Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:41 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about one of these?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-s-3dr/3928170

The pro-drive is the one to get I believe. Not an enormous amount of go, but great looker and hard to come by in NZ.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mercedes GLA45AMG (360 BHP) looks promising on paper, basically a better looking A45AMG. 35k GBP for a 2014 with 5000 miles. as I suspected Mercedes NZ very sharp now with 2000km demo for 82K NZD so there wouldn't be more than 10k NZD in it? Porsche NZ need to take a leaf from their book!!

Carlton - only one on Pistonheads well over budget although it's an exceptional example can't help but think Holden Commodore HSV. zero integrale for sale so rare birds these days in UK....

Vx220 looking like an interesting car. I see the turbo version easily remapped to 245 BHP and with a few other low cost mods gives the exige & Elise a run for their money.
Attached Images    
Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
What about one of these? http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-s-3dr/3928170 The pro-drive is the one to get I believe. Not an enormous amount of go, but great looker and hard to come by in NZ.
Jason. That's a really interesting/different option and I really like it. DEFINITELY gets high on the list. Would be very unique and looks great too. Bet it sounds nice!

Last edited by Macca; 06-17-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

USED CAR IDEAS FOR EXPORT - GB - UNDER 30K GBP inc VAT

BMW 330D (current gen)
Cayman S MT Gen2
Lotus Exige S
Mercedes GLA
Renaultsport Megene R26.R
C63 AMG 4-matic
Maserati Gran Tourism 4.2
Noble M12
Clio V6
Alfa Brera V6 "Prosport edition"
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Old 06-17-2015, 05:04 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mercedes GLA45AMG (360 BHP) looks promising on paper, basically a better looking A45AMG. 35k GBP for a 2014 with 5000 miles. as I suspected Mercedes NZ very sharp now with 2000km demo for 82K NZD so there wouldn't be more than 10k NZD in it? Porsche NZ need to take a leaf from their book!!

Carlton - only one on Pistonheads well over budget although it's an exceptional example can't help but think Holden Commodore HSV. zero integrale for sale so rare birds these days in UK....

Vx220 looking like an interesting car. I see the turbo version easily remapped to 245 BHP and with a few other low cost mods gives the exige & Elise a run for their money.
36K ono will get you this VX220 Turbo that is already in NZ:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-889940367.htm
Old 06-17-2015, 05:08 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

This is interesting. Even jap imported Honda NSX manual in UK make the grade!

However it appears there is one for sale with similar mileage in TM that is the same year, manual and looks very clean for 69K NZD so about the same price once haggled....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-890886714.htm
I'm pretty sure that was an auto originally and was changed to manual.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:15 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

If Matt held out on flicking the 4.0 RS by six months he too may have made another hundie?

Timing..................??
I was quite happy with the timing - the sale price was the same as a near identical car I saw today in London.

On another note - viewed 3 x 959's today. Their price ha marched on with prices in the GBP 900 - 1m range now for good low Km ones.

The UK dealers are talking GBP30 over list for 991 RS when it arrives and a healthy margin over list for GT4. I think timing will be crucial with these cars though.

Currently having a beer in Knightsbridge and the car **** on the streets is truly amazing.......
Old 06-17-2015, 05:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
I was quite happy with the timing - the sale price was the same as a near identical car I saw today in London.

On another note - viewed 3 x 959's today. Their price ha marched on with prices in the GBP 900 - 1m range now for good low Km ones.

The UK dealers are talking GBP30 over list for 991 RS when it arrives and a healthy margin over list for GT4. I think timing will be crucial with these cars though.

Currently having a beer in Knightsbridge and the car **** on the streets is truly amazing.......
Given how little the red 959 has moved at CCS in the last two years I'm not sure I'd value low mileage much, unless I wanted one for a static art display. Are you shopping?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
36K ono will get you this VX220 Turbo that is already in NZ: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-889940367.htm
Thanks Nik I didn't see that. Looks like a cherished example and pricing assuming some negotiation seems very fair (cheaper than importing from UK).

Matt. I know of one 991 RS sold 50k GBP over already. Take a look at the GT3 prices some of those already 1 months old asking 40k GBP over list. Guy who bought Johns car got a very healthy figure as px on 991 RS.

Mike in NZ did swap with his 959 when they were still 120k GBP. that was 4 years back. They were under 250k till last year. 900k is serious bubble market...
Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 PM
BadgerNZ
Track Day

VX220s are a hard sell here in NZ, they typically hang around for a long time. In the UK they're not very sought after either and are nightmares to insure. Vauxhall don't stock parts for them any more (body panels and lights etc) so ridiculously minor crash damage ends up writing them off. Conversely that means you can pick up Cat C/D repaired ones for pocket change in the UK that had no more than a parking-lot nudge.

Exiges are probably a better prospect, but are still a very limited market and you probably won't get a quick sell.

