Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:08 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thesnowman
My car was so neglected that it doesnt fit in one of their packages haha. Was a clean, cut, polish and wax. Was super oxidized, left it with them for 2 weeks to do in their spare time.

I would recommend them, they are passionate about what they do and really spend the time and do it right. Also had our work 2014 skoda vrs polished and a sealant applied.

Also their Dragon Breath wheel cleaner is amazing, havent used anything like it. http://unitedcarcare.co.nz/shop/exte...-breath-500ml/
They sound good. I do all my own detailing. My last paint correction took me > 30 hours. But i'm just a hobbyist. It included a 3 stage polish plus 2 sealant application with a 24 hours cure time between applications plus 1 final wax for pop

Be careful when you spend all that dosh on detailing and take it to the shop for repairs. Some shops like to "wash" the car after making repairs. I have to be extremely clear about not cleaning my car after they do work regardless how it looks. I've been bitten recently and had to re-do my car. Wasn't happy

Once you have it corrected learn to wash it properly and you won't have to spend all that hard earned again in 3 months time
Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I bet it's the exact same color & can. Definitely will do proper paint when I get the color right.

The color on Macca's is what I want - need to figure out a way to get a wheel like that staged on my car.

What I was going to ask Arrow to do was take my paint code and add dark until it looks right. It'll be $12-1400 to strip and repaint them, so I want it to look just right. I can then use that color for possibly accessorizing some other bits (thanks Paul).

Originally Posted by O2GO
Dave put a very similar if not the same colour on a set of D90s of Lola's. They looked good when it was fresh but by the end of the SITT the brake dust was really engrained and they looked pretty bad. I found them really hard to clean and in the end removed the plasti-dip. It's quite a job to remove. I used the peel it off/rub it off rather than solvent method to reduce the horrible mess. Avoid plastidip IMO and go straight to paint.

Good luck with the colour choice. The 991 GT3 wheel colour is very nice alright.
Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ Agreed too blue - but like where you are heading.

Should just copy colour of Macca's GT3 wheels??
Old 04-13-2015, 07:32 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks for the recommendation. The Spyder rims on the R are driving me nuts trying to keep them clean.
John, once you've got them clean (properly) with an iron remover like Dragons Breath the trick is to apply a sealant like you do your paint. You can use a wax like Poorboys Wheel Wax which is cheaper but doesn't last as long or Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour which is pricey but kick ****
Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
John, once you've got them clean (properly) with an iron remover like Dragons Breath the trick is to apply a sealant like you do your paint. You can use a wax like Poorboys Wheel Wax which is cheaper but doesn't last as long or Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour which is pricey but kick ****
Warwick, I think we need that promised detailing tuition.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:18 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the recommendation. The Spyder rims on the R are driving me nuts trying to keep them clean.
+1 - Just finished the Meguirs one so will give that a go.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nic, Matt and Andrew etc. I need a good builder in Napier who can do a small commercial fitout. Do you have any recommendations please. Must be a commerical builder (i.e. plays with aluminium) and 'safe hands' as managed from Alk. Only a 200m2 fitout.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:21 PM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Question, what are people using to mount fixed back buckets in their 964's?

I have a sparco which im wanting in my car for the arrive & drive on 28th. The stock seating position is just waaay to high for me, and thats before I have even put my helmet on!

stock seat is electric. Have done a bit of reading and looks like I will need new seat rails for the bucket seat.......which actually suits me as I want to swap it out for daily driving in favour of the stock item.

Where have others got/brought/made seat rails?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nmaisey

I have a sparco which im wanting in my car for the arrive & drive on 28th. The stock seating position is just waaay to high for me, and thats before I have even put my helmet on!

stock seat is electric. Have done a bit of reading and looks like I will need new seat rails for the bucket seat.......which actually suits me as I want to swap it out for daily driving in favour of the stock item.

Nathan, contact Steve R. I bought two Cobra RS Replica seats off him and he supplied the bases as well. He altered the driver base to give me extra headroom. I'm 6'4" and have absolutely no problem fitting in the car with a helmet. In fact, Steve has the position so low that other drivers just need a backwards baseball cap to complete the boy racer image. I still have lateral adjustment. A big success.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Today it was raining so no cement works could proceed on house 2. Instead the boys just started bracing the timber framing on House 1.

