Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:06 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

haha Macca famous all around the world now....
re touring in Dec in Europe. You have hit the lucky button as this year has been very warm and mild compared to other years. My daughter lives in Berlin and says this year is really warm - no snow and much warmer than last year so perfect for what you have done. It may not be as good any other year...and could just run into snow and ice. But then Macca you are just a lucky fella right?
Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graeme. You are right, we were expecting worse but blessed with a great run (so far). Coming to the end now, 5 days left in Europe, Avignon then Geneva and Zurich. Home via NY in HK, 5 days in NZ then back to the sweltering heat and picking up the bits of chaos from 6 weeks away! Sometimes lucky is what you make it. I never really aid much thought to the weather though. The GT3 is just metal and plastic. Another "thing" to own. Since I was a kid I dreamed of one day ordering a Porsche, picking it up from the factory and driving it across Europe. This is the realization of my dream. Im 43, old enough to have realized that a bit of sentiment and history in the few quality things I own is more important than having many nice things that mean little to me. Ive been lucky to have had both experiences but these days I like it simple, and without the trip the car would have just been a car. Shes been our trusty stead so far on this adventure and that bond has made the car a little more meaningful to us. Im not sure she will be in our tenure as long as the 993 (13 years and still loving every moment behind the wheel) but at least its a good start. The last few years Ive had a few close buddies pass away before their time. I still have my health and figure Ill get some of these bucket list items ticked now, while I can and incase life takes a different turn in the future. Its really all about the people the places and the adventure and hopefully giving a little back along the way. In the end you cant take it with you and although our means are modest compared to many other new GT3 owners, I really intend to make every moment I do get to drive this car count, both on this trip and on our frequent returns to NZ where the car will reside. Probably a bit too philosophical for a car thread ....
Old 12-26-2013, 05:34 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The GT3 is just metal and plastic. Another "thing" to own. Since I was a kid I dreamed of one day ordering a Porsche, picking it up from the factory and driving it across Europe. This is the realization of my dream. Im 43, old enough to have realized that a bit of sentiment and history in the few quality things I own is more important than having many nice things that mean little to me.
+1
Old 12-26-2013, 05:51 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Graeme. You are right, we were expecting worse but blessed with a great run (so far). Coming to the end now, 5 days left in Europe, Avignon then Geneva and Zurich. Home via NY in HK, 5 days in NZ then back to the sweltering heat and picking up the bits of chaos from 6 weeks away! Sometimes lucky is what you make it. I never really aid much thought to the weather though. The GT3 is just metal and plastic. Another "thing" to own. Since I was a kid I dreamed of one day ordering a Porsche, picking it up from the factory and driving it across Europe. This is the realization of my dream. Im 43, old enough to have realized that a bit of sentiment and history in the few quality things I own is more important than having many nice things that mean little to me. Ive been lucky to have had both experiences but these days I like it simple, and without the trip the car would have just been a car. Shes been our trusty stead so far on this adventure and that bond has made the car a little more meaningful to us. Im not sure she will be in our tenure as long as the 993 (13 years and still loving every moment behind the wheel) but at least its a good start. The last few years Ive had a few close buddies pass away before their time. I still have my health and figure Ill get some of these bucket list items ticked now, while I can and incase life takes a different turn in the future. Its really all about the people the places and the adventure and hopefully giving a little back along the way. In the end you cant take it with you and although our means are modest compared to many other new GT3 owners, I really intend to make every moment I do get to drive this car count, both on this trip and on our frequent returns to NZ where the car will reside. Probably a bit too philosophical for a car thread ....
Don't disagree with anything you are saying Macca.........

