Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Leong, and congrats on the GT4. I am so tempted but would not swop my gt3 yet. The blue will be beautiful and it is exciting to spec the car the way you want. I look forward to many trackdays with you in the future.
As regards the tyre choice . I have good experience with Trofeo R s . They are excellent and definitely worth a couple of seconds over super sports around HD. Watch out in the damp however.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:47 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
I have just posted a feeler out for SITT 2016. I think this is going to be well subscribed. If you are interested but not yet an RSG member please email Peter or Paul on this board and we will get you all signed up.
Where did you make the post? What does RSG stand for? Newbie here! I did PM 911kiwi the other night but have not had a responce yet... Keen to find out more about SITT.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
Where did you make the post? What does RSG stand for? Newbie here! I did PM 911kiwi the other night but have not had a responce yet... Keen to find out more about SITT.
Chris, RSG is Rennsport Gruppe, or racing group in German. It's a misnomer as the group aim isn't to race, it's to enjoy our cars, mostly Porsches, with people of the same mindset.

The group does a number of things related to cars, Sunday morning drives, track days where we generally hire a garage at HD and either have a dedicated Playday slot or the latest iteration called 'arrive and drive' where we book the track out for 4 hours and circulate as we want. We also have an annual 3 day track tour to Taupo and Manfield. On top of that we enter things as a group e.g. The South Island Track Tour run by Playday. Four tracks run as a group, plus a lot of touring.

The strength of the group is diversity and common interest. As a group we can do things the Porsche club is reluctant to, but have the power of numbers to make it happen.

Entry to the group is $100, which goes into the kitty to fund things we don't account for on an item basis e.g. Food and drinks at track days, plus the bbq.

The only other entry requirement is a driving attitude check. What makes us strong as a group is mutual respect. In two years I can't think of a single incident on the track between our cars. We give room and use common sense. If someone gets a bit loose (we had one member early on who kept on spinning) it's mentioned and nothing more is said if the behaviour stops. There is no politics because we don't organise ourselves that formally. Generally someone will think of an idea and find a few others who want to join in and it happens.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris, I forgot to add that we are not elitist. 924s and 991 GT3s will happily share the same track day and garage. The caged cars often take passengers to show the lines and we have mechanics at the track days to help with any minor problems.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:05 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did respond, it will be in your visitors messages - but call me on 021 752 245.

JMc summed up RSG perfectly.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Chris, I forgot to add that we are not elitist. ragged old Integras and 991 GT3s will happily share the same track day and garage. The caged cars often take passengers to show the lines and we have duct tape at the track days to help with any minor problems.
Fixed that sentence for you John.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
How could I forget Black Beauty? Chris, if you come to our track days you will see a 1994 Honda Integra co-owned by 15 of us. We run a top gear leader board with it. While not fast on the straights it holds it's own in the corners and in reliability. To date it has done more than 75 15 minute track sessions. Can't seem to kill it.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 02-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Leong72. Heigo will make a GT4 cage is indeed the standard 981 one will not fit. Infact I bet they have it out before the NZ cars are delivered. A few of us have the Heigo product in our 911s and are very happy.

If you are intending to do alot of track work in the GT4 consider a few things. Firstly pads. I commissioned some sets of Endless MX72 for the 991 GT3 which are now available at Prosport. I run them on the 993 which has brake upgrade and they are awesome. Not cheap but as others will tell you hear a very good track/street pad and they dont make any noise. I have a set yet to be fitted to my 991 GT3 so cant comment directly on that application but the GT4 uses the same calipers & pads.

To get extra camber from the front of the GT3 (and we assume GT4 due to geometry) you will need shims from Porsche Motorsports. The magic part numbers below. 10mm = 1 degree camber.. Its the best way of increasing negative camber at the front without affecting castor. Again i have the shims for the 991 GT3 but have yet to fit them. Unfortunately the GT3/4 will max out -2.0 F due to the design and non rotatable top mounts.

Lastly is fluid. Again I have SRF on standby but still using the factory fill after alot of abuse it holds up brilliantly and never had a soft pedal on the track in the GT3 but will change shortly in any case as a precaution.

Moochier/Leong. If you would like to join our RSG group and get your name on the South Island Track Tour for 2016 then please contact Paul (Kiwi 911) or PeterC2S below by PM as you can to get membership and access to our closed user group web platform sorted out. We already have 8 entrants (12 slots) and the post has only been up 12 hours! RSG is the group you definitely need to be part - there are 47 current members with around 25 very active regular participants and we have grown to become a mature group with alot of folk very impressed at the success of the "organisation".

P.S. Leong I think the GT4 will look good in SB. But to me its a real shame PAG did not give us a Mexico Blue, a Charteuse green or a Speed Yellow for this car! I am very very close to considering PTS for this car (lava Orange).
Old 02-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Chris, RSG is Rennsport Gruppe, or racing group in German. It's a misnomer as the group aim isn't to race, it's to enjoy our cars, mostly Porsches, with people of the same mindset.

The group does a number of things related to cars, Sunday morning drives, track days where we generally hire a garage at HD and either have a dedicated Playday slot or the latest iteration called 'arrive and drive' where we book the track out for 4 hours and circulate as we want. We also have an annual 3 day track tour to Taupo and Manfield. On top of that we enter things as a group e.g. The South Island Track Tour run by Playday. Four tracks run as a group, plus a lot of touring.

