Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 03:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, doesn't that clash with your 2k cup racing?
2k Cup Saturday (not that my entry was accepted) - Dino on Sunday 03 May??
Old 05-01-2015, 03:51 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
Major Service, new wires, distributor caps & rotors, plugs... Bit of wear on the old distributors and rotors with evidence of some excessive burn arcing.

Running very sweet now, albeit it was before ;-)

Just waiting for the Rennline engine mounts, somewhere between Auckland and QT.

S
Spokes - are you quietly trying to take Macca and I on with the 993 mod's?

You and I might need to compare notes - can't be too much in it? I think I might have suspension on you (PSS10's, solid side mounts and RS uprights), otherwise the same mod's? Mind you - I only have stock exhaust and got increased sound through engine mounts, bigger exaust tips (which actually made a difference) and motorsport air box.

Macca is $100K ahead
Old 05-01-2015, 03:53 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Nice. Will be interesting for you to experience before/after when you fit the new mounts. Look sexy too :-D
You get this lovely engine vibration that goes though the car and that you can feel in the bum of your seat - also makes the engine slightly louder inside the car, which is a good thing IMHO as 993's are too quiet inside.

Apparantly a performance mod - but mostly 'acoustic', so good for 2/10th's......
Old 05-01-2015, 04:55 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'm in the 246 Dino - my dream car as a kid (and stilll as a big kid)

See you there Luke, Matt and Stu.

Looks to be an awesome day!
Good stuff! Will be an awesome day. Tough job driving the Enzo! Will come say hello to you guys.

Must give a shout out to Alex at European Leather Care in Petone. My seats were really starting to show the wear and tear of being a 20 year old car- they got a bit of a hammering on SITT too. So dropped the car into him this week and he worked his magic to get them looking like new! He took some before and afters. He did some nice work on a Diablo & 991 Turbo S in the albums too. https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanLea...86233108088125
Attached Images  

Last edited by Luke944; 05-01-2015 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the 991!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Impressive work Luke. Single best investment in the aesthetic of the car at resale time I should say!

Paul. I reckon with the hardback seats finally in you must be knocking on 110K on your 993. To be fair one could buy a good donor and achieve what I've done with my car for just under 150K. There is at least $20K of "waste/mistakes/never again" I'm already discounting here. The key differences as it stands would be exhaust, top mounts, uni-*****, spherical rear suspension assembly, 993 Big Red upgrade, turbo bumper with techart fog lights and plumbed brake ducts and inevitably the bespoke interior with acres of CF. I guess there are LWFC etc but you could consider those wear replacement items. The interior was a heavy investment (and would be non-viable now). You can see how quickly it gets to 150K if you take your car then add those items and the labour involved! No power upgrades included in this rough analysis - really you need to go for a really nice 3.8L upgrade to get performance benefits from power and that would be a +20K exercise...
Old 05-01-2015, 05:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve + David (South Island Rennlisters).

Would you be interested in participating on the South Island Track Tour next March? What about just the Highlands Motorsport Park part of it? We are building a team of entrants and have 15 prospective attendees, however we are likely to need fortified numbers for Highlands to make it work for the organisers. Just an enquiry and would you have any "call ins" could participate? Any other Rennlisters here active or voyeurs that would like to PM me regards this are welcome...
Old 05-01-2015, 05:27 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
.....Didn't get a chance to notice each and everyone's driving sorry but Macca was damn quick too and Leong (also on MPSC2s in his 2014 Competition Package BMW M5) drove the wheels off his machine to almost stay in touch with my Turbo in the wet when I had Racing Ray instructing me late in the day.
Nice to meet you Walter and drive with you. That was surprisingly fun at the end there in the rain - good practice feeling the car at limits of adhesion without too much risk of damage - sorta like dancing in the rain. Good to hear your positive comments about Ray's manner and attitude while instructing. I liked his comments at the briefing. I'm just rendering a video from our first session with you, Chris B and the white GT3 in front and Macca behind.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Further to Leong's M5 CP performance, I gave my car a tickle up some 18 months back, both for my own fun and also to keep it ahead of the latest super saloons, but the crop that came out around that time doesn't leave too much of a gap!
Yeah the M5 isn't short on horses in standard form. Hopefully I won't feel the loss of almost 200hp when I get the GT4. I'll also lose around 600kg.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke944
Good stuff! Will be an awesome day. Tough job driving the Enzo! Will come say hello to you guys.

