Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry D
Mark , that car would require a good PPI for a collector , as it's been well used for it's intended purpose .
Garry. I cant comment but I can say that it was one of the best overall condition ones I have seen in the last few years. Its only done 32k KM. Ill have 20K km on mine by the end of the year so I cant say its been used alot even if its been to the track...
Old 02-11-2015, 03:52 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
No model could replicate this
John
must have had a silent exhaust..note those pedestrians don't even turn for a look..or is it just a common sight in that area?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:55 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by mrphil
i will hold off speaking to my dealer for now, let them have time to cool off hehe

thanks will do a search and see if i can find the guy

that LFA was in lexus chch a few weeks ago, the dealer didnt have a problem with me sitting in the drivers seat and popping the bonnect

anyone that missed out on the white LFA in chch, lexus has a silver one in their show room at the moment (customers car)

oh i'm interested in the 1:18 scale one
don't do it Phil..I bought his 996 TT model and it looked like he had been playing with it in the bath...
still in the box..!
Love yr new car..
Old 02-11-2015, 03:58 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...7&e=ce42bf947e

Not sure if you guys have seen this.

Maybe Carbon Ceramics are affordable to track??
Old 02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
John must have had a silent exhaust..note those pedestrians don't even turn for a look..or is it just a common sight in that area?
Dave will tell you the same thing, rarer cars are common in the Eastern Bays and they seem to use our street as a throttle test area so the locals aren't fazed anymore. I must do the same run in the R.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mrphil
It's nice of Lexus letting us get up close and personal. The fittment is pretty good, a shame about the finish. Would a light sand fix it? How much did it cost landed for the lip? that's pretty
It was NZ$740 landed for two through a freight forwarder, but that was consolidating shipping with 4 others. We may have got a little over zealous with the package as shipping blew out a bit, but still much cheaper than sourcing locally.

I think a wet sand with 1000+ paper will sort the finish. Tonights mission As I said, the finish on the 996 lips is much closer to OEM; matte but uniform. I suspect the GT3 lips are the same. The 997 Turbo examples seem to be from a separate source and made of a different material.

To put GT3RS prices in perspective http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-for-sale/911/2
Inventory at JZM seems a little larger than it was 6-9 months ago, with quite a few cars sitting for extended periods. I want for a 997 Turbo S...
Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave will tell you the same thing, rarer cars are common in the Eastern Bays and they seem to use our street as a throttle test area so the locals aren't fazed anymore. I must do the same run in the R.
John, have been meaning to test a few GoPro mounting positions on the front of my car to get some chase cam shots of the next run. Let me know when you're keen to test
Old 02-11-2015, 04:06 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Testing the new Rennlist iPhone app. Trying multiple pics now...
Got an email telling me I would get a link from Apple, but am yet to receive it. Looks to have been successful!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
John, have been meaning to test a few GoPro mounting positions on the front of my car to get some chase cam shots of the next run. Let me know when you're keen to test
Back on the 20th. Playday on the 22nd so maybe morning of the 21st?
Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

To put GT3RS prices in perspective http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-for-sale/911/2 Inventory at JZM seems a little larger than it was 6-9 months ago, with quite a few cars sitting for extended periods. I want for a 997 Turbo S...
That's quite incredible. You are about to see a bubble burst I front of your very eyes. I have never seen so many GT3 and 993RS and 964T for sale at one time since 10 years ago when the older ones were hardly sought after and 5 years ago when the newer ones were just on their second owners.

The pricing too is truly impressive showing 10% appreciation per month for the last three months if they get anywhere near their asking prices.

What this says to me is the bubble had finally flushed all the enthusiasts out. No one can hang in when a 4 year old used 7.2 GT3RS is worth
More than the 991 Gt3 RS is about to be launched for!

What's really wrong with the picture? A 1 year old 991 GT3 is selling for more than the Un launched 991 GT3RS is about to launch for too!

I can just about fathom something no longer made although not particularly scarce going up in value but it's stupid days when stuff still sold new is doing this.

Last time I heard if that with Porsche as in the late 80s with 959.....It's happening again...!!!!!!

The market is now clue ties. Even the most radiant enthusiasts seem to have pack up ordered a GT4 have their house face lifted new kitchen and put their old Porsche turbo ES or GT3 on the market!!!

