Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I can say your wheels looked damn good today. I didn't say anything, but I sure did notice.

Ok, how do I get ahold of some of that stuff?
http://unitedcarcare.co.nz/shop/exterior-cleansing/valet-pro-dragons-breath-1l/
Old 06-07-2015, 08:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Walter, I've been updating FB, which you are unable to see.

BB2 is coming along well. New front guard, door and mirror. I'm going to adjust the guard/bumper gap tomorrow night. I think the way to do it is to jack the car up, take the wheel off and bend the metal strap in the wheel well. That determines how far the guard sticks out. I think doing that to the Grinch may be enough to sort out both guards.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
How do you think this colour will look on a GT4?
It has to be done. White is nice but that is going to be relatively unique down here
Old 06-07-2015, 03:42 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-899693483.htm

This will be an interesting sale. Not one for the traditional Porsche market
Old 06-07-2015, 04:09 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcarplayer

I think it's quite cool...
Old 06-07-2015, 04:16 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
I think it's quite cool...
It is quite a cool car. I saw it a couple of months ago. I've seen better executed modified show cars but this one stood out in a sea of purity at Caffeine and Classics. I certainly had to have a look. Place it in Woerthersee (SOWO) or H2O and it would look a little unfinished IMO

Last edited by pcarplayer; 06-07-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:19 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer

2.7l engine with grossly oversized tyres - it won't handle or go like a Porsche?

Looks are subjective, but the butchering of the cars performance is the killer for me.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Torque only matters when you're in the wrong gear.
Quite true. Im sure this is where PDK has its advantages. The systems are so integrated now that Porsche has found a way of masking the relative lack of toque in the flat 6 NA engines with PDK at least when used in full auto mode.

That "2.7 Outlaw" is a real hoot. I think Ive seen it before. Has wicked "stance" and I felt is was a nicely resolved project obviously with an owners unique mission statement and not a car to drive on a bumpy back road or at the track but as a boulevard cruiser or a static sculpture its really quite a think. $80K may sound rich but if its done as well as it looks it would cost a lot more to replicate if that's your cup of tea...not a drivers car tho.

Matts right Paul. Your LSD will surely be shot and acting as an open diff by now. The factory mech Diff on the GT3s up to the 991 Gen were commonly regarded as chocolate. Its an easy upgrade, you dont need the housing just the clutch pack and these can be acquired at modest cost from Guards in the USA. I think the 40/60 would be best for your application. IIRC around $2500 NZD for the pack and bits and bobs landed. The labour cost is probably another 15 hrs.

Final drives, re gearing, capacity increase (sharkworks are popular with the 997 GT3 crowd) all big dollar modifications relatively speaking. Have a chat to Nigel too. I think he's done headers as his only real performance enhancement and maybe something in terms of suspension. he seems to get around pretty well and so does John (I think his MK 2 is stock). Take it to the dual sprints and see how it resolves itself before you make any final decisions.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=gt38088;12340776]
Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^ Like the colour.QUOTE]

Me too. back to PTS?
Hi mate. I was reading how the PTS window may open early 2016 for the GT4 and just daydreaming I suppose. Frankly I dont think I could be bothered again with the uncertainty and added complexity of it all although its definitely intriguing and currency dependant could be compelling. Im still happy with white for now but then I saw this blue and after studying Mexico/Riviera/Maritime/Voodoo options closely for the GT3 back in 2013 when it looked like a slot may open I did like this Arrow Blue better (I have around 6 pictures of it and think I can see the "real" colour). So in answer to your question - PTS? Probably not but it would be good to have a colour up my sleeve if the planets did align...
Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. The specs to the left of that sheet are the factory ones for your car and to the right are the track settings. I dont know why I have that spec sheet, must have had it a long time and remembered the right hand specs being RS but maybe not. Im sure Google will locate the 6.2RS specs for you.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. BB2 looks like a new car! Well done!!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:51 PM
mjg
Pro

Its an easy upgrade, you dont need the housing just the clutch pack and these can be acquired at modest cost from Guards in the USA. I think the 40/60 would be best for your application.
I don't know why you're quoting lockup percentages as you don't change the ramps on the 996 LSD since they're fine, all you need is to replace the plates with hardier Cup (or Guard) ones.

The 997 LSD has less than ideal lockup characteristics as Porsche moved much of the duty to the electronics via a clever/dumb use of rear braking.

Paul. The specs to the left of that sheet are the factory ones for your car and to the right are the track settings. I dont know why I have that spec sheet, must have had it a long time and remembered the right hand specs being RS but maybe not. Im sure Google will locate the 6.2RS specs for you.
The settings on the right are fairly aggressive track/race settings supplied via Roland Kussmaul at Porsche. They're a pretty common starting point for people doing track work. Considering your sheet doesn't have Roland's last name spelled correctly, I'd get a second opinion on the rest of the details listed before using them.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:57 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
2.7l engine with grossly oversized tyres - it won't handle or go like a Porsche?

Looks are subjective, but the butchering of the cars performance is the killer for me.
The tyres aren't super wide, the wheels have just been pushed out for looks.

Name:  388574836.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  63.4 KB

I can see this car being popular with the style-over-substance crew; even then I struggle to see $80k of value there... but there's a sucker born every minute.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I don't know why you're quoting lockup percentages as you don't change the ramps on the 996 LSD since they're fine, all you need is to replace the plates with hardier Cup (or Guard) ones.

The 997 LSD has less than ideal lockup characteristics as Porsche moved much of the duty to the electronics via a clever/dumb use of rear braking.

The settings on the right are fairly aggressive track/race settings supplied via Roland Kussmaul at Porsche. They're a pretty common starting point for people doing track work. Considering your sheet doesn't have Roland's last name spelled correctly, I'd get a second opinion on the rest of the details listed before using them.
Matt as I stated in my post the sheet was found on a historic file I had and I have no history of how I acquired it. Im sure the interweb can identify its providence.

If the ramp angles on the 6.2 GT3 are already 40/60 then you wont need Guards billet ramps (there are probably more useful for later GT3 owners). But these are nice to have as they also have a second set of ramp angles design into them (more aggressive and suited for a track only car) so you can choose downstream for more/less lock out if you require. No extra cost to install them. The ramps are very reasonably priced IIRC ($500?) and if I were upgrading the clutch pack I would consider them as they allow flexibility for the future at marginal additional cost....
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 PM
sp1ked
Instructor

Default 964 for sale

This seems appropriately priced to me - http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=899104205

Still on Trademe now but I expect it's almost gone by now. Unless there's a history?? Anyone?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?