When I looked at it a few years back, the sensible way to do it would be to import a BMW M-car or a Porsche of some kind as the markups on each over here relative to UK made it very viable. However, recent stratospheric rices in the price of pork in the UK have made this a lot less attractive since prices here haven't shifted as much. I'd be looking at something like an E39 M5 perhaps?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:31 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
Given how little the red 959 has moved at CCS in the last two years I'm not sure I'd value low mileage much, unless I wanted one for a static art display. Are you shopping?
Always got a lazy eye out........
Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

With the massive depreciation of the NZD this excercise has been significantly more difficult than first anticipated. After a bit of further research it would appear that on a fiscal basis there is almost no benefit now in a late model UK import Euro over what is laready on offer through the local car yards (probably pruchased when the GBP was 10% weaker a few months back).

I think if you were to do this successfully you would need to choose a model of car of which there are only one or two in NZ and which have an enthusiasts angle. This would hopefully mean you could sell the car in NZ after a few years use and if lucky would get back what you paid for it in UK. I have highlighted the most suitable cars so far below.

USED CAR IDEAS FOR EXPORT - GB - UNDER 30K GBP inc VAT

BMW 330D (current gen) - Currently there is a 2013 M sport model on TM with 18k km for 69K NZD (probably haggle to 65K). UK cars of similar colour, spec, age and mileage are asking 24-26K GBP on Pistonheads which lands them today at approximately $60K NZD. Given the FX forecast I would imagine this could turn upside down within six months.
Cayman S MT Gen2 - 30-35K buys you a sellection and there is a PDK on TM in the 60s. With the FX its a wash but there is more choice in UK.
Lotus Exige S Works but poor resale in NZ?
Mercedes GLA - Same as above for BMW & Cayman. NZ pricing is realistic.
Renaultsport Megene R26.R - Works on basis no choice in NZ
C63 AMG 4-matic - TM cars of similar vintage ex UK are parr value vs import. Still depreciating
Maserati Gran Tourism 4.2 - It works on arbitrage but unknown market in NZ and still depreciating
Noble M12
Clio V6
Alfa Brera V6 "Prosport edition" - This may work on value hold in NZ market as there are none I know in NZ for sale and Alfa fans may find this of interest when sold on the nZ secondary market although at a landed cost around 37K NZD it will be akmost twice the cost of the 2 litre base model in NZ used market. Interesting option.
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo - As discussed above perhaps residuals in NZ not so strong and with TM car less than UK import not a viable option.

With the NZ Q1 2015 GDP a big miss in the last 45 mins and a heavy sell off of the NZD with more depreciation on the way I think its probably safe to say the golden days of UK car imports to NZ are over! This exercise would have had more favourable outcomes 6 months ago. The market is going to get interesting. If NZD hits 0.65 USD by year end and 0.41 GBP/0.58 Euro as predicted the formula no longer holds.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BadgerNZ
VX220s are a hard sell here in NZ, they typically hang around for a long time. In the UK they're not very sought after either and are nightmares to insure. Vauxhall don't stock parts for them any more (body panels and lights etc) so ridiculously minor crash damage ends up writing them off. Conversely that means you can pick up Cat C/D repaired ones for pocket change in the UK that had no more than a parking-lot nudge.

Exiges are probably a better prospect, but are still a very limited market and you probably won't get a quick sell.

When I looked at it a few years back, the sensible way to do it would be to import a BMW M-car or a Porsche of some kind as the markups on each over here relative to UK made it very viable. However, recent stratospheric rices in the price of pork in the UK have made this a lot less attractive since prices here haven't shifted as much. I'd be looking at something like an E39 M5 perhaps?

Thanks for the Intel here George. especially on the VX220 & Lotus product.

Already owned a E39 M5 (twice). Great wagon but getting long in the tooth. I see a reasonable miles NZ example can be found around 25K or less these days so I think these maybe a safer local option...
Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

With the NZ Q1 2015 GDP a big miss in the last 45 mins and a heavy sell off of the NZD with more depreciation on the way I think its probably safe to say the golden days of UK car imports to NZ are over! This exercise would have had more favourable outcomes 6 months ago. The market is going to get interesting. If NZD hits 0.65 USD by year end and 0.41 GBP/0.58 Euro as predicted the formula no longer holds.
So, if you're a buyer, get out there quickly for NZ based cars, and if you own one it shouldn't have new import competition for a while. Good news for Pete, Jake, Doug, Chris M and Me with UK new cars.

Last edited by John McM; 06-17-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
So, if you're a buyer, get out there quickly for NZ based cars, and if you own one it shouldn't have new import competition for a while. Good news for Pete, Jake, Doug and Me with UK new cars.
I'd say that sums it up pretty well.

The only disappointments here are that there is little incentive once the import pressure comes off for Porsche in NZ to lower their new car prices. There is added incentive in the future for used Porsches to export to UK at least as long as price remain buoyant over there. As the rarer and more sought after variants are exported it will stabilise the local values and lift them over time. The only possible fly in the ointment is the NZ economy which is not showing any growth (real growth).

Jason will do well from the 3.3T as I predicted long ago if the above scenario comes to pass. actually it may become the model example given original purchase price to eventual bet NZD sale return!! well done!

If the currency flips like it may do against the GBP my GT3 will be heading to the UK as will others (assumes used prices hold in UK but that window starts closing in early 2017 with advent of replacement model). I could see 6.1 GT3s heading there within the next 12 months.

The result of this will be less old 911s circulating in Targa and RSG track days I predict. it's a real shame but it is market dynamics and progress I guess..

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?