Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Lucky you, I'm off to S.......uva. Did three years there before. It's worse when you know what to expect.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John currently at 3000 ft in a cessna 207 heading to Epi. Will email the Porsche MS font file to you this evening.

Good work on seat. Quick question why 2 layer and not 3 layer suit if you will go racing later?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John currently at 3000 ft in a cessna 207 heading to Epi. Will email the Porsche MS font file to you this evening.

Good work on seat. Quick question why 2 layer and not 3 layer suit if you will go racing later?
I think I stopped off at Epi once in a yacht on the way to the Pentecost jump. Ed Ziemer was the captain. He had land there. A sunny place for shady people as it turned out, but that's nothing new in the Rock. You excepted

As for the suit, I will never be a competitive racer having seen what Simon does. Don't have the talent or inclination to duel it out there. I can see it getting very expensive very quickly and can't see the accretive benefit. I need to get back on my windsurfer, try kite boarding, maybe paraponting or gliding (have flow a 172 solo). Track days sates my need for speed. Another point is that the $ for $ is being applied....
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Been to See Shane at Chicane. Racetech 4009W without the head wings looks like the seat for me. With seat squab removed you can see harness holes above my shoulder.
John - did you have a look at the 4000? Is the plan to fix them in place or on sliders?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just landed. Lauman Bay. Luckily no cows on the grass runway this time! Will keep an eye out for Ed and pay your regards. Just been to Pentecoste for the land diving.

Fair call on the driving suit and racing career! I think the Rennsport Gruppe is plenty fun enough for now.

Say hi to Barney in fiji for us!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The. Time we went to the land dives we laughed when we saw the villagers getting changed from western dress into island clobber to look authentic. Like a circus show. Still the divjng was the real deal with widen frames and vines.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

John - did you have a look at the 4000? Is the plan to fix them in place or on sliders?
I had a look at the basic seat. Not sure Iif it was the 4000. Too tight for me. Not sure you are any more svelte!

Shane is checking re sliders.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a look at the basic seat. Not sure Iif it was the 4000. Too tight for me. Not sure you are any more svelte!

Shane is checking re sliders.
They do the 4000 in a 'W' wide version for the less svelte amongst us. In the photos it doesn't look as high sided so possibly easier to get in and out of - but no removable cushion and less flexibility re height.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

John re suit. i think you should definitely check out the 3 layer new technology fabrics that are light and also very breathable and deodorized treatment. They are more expensive but the comfort so much better its amazing. I had a 3 layer momo in normal fabric and thought that for the 6 day 15th anniversary Targa NZ that I would get a second suit. One suit for 6 days in a row is getting a bit much. Got a sparco. Wore the Momo on prologue day and ended up wearing the Sparco for 6 days! It was just so much cooler, and was about as smelly as wearing the Momo for 1 day. Well worth the extra price IMO

re the seat. Check to see if the bottom cushions are interchangeable. I couldn't see the pic very well on the RH seat cushion but the one piece is a newer design and much higher density foam so much more comfortable to sit in over time. I have upgraded my racetech seat to the one piece.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I can vouch for Graemes recommendation on the newer Sparco 3 layer suits. Mine is light and comfortable and doesn't seem to have developed any unwanted odors. I bought it out of the US (a new Sparco 3 layer there is cheaper than a reasonable 2 layer in NZ) but returned the first suit as it was too large. This is the downside of buying an off the shelf suit from offshore as you cant get to try it on. Also I would think John you would be better with a made to measure as for your height the off the shelf suits would likely be too baggy around the waist.

IMHO the seat on the right of your photo (not sure of the model) is a much better design to get in and out of the car with on a regular basis as the side bolsters are not too high. May not work for you though. I assume you will be going 5 point harness with a harness bar or half cage? If that's you intention then it wont make so much difference as its a bit of drama anyway latching up in a 5 point every time you get in the car so climbing over the bolster will be a minor issue....

Yes the land diving was the real deal and not a Tusker shirt or an Arsenal strip in sight. They have realized its a huge draw-card these days and take it pretty seriously. It was on my wife's "must see while in Vanuatu" list and our third attempted to get there. Glad we went. You can see where AJ Hacket may have drawn his inspiration. Probably the thing that's changed the most since you were there is the fact you can get emails on your phone without interruption flying Vila to Pentecoste!
Attached Images    
Old 05-11-2013, 04:22 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Mate of mine in Melbourne has a set of Composite worx seats on the way from Italy, he (almost) rivals Macca in terms of knowledge and $pending except Lotus Elises are his poison
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2013, 04:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Very cool seats David but far too modern IMHO for our antiquated cars.

I still believe that like the Heigo cages the Recaro Pole Position seat is the best quality/value ($800 usd) period and model correct seat version for our 964/993 cars. Unfortunately they just aren't suitable for those with a long torso or who are over 6'1" tall.

Given Johns head room challenge I think racetech offer a good range of product he can try before buying....

Do like those composite worx shells tho...
Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

+1 on the Sparco suit but I'm a Sparco nut so don't listen to me.

Speaking of track day warriors, check this out:

You may not like all the styling but the engineering and quality of parts is awesome.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Like BBi

Buy the racetech seat you feel is best but remember I am just saying get them to install the new design HD foam cushion.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxem
Dave, not sure how long it lasts but the adaptation process is quick so easy to try. It also spits out any faults on the system. You need the cables and software loaded on a laptop. I have both, however the window of opportunity is small. Off again offshore tomorrow afternoon for work.
Thanks John, I'm off to Shanghai today so won't get a chance for a few weeks to give it a good fang. I'll see how she goes when I get back. Drove it a small distance to boys Rugby this morning and it didn't seem as bad as the other day. God to know you've got the gear - thanks for the offer.
Shame I missed you, I just got back from there. If you're in Asia a bit let me know and we can get a beer. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?