof panel for these cars Im interested as Ive been looking a long time. Theres only a few KG there - most of the weight is in the motor, guides and drive assembly.
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html
After doing a bit of internet surfing, 964's are hard to convert, I understand you need to change the gearbox too. 993's are easier - I know someone with a 993T who removed the front drive shaft for a bit.

You are correct that the weight is in the motor etc. looking at some Aussie race cars last year, they have all the motor and rails removed with the the sunroof panel 'siliconed' in.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Correct Paul. Gearbox and rear diff being issues...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
After doing a bit of internet surfing, 964's are hard to convert, I understand you need to change the gearbox too. 993's are easier - I know someone with a 993T who removed the front drive shaft for a bit.

You are correct that the weight is in the motor etc. looking at some Aussie race cars last year, they have all the motor and rails removed with the the sunroof panel 'siliconed' in.
Paul, the way I'm seeing this right now is that you will be motivated to buy something new the day a hefty white C4 with antique wheels and a p-extension spoiler starts looming in your rear view mirror. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen, even if I have to temporarily transpose my 964 motors.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

As a reference point I took 100kg out of my 993 and put 30kg back in. All without removing any carpet, sound deadening, rear seats, air con and sunroof. Infact the car is far more "luxurious" than it was before. Not possible on a strict budget I might add. Key items to achieve this unusual diet (the usual way is to strip out the aforementioned gear for 100kg savings) were -

CF bucket seats passenger and driver
Remove rear blower
Gel Cel battery with Rennline alloy bracket (good daving here)
Cat removal, dash X pipe install
Lighter Fister D mufflers
Remove factory airbox (heavy) for cone filter with alloy neck (MAP sensor requirement)
Lighter ECU and ancillaries
Lighter shocks (coilover lighter than factory struts and springs)
Custom fabricated carbon fiber transmission tunnel under cover
Same above for fuel pump
Removal of brake backing plates
Lighter weight wheels
Rear engine under tray removal

Items added back include

Upgraded audiophile head unit (a gift from Kenwood otherwise I wouldnt have bothered)
Upgraded speakers and cross overs
Front strut brace
Fire extinguisher bracket BK
Auto lift driver window mechanism
Auto dip rear vision mirror
Porsche over mats
Hardwired Trackit GPS system (Targa)
Rain sensing wipers
HID ballasts for headlights and fog lights
Alloy & CF interior appointments (many)
Under carriage race "toe hooks"
RS adjustable sway bars

Actually theres more stuff Ive forgotten....
Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Them's fighting words LOL! Paul's pretty handy peddling that 200hp C3 along from what ive observed. Ill be aiming just to keep up with him!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Unless there's a tarseal gymkahana involved. It turns out I'm accidentaly ok at them!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Them's fighting words LOL! Paul's pretty handy peddling that 200hp C3 along from what ive observed. Ill be aiming just to keep up with him!
I can always get Ray Williams to drive for me. Outsourcing is the way to go.

In reality, the first few times out I imagine I'll be lapped in the 15 minute sessions.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Hey Peter, thought you might like to know that NZ has 16 GT3 Mk1's. The last one I know of that sold was last year andGiltraps sold it. It was the only NZ new Speed Yellow GT3 Mk1 in the country. Off the top of my head it had done around 45,000kms, the last advertised price was $89,990.
Wow - that's not a lot. That price for that mileage seems a hell deal - I guess the moral of the story (for Matt) is patience - they don't come around often but when a good one does, be prepared to jump.

Macca - that's another cool story - I totally get where you're coming from and would love to come look in that 'shed' - or is that the storage unit. The 911 was bucket list material - took til 34 to get the first and there have been 5 since. Totally torn these days between having the best example to own and drive daily and something to use properly on track - really they are 2 different animals and just now I'm not prepared to invest in both (and my garage is clearly smaller than John's!) Porsche ownership is addictive - I think I said in a previous post with the line up of cars from John's neighbourhood that I could happily own one of each. And its only a short step to buying and selling and buying again! I respect your discipline to have hung onto that first one.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I can always get Ray Williams to drive for me. Outsourcing is the way to go.
Laughing my *** off with this comment...................roflmao:

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?