Mark my words trouble to come. Don't know when or how but in my experience any market showing these signs always implodes. No exception...
Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca

What this says to me is the bubble had finally flushed all the enthusiasts out. No one can hang in when a 4 year old used 7.2 GT3RS is worth
More than the 991 Gt3 RS is about to be launched for!
How much do you think the NZ list for the 991 GT3 RS will be? Versus what a 997.2 would sell for?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
How much do you think the NZ list for the 991 GT3 RS will be? Versus what a 997.2 would sell for?
991 GT3RS base in NZ will be around 335K NZD + options + ORC (2k).

NZ used 997.2 GT3RS last few I know of sold via CCS (last 9 months) including blue/red one and Jasons Grey/red were between 225-235K NZD. Non RS GT3 seem to be fewer between and last few Ive seen 180Kish.

UK 991 GT3RS will launch at 145K GBP base but will be trading up around 190K incl options immediately. Numbers likely to be very limited this time.

UK 991 GT3 sold new 100K GBP base now selling 135-150K GBP used including options (asking 135K-168K GBP).

Last edited by Macca; 02-11-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 PM
mrphil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PHG
don't do it Phil..I bought his 996 TT model and it looked like he had been playing with it in the bath...
still in the box..!
Love yr new car..
so it was hand washed
It was NZ$740 landed for two through a freight forwarder, but that was consolidating shipping with 4 others. We may have got a little over zealous with the package as shipping blew out a bit, but still much cheaper than sourcing locally.

I think a wet sand with 1000+ paper will sort the finish. Tonights mission As I said, the finish on the 996 lips is much closer to OEM; matte but uniform. I suspect the GT3 lips are the same. The 997 Turbo examples seem to be from a separate source and made of a different material.
Hope it goes well, make sure to post some picture
Old 02-11-2015, 11:02 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LFA, Lexus marketing and Plastidip

Originally Posted by Luke944
The noise is pretty amazing - right up there like a CGT.
Interesting to hear back on the LFA and glad it rocks on the sound front. Hearing the CGT start up and leave Conti's once was just awesome so it must be good if it compares. Hoped to catch the LFA on its travels but TBH it doesn't quite fry my burger - mostly since its performance doesn't live up to its looks, never mind its mad price. Even on the looks front, I reckon the LFA has a certain bulkiness about it, more reminiscent of a Nissan GTR than of a Carrera GT.

Still an interesting car and I wouldn't say no to a fang in one but to my mind an AE86 or even an old Toyota Century has more intrinsic appeal as an enduring representative of their stable.

Lexus invited me to apply for those track demo days they are running but subsequently wouldn't reply to a simple follow up email or return either of my follow up calls. The application form did ask me to list my cars though - maybe they just didn't want to risk a Porsche Turbo parking up next to a row of Lexi at Hampton Downs?

Seriously though, the LFA's tested performance doesn't get close to reconciling with the price (it should test much faster around the 'Ring, various tracks and over the quarter than it does). And if my NZ Lexus of Auckland experience is anything to go by, they may also want to retake Marketing 101.

OK, bitch mode -> off.

On the Plastidipping wheels front from a page or two ago, I've had two cans just sitting at home waiting to tidy up either my spare road wheels or else my track wheels. Was holding off using them as wasn't sure how the dip would go with caliper heat at track as the turbo twist hollows sit very close. Googling shows that Plastidip is reportedly rated to 200F/93 Celsius but can handle up to at least 400F/200C before melting or burning. My calipers sometimes get hotter than that and the rotors can reach 600F/300C but presumably the insulation of the small air gap, along with the big heatsink that is the wheel itself should keep the Plastidip in place.

I know John's plastidipped D90s ran fine but that was on a lighter car. Opinion here for instance is mixed: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34634 and some elsewhere who plastidipped mufflers and the like have been rewarded with car fires. Has anyone here run plastidipped wheels on a heavy track car? Any problems?

Also thinking of clear plastidipping the front of my car for the upcoming Targa Tour, even though that bird has pretty much already flown.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:31 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I don't think you'd call my 964 track exploits heavy but plastidip seemed to be ok on wheels except for going a bit soft and sucking in brake dust which could not be cleaned off. I think on a wheel it would be a long way from a fire

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?