Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:26 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
How could I forget Black Beauty? Chris, if you come to our track days you will see a 1994 Honda Integra co-owned by 15 of us. We run a top gear leader board with it. While not fast on the straights it holds it's own in the corners and in reliability. To date it has done more than 75 15 minute track sessions. Can't seem to kill it.
Yep... good recommendation that car
Old 02-25-2015, 12:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Has anyone else heard the rumour that Tony Quinn might be purchasing Taupo race track?
I heard it could be going unconditional this Friday?
Goes to shareholder vote tomorrow. Not looking good for Quinn. If Quinn takes it unlikely we will be running any motorsports or Playdays days there for a long while. Good if you are a wealthy petrol head I guess. Amount of debt is small but requirements for turn around larger. Probably something you will read about on the weekend...Im living in Mexico so youll probably learn more before me.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Buba. Your mail box is full!
Try again.......
Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Yep... good recommendation that car
Above and beyond with that recommendation

I wish the other Hondas were as reliable. I'm not sure what's gojng to kill it. Maybe the 8 hour endurance will test it to the end. I wouldn't bet against it being around for a while yet.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:01 AM
Moochier
Instructor

While Tire rack is possibly a bit over the top, my impression so far is that the MPSS degrade noticeably over a 15 minute session so longer sessions could trash the tread quickly.

Whatever the case, I'll get pads and track tyres before going out again.
I've got Michelin pilot super sports on my RS4 and tracked that a fair few times with no 'degrading' of the tyre. Sure they wear, but I wouldn't call it degrading. They are not a R spec tyre but are pretty track orientated for a street tyre.

I've really enjoyed them on the RS4, ID definitely buy another set for a performance street/track tyre.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Moochier
Instructor

[QUOTE=Macca;12067175]
While Tire rack is possibly a bit over the top, my impression so far is that the MPSS degrade noticeably over a 15 minute session so longer sessions could trash the tread quickly.

Whatever the case, I'll get pads and track tyres before going out again./QUOTE]

Talk to Neil John. They are very pressure/temperature sensitive and the carcass will heat up quicker than an R comp. They are a road tyre. Ive just had them fitted for the Targa. They were my SITT road tyre. Richard had them fitted for the SI Targa as a road tyre and Neil uses them as a wet/damp track day tyre.

I never thought you were contemplated using them on the track. Ive never recommended them for the track.

Do yourself a favour. before you jump in boots and all read up on MPSC2. They make it in your size? and its 1700 USD a set. You could use these for everything you need. They are on the new GT cars and have radial grooves. It would be way easier to not have to change tyres or wheels etc for track days. You could do entire NI/SI TT on these without lifting a nut wrench.
Yeah from what I've seen the MPSC2 would be best if your tracking regularly but still want a street worthy tire. They look the part and if they are a step up from the MPSS then that would make them awesome tyres.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:15 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Welcome Leong, and congrats on the GT4. I am so tempted but would not swop my gt3 yet. The blue will be beautiful and it is exciting to spec the car the way you want. I look forward to many trackdays with you in the future.
As regards the tyre choice . I have good experience with Trofeo R s . They are excellent and definitely worth a couple of seconds over super sports around HD. Watch out in the damp however.
Thanks Neil. Yup really looking forward to tracking the GT4. Hopefully I won't be slower in it than the M5!

I had MPSS's on the M5 and swapped them for MPSC2's which I used for the first time last weekend. Massive difference. Best was consistent performance for the whole session, where the MPSS's would go off after about 3 laps especially on a hot day, far more confident under braking as they didn't lock as easily, more traction out of turn 4 which helped a little when trying to catch a certain red GT3, and far more grip around the sweeper. They don't seem a bad road tyre either, with minimal difference in ride and noise over MPSS, and they were reasonable in the wet during our first session. Only problem is that they get hot and gravel and the rubber from those drift cars stick to them.

