Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Suncoast is a good start, though the shipping narrows the price gap a bit: https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego..._spoilers.html Else take your chances on Ebay, or Alibaba?
Part number is 9965059869301c. That Sunset link is the cheapest I could see. Design 911 don't stock them, which is where I got my C4S one. They are difficult to ship. I think you could find the Sûnset one is $800 landed. I would ship two if it was me as they could tie them together and make it cheaper per unit. After market ones are available for the Turbo on eBay. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:09 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Warwick. Thats a Go Car not a Show Car as John would say :-)
Haha. Actually, Macca, I have a hankering to bust out my polisher so if you are interested i'd like to offer to work on your car if you willing to take the risk The only thing is i don't have any more room to do it at home and would need a venue. Somewhere with power, water and space (double garage size and an area to wash the car), and that I could work in the evenings/weekend with some moderate noise. The car would need to stay there for a week or two while i worked on it (sorry i'm a part timer). It would take a little time - e.g. wax/sealant should have 24 hours cure time between layers.

It wouldn't be a wheels off detail and I wouldn't risk your car to fix stone chips or wet sanding RDS (Random Deep Scratches) but i'm sure we could get it looking pretty tasty
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Walter and John etc. - where do you guys import your front chin spoliers from. I see a 996 GT3 one costs $900 at mates rates in NZ?? I need a cheaper source........
The 996 GT3 Cup splitter (slightly deeper and wider) are around $250 locally, plus double-sided tape and plastic expansion screws. The standard one has the tape fitted, so you just need the screws.

I've got a brand-new-in-box standard splitter I bought locally that I'll never use. You can have for less than retail (RSG discount) - make an offer if you want it.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Unrelated to any P car activity but I've been following a chap who is off to Bonneville to attempt a LSR. I was at the annual University Rugby club lunch last year and sat next to him and got chatting and have followed his progress since. A serious attempt and he has a band of enthusiasts behind him. Very passionate and has left his job to concentrate on the effort. He is Building up a Moto Guzzi from scratch and adding a supercharger.
Interesting day the other day, went out to Muriwai for its first ever run - not fast but just a shakedown. Busted apart the rear shaft drive so not so good - too much grunt. A real kiwi attempt - note the lump of driftwood as the stand. I was tempted to get the old SC out on the beach but the entrance was a bit soft so wisely parked it and jumped in a 4x4 for the 10k drive up the beach away from people and horses for when she fired up.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Warwick, thanks for your superbly generous offer! I have sent you PM...

Dave, love the spirit of that LSR effort and Kiwiana aspect of it. Obviously we have a tradition here to uphold. Beach races and motorcycles remind me of that most fantastic of movies that should be in every motorheads collection....
Old 05-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

REMINDER: For those intending to participate in the 2016 South Island Track Tour please could you pay your deposit to the RSG account in the next few days...:-)
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Warwick, thanks for your superbly generous offer! I have sent you PM...
No worries, I sent you an email
Old 05-28-2015, 11:21 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

How do you guys feel about Dean leaving as service mgr at CCS?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Did you end up fitting your eBay sourced lip Walt? Was it any good? How about Phil or Chris?

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Suncoast is a good start, though the shipping narrows the price gap a bit:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego..._spoilers.html

Else take your chances on Ebay, or Alibaba?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
How do you guys feel about Dean leaving as service mgr at CCS?
Didn't know that had happened. Not good news for me, hopefully good news for him?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Didn't know that had happened. Not good news for me, hopefully good news for him?
I imagine Macca has the inside skinny on this. I know nothing so can speculate:

1. Taking a career break to finish the long hood?

2. Joining up with Steve to open an Auckland based independent?

3. Becoming Macca's personal mechanic?

4. Setting up a one man car storage and garage operation in Riverhead, close to Woodcocks Rd

More seriously, this is where businesses are tested. Is the current success due to Dean or the overall CCS package? I suspect a bit of both.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:02 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Unrelated to any P car activity but I've been following a chap who is off to Bonneville to attempt a LSR.
Straight pipes, clip-ons, front brake delete, steam punk aero - looks the part for a hard-case speed record attempt!

Originally Posted by nzskater
Did you end up fitting your eBay sourced lip Walt? Was it any good? How about Phil or Chris?
Jake, it looked good once fitted but took the strength of Hercules and an hour or so of swearing to attach to the car since it came about 3 or 4mm short at each corner.

Once on, it almost lasted through Targa (Paul can vouch for how I was boganing the speed humps around Rotorua to stop it scraping) but gave up the fight about halfway through the last special stage on a bump that followed a dip. A loud bang and we ran it over. I've got a spare aero one for her Sunday best look but will probably just fit the old worn one for daily use as it didn't lose half an inch of wear off the bottom by accident. The aero lips don't mix well with pushing it on NZ back roads - ChrisB has the right idea with his C4 lip, even if it is a lot less sexy.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
The 996 GT3 Cup splitter (slightly deeper and wider) are around $250 locally, plus double-sided tape and plastic expansion screws. The standard one has the tape fitted, so you just need the screws.

I've got a brand-new-in-box standard splitter I bought locally that I'll never use. You can have for less than retail (RSG discount) - make an offer if you want it.
Matt where do a get a cup splitter for $250 - this is my first pic? Or I will make that offer.

Warwick - you are welcome to detail a gt3 too if you want. Happy to work a contra.

Matt - do you have a line on reasonably priced 996 RS rep tail - similar to yours?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:14 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I imagine Macca has the inside skinny on this. I know nothing so can speculate:

1. Taking a career break to finish the long hood?

2. Joining up with Steve to open an Auckland based independent?

3. Becoming Macca's personal mechanic?

4. Setting up a one man car storage and garage operation in Riverhead, close to Woodcocks Rd

More seriously, this is where businesses are tested. Is the current success due to Dean or the overall CCS package? I suspect a bit of both.
I'd put $20 on 1 and 2 :-)

Option 3 is a given - Macca's Alk based PA.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:23 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Matt where do a get a cup splitter for $250 - this is my first pic? Or I will make that offer.

Warwick - you are welcome to detail a gt3 too if you want. Happy to work a contra.

Matt - do you have a line on reasonably priced 996 RS rep tail - similar to yours?
That was through CCS, P/N 996.505.986.91.

I don't think you'll find any of the wing options "reasonably priced", the Manthey wing I have was 3100 euro and I'm not sure if it's available any longer. Aeromotion wing is 2200 US plus shipping, but it is a different design and looks nothing like the RS wing. You'd also need an RS/Cup front PU (or cut and mesh slots in your existing one to suit), close the bottom vents on the front floor and tilt the center radiator back... otherwise the aero balance will be significantly altered.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?