Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It is tempting at times to find an income source that allows more flexibility, but then I look at the wider group and realise that this is not unique to me e.g. no shows at the Arrive and Drive, laptops out on the SITT, phone calls back to the office to sort out issues while stopped by the side of the road.
John. Its not such a big deal missing an event here and there because of work. To be honest, being a well paid employee today has significant merits I would not give away lightly. The world of the small businessman, business owner, self employed, entrepreneur etc comes with significant risks and stress (much more so than being an employee in my opinion). I would just hang in there as long as you can till they give you the golden handshake and after that take it easy.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:11 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Its not such a big deal missing an event here and there because of work. To be honest, being a well paid employee today has significant merits I would not give away lightly. The world of the small businessman, business owner, self employed, entrepreneur etc comes with significant risks and stress (much more so than being an employee in my opinion). I would just hang in there as long as you can till they give you the golden handshake and after that take it easy.
^^^ What he said............

Since being self employed, I have never had more than a week off (even over Xmas) or actually taken 4 weeks annual leave in a year?

Or a sick day?
Old 06-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Debt is a wonderful motivator Paul :-)
Old 06-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Were you happy with OCD work on the 993?
Old 06-24-2015, 06:39 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Debt is a wonderful motivator Paul :-)
It's not debt, I drive an old GT3 to be unencumbered.

It's more the cost of living and Porsche consumables...... My car hobby running at circa $3K a month could fund a $750K mortgage........

It would be cheaper to develop other recreational drug habits and keep a mistress?

If I didn’t have Porsches, I could 'almost' afford to live in Kohi with other the Porsche guys...........
Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Im sure like many others on here you could own a Porsche for less than 36K a year overhead you have stated. We choose to spend the money going on holiday with our cars (NITT, SITT) and take them to the track (need for tyres, pads and up to date maintenance). The majority of PCNZ members (by way of example) choose to drive their Porsches occasionally and on the weekends and have a far lower cost of ownership per annum. Its a hobby. Like flying, or boating. We can choose to stop at any time we like (and get a mistress or a drug habit). This is why we do not complain about the cost :-)
Old 06-24-2015, 06:59 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
It's more the cost of living and Porsche consumables...... My car hobby running at circa $3K a month could fund a $750K mortgage........
Ouch - am hoping that's just your annus horribilis and not your average Paul, otherwise your annual burn rate is about the same as my total cost of ownership after five years of having the car. And that includes depreciation, repairs, maintenance, upgrades, entry fees (targa hurts) and the difference in fuel use and insurance over a 2L japper. I guess a repaint would jack that up but a repaint makes little sense on a working girl.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:01 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

We choose to spend the money going on holiday with our cars (NITT, SITT) and take them to the track (need for tyres, pads and up to date maintenance). We can choose to stop at any time we like (and get a mistress or a drug habit). This is why we do not complain about the cost :-)
<--- Just look at the word under our handles at left. Explains it all...
Old 06-24-2015, 07:13 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
True - Macca is the only one lucky enough to be retired in his 40's.

I tired copying his car portfolio (993/GT3), but apparently this is not the secret of his success?? As I am still working 6 days a week (now 6.5 to pay for the GT3 consumables)

As none of us are smart enough to have created something and live off royalties or passive income, we all understand mate..........
The central banks of the world buggered up the idea of living off conservative income based investment strategies by taking interest rates to zero around the world. Returns are still available but do you want to invest aggressively and risk large chunks of capital? Stay in AKL property a bit longer me thinks.

Meanwhile same old story work harder and keep funding events and machinery.....

However a few days in Queenstown in the last week and although cold the clear blue sky and scenery makes you think that too much work is not a good thing. Can't have it all ways.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:19 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Paul. Im sure like many others on here you could own a Porsche for less than 36K a year overhead you have stated. We choose to spend the money going on holiday with our cars (NITT, SITT) and take them to the track (need for tyres, pads and up to date maintenance). The majority of PCNZ members (by way of example) choose to drive their Porsches occasionally and on the weekends and have a far lower cost of ownership per annum. Its a hobby. Like flying, or boating. We can choose to stop at any time we like (and get a mistress or a drug habit). This is why we do not complain about the cost :-)

"I choose" - spoken like a true addict.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:22 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Were you happy with OCD work on the 993?
Cleaning was excellent - stone chip correction crap.

Would go to final touch for paint correction, but really happy with OCD with cleaining.

Final Touch fill the chip with paint so it's level, OCD just did an artist bush touch up.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

On a completely different note, communications with the new owner of the Turbo 3.6 raise the likelihood of a magazine article on the purchase and renovation. Part of the story is finding a car on the opposite side of the World. I've suggested a side story to show the UK readers how many of their cars end up in NZ. Off the top of my head we have Chris M, Doug, Jake, Peter, Tony & Me with ex UK cars. Who have I missed? I'd like to get a quality photo of all the cars together.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:36 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
On a completely different note, communications with the new owner of the Turbo 3.6 raise the likelihood of a magazine article on the purchase and renovation. Part of the story is finding a car on the opposite side of the World. I've suggested a side story to show the UK readers how many of their cars end up in NZ. Off the top of my head we have Chris M, Doug, Jake, Peter, Tony & Me with ex UK cars. Who have I missed? I'd like to get a quality photo of all the cars together.
Nice John. Mine was a UK tourist import. Like Macca's GT3, but via Guernsey rather than Switzerland. So a UK spec car first registered and driven in a UK tax haven for 3-6 months then brought back here by her NZ owner. Is there room in the clubhouse?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Nice John. Mine was a UK tourist import. Like Macca's GT3, but via Guernsey rather than Switzerland. So a UK spec car first registered and driven in a UK tax haven for 3-6 months then brought back here by her NZ owner. Is there room in the clubhouse?
I think anything counted as a UK registered car is valid.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Isn't Dave's 82SC ex UK? Im sure Steve R own's at least 3 ex UK cars?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?