Originally Posted by Macca
Leong72. Heigo will make a GT4 cage is indeed the standard 981 one will not fit. Infact I bet they have it out before the NZ cars are delivered. A few of us have the Heigo product in our 911s and are very happy.

If you are intending to do alot of track work in the GT4 consider a few things. Firstly pads. I commissioned some sets of Endless MX72 for the 991 GT3 which are now available at Prosport. I run them on the 993 which has brake upgrade and they are awesome. Not cheap but as others will tell you hear a very good track/street pad and they dont make any noise. I have a set yet to be fitted to my 991 GT3 so cant comment directly on that application but the GT4 uses the same calipers & pads.

To get extra camber from the front of the GT3 (and we assume GT4 due to geometry) you will need shims from Porsche Motorsports. The magic part numbers below. 10mm = 1 degree camber.. Its the best way of increasing negative camber at the front without affecting castor. Again i have the shims for the 991 GT3 but have yet to fit them. Unfortunately the GT3/4 will max out -2.0 F due to the design and non rotatable top mounts.

Lastly is fluid. Again I have SRF on standby but still using the factory fill after alot of abuse it holds up brilliantly and never had a soft pedal on the track in the GT3 but will change shortly in any case as a precaution.

Moochier/Leong. If you would like to join our RSG group and get your name on the South Island Track Tour for 2016 then please contact Paul (Kiwi 911) or PeterC2S below by PM as you can to get membership and access to our closed user group web platform sorted out. We already have 8 entrants (12 slots) and the post has only been up 12 hours! RSG is the group you definitely need to be part - there are 47 current members with around 25 very active regular participants and we have grown to become a mature group with alot of folk very impressed at the success of the "organisation".

P.S. Leong I think the GT4 will look good in SB. But to me its a real shame PAG did not give us a Mexico Blue, a Charteuse green or a Speed Yellow for this car! I am very very close to considering PTS for this car (lava Orange).
Thanks for the advice. I've gone thru three sets of pads on the M5 and 2 sets of rotors so keen to get the best performance/cost, especially ongoing costs. I'll have to bookmark this page (or copy it) cos this thread is so active it'll be difficulty to find this post later Yes, I'm keen on SITT next year, but comfortable in Prestige group if the Rennsport group is full. There were quite a few Porsches in our group last year.

Gave them my final spec today to completely secure my #1 slot at Giltraps, though it's July production so I can still change it till May! Finally figured out what PTS is
Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Reserve already met - at $18k this should be fun!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-851953666.htm

Nice first bid Luke944
Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Reserve already met - at $18k this should be fun!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-851953666.htm

Nice first bid Luke944
Haha nearly, nearly first bid! $1 reserve...
Old 02-25-2015, 04:15 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Reserve already met - at $18k this should be fun! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-851953666.htm Nice first bid Luke944
$1 reserve auctions aren't a good idea for sellers IMO! Great for buyers however.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:23 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
$1 reserve auctions aren't a good idea for sellers IMO! Great for buyers however.
Always makes me wonder if there is friend of the dealer waiting in the wings to give it a push if needed.

This would be a seriously good buy anywhere south of $40k.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Always makes me wonder if there is friend of the dealer waiting in the wings to give it a push if needed. This would be a seriously good buy anywhere south of $40k.
You can guarantee it. Jake is the only one I have seen pull off a bargain. The dealer has no intention of losing money. It's a marketing ploy.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same seller is it Jake?
Old 02-25-2015, 05:02 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can guarantee it. Jake is the only one I have seen pull off a bargain. The dealer has no intention of losing money. It's a marketing ploy.
Just noticed this is the guy who Tony bought his Cayman off. Nice guy and was very flexible about us hanging onto the vehicle even before payment had been made.

And to be fair he's shown more of the scratches and paint flaws than most would. Still a marketing ploy though!

And agree - Jake's still rates as bargain of the last few years.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you wishing to inquire about the Rennsport Gruppe please use the email address below.

committee@rennsportgruppe.org.nz

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?