"CK" (the little boy who appears in the picture) was following me around the building site. Rain had turned much of the ground soft. Just then, near CKs house out in the open I saw a little toy car in the dirt. I picked it up and low and behold look what I found! An old matchbox Porsche 928! It was a sign from above I tell you - I showed the building crew and told them the association with the generous donors who had made what they were building a reality (I told them these were people who love cars and driving that I knew all around the world). Here's a few pictures from today. You have to love chance and fate. How that little 928 toy got to the village and was lost on the building site I have no idea!!
Attached Images   
Old 04-14-2015, 12:23 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Today it was raining so no cement works could proceed on house 2. Instead the boys just started bracing the timber framing on House 1.

"CK" (the little boy who appears in the picture) was following me around the building site. Rain had turned much of the ground soft. Just then, near CKs house out in the open I saw a little toy car in the dirt. I picked it up and low and behold look what I found! An old matchbox Porsche 928! It was a sign from above I tell you - I showed the building crew and told them the association with the generous donors who had made what they were building a reality (I told them these were people who love cars and driving that I knew all around the world). Here's a few pictures from today. You have to love chance and fate. How that little 928 toy got to the village and was lost on the building site I have no idea!!
Very cool story!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I put one in my 964. I actually got the pro's to do it on the grounds that I've given up grovelling around in and under cars. Long story short, I had to undo most of their work and reset it all to my liking.
Total factory seat and adjuster rails came out and back in went new rails that came with the seat.
The rails were drilled to suit the factory chassis mounts and then the side brackets for the race bucket were fitted up to those. So everything was stacked up on top at lowest possible settings.
In terms of head room and seat rake, I got it working OK for me. I like a low position and achieved this. I am six foot but only with a good set of shoe soles on. Any taller and this set up would be marginal with a helmet.
Distant memory kicking in now but I don't think there is much room between the 964 rail mount points to drop a race bucket and side brackets in between unless you have snake hips. john's 964 set up is possible I think because the seats he has fitted have the rails quite inboard and this allows a mounting frame to come off the chassis points and drop down in between.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Distant memory kicking in now but I don't think there is much room between the 964 rail mount points to drop a race bucket and side brackets in between unless you have snake hips. john's 964 set up is possible I think because the seats he has fitted have the rails quite inboard and this allows a mounting frame to come off the chassis points and drop down in between.
Correct. The space is quite narrow. The design of the Cobra seat allows the rear to hang down between the rails.

With respect to seats for the 28th I wouldnt go mad for one day. If you decide to do more days, then sure sort it out. BTW: I'm assuming that you can fit in the car with a helmet. If not, Steve may have something as his sons drive and they're both tall.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

Good one Macca. How those guys work outside in the Tropical heat is beyond me. A 200m stroll for lunch in Apia is as much as I can stand.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:56 AM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Correct. The space is quite narrow. The design of the Cobra seat allows the rear to hang down between the rails.

With respect to seats for the 28th I wouldnt go mad for one day. If you decide to do more days, then sure sort it out. BTW: I'm assuming that you can fit in the car with a helmet. If not, Steve may have something as his sons drive and they're both tall.
Cheers guys,

Already sent Steve an email so will see what happens. I did the twilight session on 2 April and now have the bug...... the seating position with a helmet is quite a pain in the A for me. Im only 6ft but man i have to slouch and **** my neck to fit, that cant be good
Old 04-14-2015, 01:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Cheers guys,

Already sent Steve an email so will see what happens. I did the twilight session on 2 April and now have the bug...... the seating position with a helmet is quite a pain in the A for me. Im only 6ft but man i have to slouch and **** my neck to fit, that cant be good
Pete has the same issue. With him it's body length.

Nothing is worse than not fitting in the car comfortably. Lending you my passenger seat wouldnt help as it's not lowered and the belt recepticle is on the wrong side.

The R is ok with buckets, but I'm struggling to get the left foot in a good position for braking. On the 964 I have the Mod 07 Wheel that brings the wheel closer to me and gives my legs room to move. Another mod worth looking at.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?