Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:28 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put 1600 km on 993 last week- Kaikoura to Bluff, couple days work & back. Faultless apart from very dirty on arrival - got stuck behind a truck throwing up a lot of spray on the Monica Lewinsky highway.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Thats quite a good look there Doug. If I ever got around to getting a set of black rims with polished lips I would have loved Lola more. That sounds a bit kooky doesn't it.
You were too subtle on the Frankenstein D90s!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Thanks John. Have you had any issues when raising the whole rear of the car (as opposed to one side at a time) with that jack?
I have yet to raise the car that way as I don't have the right jack stands....yet. There is no reason it should be a problem as the rating is easily sufficient.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiraz
Put 1600 km on 993 last week- Kaikoura to Bluff, couple days work & back. Faultless apart from very dirty on arrival - got stuck behind a truck throwing up a lot of spray on the Monica Lewinsky highway.
Brings back memories of a great road trip. Good to hear you are putting the mileage on. It's what they are meant to do.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Guys. I want to change out the interior of my car to all black rather than the current linen, which on the most part isn't in bad nick. I have a couple of options 1 Keep all stock 2 RS look, with leather door cards, carpets and aftermarket seats, probably Recaro pp's Option 1 is far more expensive, though the price can be mitigated somewhat using quality trim kits from Southbound or Lakewell and/or having the low wear areas professionally dyed (which i'm reluctant to do but the trimmer I spoke to assures me he has a true craftsman in Timaru who does a fantastic job re-colouring leather) Whatever the option, I will have it professionally installed and all original unused parts kept with the car. I'd love to hear your thoughts on original vs a more sporting look, particularly with regards to re-sale?
Warwick. I have two types of interiors you are welcome to look at for ideas. 1. A modified C4 with Marine Blue interior and 2. An original Turbo 3.6. with all black leather. OEM sports seats fit beautifully and are darned comfortable.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:11 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Warwick. I have two types of interiors you are welcome to look at for ideas. 1. A modified C4 with Marine Blue interior and 2. An original Turbo 3.6. with all black leather. OEM sports seats fit beautifully and are darned comfortable.

Cheers John, I might take you up on that. I didn't know Herman had a Marine Blue interior when I looked I thought it was black? He has non-OEM seats as well, no?

I'd love a pair of sports seats. I think i'd almost prefer them the PP's

How do you think the NZ buying market would feels about a pseudo RS interior? I don't want to get hung up on re-sale as i'm not going to sell the car and I know that I should do what makes me happy for my time as custodian.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the Steve Wong chip last night. Splitting the circuit boards was a little fiddly. Never too sure how much pressure to put into it, particularly with electronics. All good in the end.

Installed my cat bypass tonight. Love woking on the car when access is easy The Cat didn't have provision for the sensor and one wasn't attached. Is that typical of ROW 964's?

My trolly jack is too low to raise the car enough to fit my sparkly new Esco stands. I made do. What trolley jack's do you use?
Hi Warwick, interested to hear if the difference with the SW chip is noticeable? Or is this mainly to counter a Light flywheel stall?

Those stands John has posted are the ones we've all used and by cranking up the rear under the engine with the help of some blocks of 6x2 you will gain the extra height needed, just be very careful to check their position is centred from the side as you lift up. I still haven't tried the new Escos yet but noticed how high they can go.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The great thing about the lightweight trolley jacks the boys are using are
1) compact and light for transporting around to and from track etc
2) good for low cars - the Fraser needed one of these over NITT weekend as the larger/heavier one we brought along couldn't easily fit under the lower front end

The disadvantages are
can't jack up as high if you are using jack stands on higher settings. If you look at Dougies picture in his post #17772 you see 3 pieces of wood on the jack point needed to get the jack high enough. The jacking point is causing some of this but the point still stand. The issue is - if you are working under the car you will want the car higher to make it easier. On Targa when servicing sometimes under a bit of time pressure using a bigger jack we sometimes still need 1 piece of wood similar to Dougies pic - so in these circumstances a larger jack is definitely better.

So there you go maybe I need both Jacks haha or rely on my Targa mechanic/crew to bring his jack
Old 09-22-2014, 06:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Marine Blue is quite dark unless in full sunlight, then you can see the Blue clearly. I have a couple of cobra seats in the car, plus a harness bar. The driver seat is on a special lowered base so I can drive comfortably with a helmet. It works very well.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Re market. It's hard to tell in NZ, but generally mods people want will make it easier to sell, not more valuable.

As for keeping parts. Yes, yes, yes. I am currently getting the VTI-R back to original. What a pain when small parts are missing. By all means customize but give the new owner a chance to put it back to original. It will be worth more that way.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Hi Warwick, interested to hear if the difference with the SW chip is noticeable? Or is this mainly to counter a Light flywheel stall?

Those stands John has posted are the ones we've all used and by cranking up the rear under the engine with the help of some blocks of 6x2 you will gain the extra height needed, just be very careful to check their position is centred from the side as you lift up. I still haven't tried the new Escos yet but noticed how high they can go.
There is a difference with the SW chip. What people say about the car being more derivable its true. The car seems to rev more freely as if the inertia is a lot less. I disconnected the battery to perform the install and so still need to have my idle adapted again as to get a better idea. I'll let you know

I didn't have any wood handy at the time as they were being used as a wheels chock I made do with some lower stands and a couple of ice hockey pucks. I didn't really need much height for this job as most access was through the wheel arch
Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Re market. It's hard to tell in NZ, but generally mods people want will make it easier to sell, not more valuable.
That was my thinking too. Its not a concours car and probably never will be in my care

As for keeping parts. Yes, yes, yes. I am currently getting the VTI-R back to original. What a pain when small parts are missing. By all means customize but give the new owner a chance to put it back to original. It will be worth more that way.
Yes, I keep all the take off parts. Even that dirty old Cat and its heat protection panels form last night...I think I might need to rent some storage...
Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sam just highlighted to me that there are some BB opportunities coming up http://www.hdticketing.co.nz/

I'm full on with various things right now, so won't be organising days in the near term, but wanted to remind all owners that you have equal say and am only too happy to see you take her out as you see fit.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:50 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Naked 944... Not looking very racy at the moment - new clothes next week.

Shows how they used to look before being messed about with!
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2014, 01:52 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
The great thing about the lightweight trolley jacks the boys are using are 1) compact and light for transporting around to and from track etc 2) good for low cars - the Fraser needed one of these over NITT weekend as the larger/heavier one we brought along couldn't easily fit under the lower front end The disadvantages are can't jack up as high if you are using jack stands on higher settings. If you look at Dougies picture in his post #17772 you see 3 pieces of wood on the jack point needed to get the jack high enough. The jacking point is causing some of this but the point still stand. The issue is - if you are working under the car you will want the car higher to make it easier. On Targa when servicing sometimes under a bit of time pressure using a bigger jack we sometimes still need 1 piece of wood similar to Dougies pic - so in these circumstances a larger jack is definitely better. So there you go maybe I need both Jacks haha or rely on my Targa mechanic/crew to bring his jack
2nd all that. Those 3 blocks on my jack weren't to jack it up but just lightly holding the car as a safety backup to the jack stands while I work under it. That spot is not a solid jackpoint on the 911 but if I yanked hard spannering and she dropped off one of the stands it should save me :-)

However I often use a block of 6x2 between the race jack and the car to get enough height for my jack stands which fortunately can also go quite low.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?