The strength of the group is diversity and common interest. As a group we can do things the Porsche club is reluctant to, but have the power of numbers to make it happen.

Entry to the group is $100, which goes into the kitty to fund things we don't account for on an item basis e.g. Food and drinks at track days, plus the bbq.

The only other entry requirement is a driving attitude check. What makes us strong as a group is mutual respect. In two years I can't think of a single incident on the track between our cars. We give room and use common sense. If someone gets a bit loose (we had one member early on who kept on spinning) it's mentioned and nothing more is said if the behaviour stops. There is no politics because we don't organise ourselves that formally. Generally someone will think of an idea and find a few others who want to join in and it happens.
That sounds perfect to me, just what I was looking for by buying a Porsche.

Chris, I forgot to add that we are not elitist. 924s and 991 GT3s will happily share the same track day and garage. The caged cars often take passengers to show the lines and we have mechanics at the track days to help with any minor problems.
Even better.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I did respond, it will be in your visitors messages - but call me on 021 752 245.

JMc summed up RSG perfectly.
Sorry yes I did see your reply just after I made that post, I'll contact you today.

Lol

How could I forget Black Beauty? Chris, if you come to our track days you will see a 1994 Honda Integra co-owned by 15 of us. We run a top gear leader board with it. While not fast on the straights it holds it's own in the corners and in reliability. To date it has done more than 75 15 minute track sessions. Can't seem to kill it.
Good ol Japanese reliability!

This is all sounding great, can't wait to get the car and drive it!
Old 02-24-2015, 02:48 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this video out on acceleration times 0-200 - RS4.0 vs 991 GT3.

To be honest - I expected the 991 to win, but the RS4.0 smokes it. It puts some perspective into why these are so desirable (and I thought it was just because of the stickers.....)

Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Moochier. Good work on the R. I know the previous owner Brett McCarthy and was aware through Pete & John it was on the block. I ran Targa Tour 2012 in the 993 when Brett took the Cayman R (it was new at that time). Its had a lot of fruit installed since. It will be a great car for the track and will keep John honest! My advice if you are getting Pierreli into the deal is Trofeo R (assumes the right size available 19"). If you are using a 18" the Z221 is probably the best of the bunch. Once you got to 19 you will be more limited but should not write off the Nitto NT01 which the guys in the states like on the Spyder/R. Toyo 888 is OK but a bit old. Dunlop have some new compound in the DSO3G IIRC but pricey. Sorry all from memory as Im by the pool LOL!
Hey just needing some quick advice from anyone regarding these track tyres... OEM wheel/tyres are 235 35 R19 front and 265 35 R19 rear.

If my track wheels are 18" I was hoping that the overall wheel diameter would be smaller to shorten up the gear ratios.

However in the Pirelli Tropheo r tyres the only (smallest) 18" tyres are 235 40 R18 and 265 40 R18 which actually is almost identical to the OEM overall tyre diameter.

I gather this taller 40 profile is normal? I just would have thought a more track oriented tyre would have the same or lower profile? I.e. 35 or even 30

I'm wondering if the taller 40 profile tyre will be more 'squidgy' or am I worring about nothing?

After doing some searchs on rennlist, there is not a clear answer on tyre size for track, with some people running even wider tyres which must be even bigger overall diameter to OEM, making the gearing worse for track IMO.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Old 02-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Check this video out on acceleration times 0-200 - RS4.0 vs 991 GT3.

To be honest - I expected the 991 to win, but the RS4.0 smokes it. It puts some perspective into why these are so desirable (and I thought it was just because of the stickers.....)

997 GT3 vs 991 GT3 (0-200km/h) - YouTube

Buba. Its on youtube so it must be true? They are desirable because they are manual, last Mezger bored out to 4.0 litres and manual....not because they are slower than 991 GT3 for 1/3 price ;-P

Attached Images          
Old 02-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hey just needing some quick advice from anyone regarding these track tyres... OEM wheel/tyres are 235 35 R19 front and 265 35 R19 rear.

If my track wheels are 18" I was hoping that the overall wheel diameter would be smaller to shorten up the gear ratios.

However in the Pirelli Tropheo r tyres the only (smallest) 18" tyres are 235 40 R18 and 265 40 R18 which actually is almost identical to the OEM overall tyre diameter.

I gather this taller 40 profile is normal? I just would have thought a more track oriented tyre would have the same or lower profile? I.e. 35 or even 30

I'm wondering if the taller 40 profile tyre will be more 'squidgy' or am I worring about nothing?

After doing some searchs on rennlist, there is not a clear answer on tyre size for track, with some people running even wider tyres which must be even bigger overall diameter to OEM, making the gearing worse for track IMO.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Matt can chime in here and correct me. Yes tyre side wall will likely affect "feel" and sharpness of turn in of the tyre. Rolling circumference is the biggest prerequisite to gearing. Tyre/wheel weight will affect unsprung mass and thus handling and feedback (if you are sensitive enough to notice it).

If the car is primarily for track work then get the 19" Trofeos in factory sizes fitted. They should fine on the road other than standing water and temperatures below 7c.

If you are looking to work with the 18s just download a rolling radius tyre size calculator and try and identify a fitment as identical to the factor rolling radius as possible.

If you are using teh car alot on track Id suggest the 18" as you will save alot on rubber. Trofeo R/ MPSC2 are a very expensive habbit running around 3200 NZD a set in 19" fitment for 6 or so track days before cycled out vs NT01 etc for maybe 2400. It all adds up...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?