Must give a shout out to Alex at European Leather Care in Petone. My seats were really starting to show the wear and tear of being a 20 year old car- they got a bit of a hammering on SITT too. So dropped the car into him this week and he worked his magic to get them looking like new! He took some before and afters. He did some nice work on a Diablo & 991 Turbo S in the albums too. https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanLea...86233108088125
seats look brilliant. well worth the investment. Is there any change in the softness/feel of the leather?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:34 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Apparantly a performance mod - but mostly 'acoustic', so good for 2/10th's......
Miller maths... 2/10ths plus 7/10ths.... Getting closer to gt3 or race car...?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
........ I confess my mind wasnt so much on the task of driving yesterday but I did enjoy chasing Leong (not so much being chased by him as this is when I spun!) and Nigel C and Jon Warring.
Haha, I must say that I enjoy being chaser much more than chasee too.... hence pulling over to let you by, otherwise it probably would have been my spinning!!
I have much experience in these things Here's the video of the session till your spin...

Old 05-01-2015, 05:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Have to love the question placement here. Photo credit to Aadjan
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2015, 05:58 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Steve + David (South Island Rennlisters).

Would you be interested in participating on the South Island Track Tour next March? What about just the Highlands Motorsport Park part of it? We are building a team of entrants and have 15 prospective attendees, however we are likely to need fortified numbers for Highlands to make it work for the organisers. Just an enquiry and would you have any "call ins" could participate? Any other Rennlisters here active or voyeurs that would like to PM me regards this are welcome...
OK, I will take my garage queen around Highlands - what the hell! I will have done my Brisbane training days by then too ;-)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spokes
OK, I will take my garage queen around Highlands - what the hell! I will have done my Brisbane training days by then too ;-)
Yay
Old 05-01-2015, 06:12 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
seats look brilliant. well worth the investment. Is there any change in the softness/feel of the leather?
There has. Doesn't really feel softer but does have a silky, matte feel to it now. Feels a lot more like modern leather. Money well spent as they fixed a few of the scuffs and nicks in the vinyl too.

Originally Posted by John McM
Have to love the question placement here. Photo credit to Aadjan
That's a great photo. I like the black stone guards and the red tow sticker too Macca.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:12 AM
Leong72
Instructor

The AIM is only 720HD and trades quality for telemetry, automated use, incredible build quality and simplicity. I just turn the car on and drive and it records 16 hrs on a 64gb card - simply pop it out and no manipulation needed.
I think I want one

.........Most impressive car and driver of the day for me was Leong and his M5CP. The car is a torque miester. It simply defies physics. In the dry it must be a weapon on the straights, and it doesn't appear shabby in the corners either, however this is where the 911s shine when the sun is out. I not sure on the ultimate lap times for your M5 Leong but the GT4 is going to have a tall bar to hurdle on turn of speed alone. Well driven too. It must be hard on tyres and brakes tho?
Thanks Mark. The car's pretty special really. Not too shabby on the track, I did consistent 1.16s at HD when the MPSC2's were new, 225km/h vmax. In comfort mode is like a limo with sun shades, soft close doors, ventilated seats. Has an electric towbar as well and tows the bikes to the Taupo very comfortably - the weight of the car is a positive here. Definitely make a good garagemate for the GT4. The GT4 accelerates to 100km/h 0.1 sec slower, not sure about the 0-200 times, but it is 15sec faster around the "ring" than the M5. The MPSC2's have done 8000km and 9 trackdays now and the fronts are shot. Having said that, on my last trackday before Tuesday (in the dry) I was still doing consistent 1.17s with the odd 1.16. Both tyres and brakes (rotors and sport pads) were replaced two trackdays before SITT this year and now need replacement, expensive, but I've definitely enjoyed it.

I guess the GT4 won't be as hard on tyres and brakes, but I'll probably have the same issues as you with heat cycles. We should get tyre warmers, like I have for the bike!!

Thanks to Mark, Pete and Steve for organising a great day despite the weather and oil.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?