You're my hero mate..........
Old 12-26-2013, 07:07 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two mates passing in 2011 got me to bring my p-car plans ahead to now. +1 from me Macca. Live our dreams while we can. Cant wait for SITT. Being in Wanaka with a landcruiser as a steed is such a tease.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:08 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Lovely 912 spotted in Wanaka
Attached Images    
Old 12-26-2013, 07:39 PM
mikee6421
Track Day

Originally Posted by John McM
All going well, RS door cards are sorted Already took out the seat backs. Also sent a section of
Carpet to lemans in Welly so they can supply a new piece to replace the driver sill area. Will do a full retrim at a later date. I've been trawling through the backdate thread again. Need to be careful I get the look I want. Would be best if I can use my Fuchs and ducktail. There's $7,000 saved. What I really want right now is a new windscreen. No, it won't be covered by insurance as I self insure right now.
John, you may know all this already, plus I do not know if it applies to a 964, but Porsche sells a kit to fix the windshield - which also applies to the rear screen. It is like a light grey rubber rope that you can squeeze inside the existing windshield seals. Windshield rope part number 996 541 903 00. The rope helps fix squeaky windshields and is actually for 996s. We had it applied to the 993 Carrera when we got a new windscreen. Made quite a difference. In addition, we had to push the ins co quite hard to get a genuine OEM screen but you won't have that problem, instead just the problem of trying to dry your eyes when you see the price!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikee6421
John, you may know all this already, plus I do not know if it applies to a 964, but Porsche sells a kit to fix the windshield - which also applies to the rear screen. It is like a light grey rubber rope that you can squeeze inside the existing windshield seals. Windshield rope part number 996 541 903 00. The rope helps fix squeaky windshields and is actually for 996s. We had it applied to the 993 Carrera when we got a new windscreen. Made quite a difference. In addition, we had to push the ins co quite hard to get a genuine OEM screen but you won't have that problem, instead just the problem of trying to dry your eyes when you see the price!
This reminds me ... You'll find threads talking about poor fit from non-OEM gaskets. I replaced mine because of an edge crack, thankfully no squeaking. I sourced an OEM seal via Pelican and took my old screen out with the help of a friend. Just cut seal from outside and then puuuush slowly from inside.

The reason I did this was because I wanted to address the corrosion that's virtually always there and an installer wouldn't spend the time to remedy. I ground off the rust, used some Por-15 to coat it and trailered it to the shop.

Before removing windshield take out the dash! Good time to replace the foam seal in the center blower vents. (Mine whistled) It's a tricky little guy to get out using a friend and two flat screwdrivers.

I took the old windshield to the shop and ensured the measurements matched between old and new (again, some threads about this issue). They glued in the new windshield and used my seal. Guessing you will have Conti's doing the work, but make sure they route the antenna wire correctly. The factory instructions for the whole procedure are linked on one of the threads here as well. If you can't find it, send me a PM.

They said it was one of the tightness windshields they've ever fitted - which makes me a little concerned but I have been choosing to ignore what problems that might cause me because I've had no squeaks or water issues.

Another issue is the non-OEM seals pulling away on the corners allowing more moisture into the channel. Thankfully 20 years of paint fading made a clear line to which the installer was told to match the new seal at minimum. However, a week later even my OEM seal began to pull back a bit which I remedied by using a little bit of black RTV and masking tape for a few days. We'll see how it looks when I see the car next week. Still sitting at the dock today.

Keep the dash off and take it to the car wash, then drive it at speed. Best way to make sure it was sealed right to keep water, wind & combination of out! Important as I know we both want this screen to last another 20.

It sure makes an old girl look better with a shiny non-pitted windscreen!! Very happy I did it.

Hopefully the images aren't too large.

C
Attached Images      
Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll keep those references for when I replace it. Maybe after SITT. Right now I have a new harness bar (perfect fit) and a seat being fitted.
Attached Images   
Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Seat has had the rear cross member dropped. I feel like one of those kids that can barely see over the dash.
Attached Images   
Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Dave, a taster ......
Attached Images   
Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave, a taster ......
Jeez, she looks a bit knackered?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
It's called 'potential'!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
or 'patina'..............
Old 12-26-2013, 10:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

That 912 is just stunning, you can see these long hoods doubling in value again over the 5-10 years.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?