Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:22 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stueysv8s
I'm a nz member in Rothesay bay auckland,
I have 2 cayenne turbos. Black one with 558hp the other 450.
Welcome aboard Stueysv8s!! Gotta post some pics of those Cayenne's
Old 01-05-2015, 03:26 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Sorry, can't get images to upload to RL from here in Picton. Poor internet service but Facebook works do have uploaded some photos to the RSG facebook group.

Dave kindly gave me a fresh crayfish for dinner!!! How's that! So dinner was fresh cray all to myself ", local Sav (hic). Oh and bread for my veges. Perfect :-)
Old 01-05-2015, 03:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Stu good to meet you.

John and Doug have Cayennes as tow cars so you are in good company!

Doug. That type aircon is all you need IMO. I have no idea what the difference is with "climate control" anyhows!

Sounds like the trip is working out well and the car is all you hoped for. Drive safe and see you Wed before 8am at the rendezvous!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Welcome aboard Stueysv8s!! Gotta post some pics of those Cayenne's
Welcome from me too. I've had my NA Cayenne S v8 for 7 years. What a great machine. Even did a track day at Puke in her and surprised several 911 drivers! They are a bit misunderstood and under rated until you own and really drive one. There's now several of us on this board who do "know" ;-)

You'll be loving the price of gas now :-)
Old 01-05-2015, 03:35 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Stu good to meet you.

John and Doug have Cayennes as tow cars so you are in good company!

Doug. That type aircon is all you need IMO. I have no idea what the difference is with "climate control" anyhows!

Sounds like the trip is working out well and the car is all you hoped for. Drive safe and see you Wed before 8am at the rendezvous!
The LCD's actually go in them anyway. Done one replacement LCD panel for a friend a wee while ago.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug - is the sports exhaust switchable - ie, like mine you have to hit the button to make it loud? If so I came across a kit from Carnewal which allows it to be left in loud mode - €150.

Looking forward to seeing the red in the flesh!!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:19 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Anyone driving south past Kaikoura needs to make time to meet up with David (shiraz). Passionate about his 993 manual - finding it and buying it is a story unto itself. Being the only p-car enthusiast like us in the area he's keen to meet and share a run with others of us traveling through. Plus, being brought up here he knows the best local driving roads. They're good. He can peddle nicely too ;-P
Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes David is good people. I think I may feature in that story somewhere, its a 993 after all LOL. David helped me out when I needed spare pads for SITT....

Pete. Latest "spy" pics of Cayman GT4 released today. Without camo! They were taken near Stuttgart. Belief is this is final production aesthetic with likely the real wheel design braking cover at launch (assumed Geneva March 2015). Looking good I reckon. Unique front and rear valence and rear spoiler as well as GT3/Turbo mirrors etc.
Attached Images    
Old 01-05-2015, 04:30 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Doug - is the sports exhaust switchable - ie, like mine you have to hit the button to make it loud? If so I came across a kit from Carnewal which allows it to be left in loud mode - €150. Looking forward to seeing the red in the flesh!!
Yeah, you'll like the red inside Pete - ha ha.

We need some red on red action (sounds dodgy but I mean later model DFI Cayman S with bells on vs old school Boxster S RS60). He'll win of course. Better performing machine and driver.

Are you going to get the kit?

When you first start it loud mode is on until vacuum pressure is enough to close it (or something like that). That's why initial seconds after starting is louder then it quietens. I leave for the gym at 6:30am weekdays so think I'll preserve neighbourly relations and leave it as is for now anyway. I read on RL recently a how to disable the loud off mode yourself. Seemed pretty simple and can be undone. Couple of wires disconnected under the dash somewhere. Read about it on the boxster forum I think.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Yes David is good people. I think I may feature in that story somewhere, its a 993 after all LOL. David helped me out when I needed spare pads for SITT....

Pete. Latest "spy" pics of Cayman GT4 released today. Without camo! They were taken near Stuttgart. Belief is this is final production aesthetic with likely the real wheel design braking cover at launch (assumed Geneva March 2015). Looking good I reckon. Unique front and rear valence and rear spoiler as well as GT3/Turbo mirrors etc.
Looks like a mini GT3!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jamie. I think that's what they are aiming for aesthetically, however we are all hoping they haven't backed off at that and have gone the full monty and put the 3.8 engine in with around 400 bhp. If its all looks but only makes 370bhp will be some very disappointed punters. Retail pricing is the other unknown and the bit that everyone is watching closely. If they pitch it too close to 80K GBP with options then you may as well go GT3 for 100K GBP (although the GT3 ends production before the GT4 is unveiled so they are crafty aye!). In NZ it will be interesting to see where they pitch this at Retail. If its where i suspect then it will cost 20K more to get into this car than it did for me to get into a GT3 which is insane. Time will tell...

Yes Doug/Pete its vacuum operated valve and easy to unplug from within the engine bay at least on 997.2 & 991 GT3 so i assume similar for boxster. the Carnewal kit gives you the benefit of a remote for turning it on and off as you wish I believe, but you can permanently turn if on full time for just a little of your own time...no saving the neighbours tho Doug - if its like the GT3 then when stone cold those valves take around 8-10 seconds to close and quieten down the car - by then all are awake LOL!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:01 AM
shiraz
Racer

Macca , you do feature in there -lot of detailed, helpful emails before I bought, cheers.
Test drove cayman s years ago, thought it only needed gt3 415hp to make it really special
Old 01-05-2015, 05:34 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Paul, remember the sound of the Boxster S engine note right behind you at 4000-7000 revs. With the sports exhaust it's crazily better. No need for a stereo!
Nice...........

Sounds like you are having an awful time and not really enjoying the car???
Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you going to get the kit? When you first start it loud mode is on until vacuum pressure is enough to close it (or something like that). That's why initial seconds after starting is louder then it quietens. I leave for the gym at 6:30am weekdays so think I'll preserve neighbourly relations and leave it as is for now anyway. I read on RL recently a how to disable the loud off mode yourself. Seemed pretty simple and can be undone. Couple of wires disconnected under the dash somewhere. Read about it on the boxster forum I think.
I like the idea of it still being switchable rather than always on. If it were easy to reverse the switch so default was on and you had to press the button to turn off then that would be ideal - the kit effectively does that as it remembers your last setting when the car was turned off. So I probably will (until the 13th rocks around and I get to hear Pete M's Borla again....!!

GT4 looks awesome - could be the perfect car but a big wedge to commit...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

A friend of mine used to own a Black 996 GT2 with X50 etc and I think from memory around 580kw and wow what a car! But to be honest I'd struggle to be able to enjoy it many places as just a slight shove of the throttle in any gear would see you in triple digit was a really doing that speed officer territory. I shared the drive with him up to Concourse de Elegance one year and remember pulling out and passing a couple of cars in third, not even full throttle, probably 75-80%... head mashed in the seat.... pulled in and I was doing over 200 clicks! I've been in some fast Fezza's, Lambo's etc
To be honest the thought of it is a little scary, though it wouldn't stop me

but those GT2's pull like 964 owner looking at a 993
LOL

And so a new journey begins.
Nice one Doug. Car looks spot on. The run over the Hundalee's was alway a favourite day ride when used to ride bikes on the road. Sadly the only other time i've done it in a sporting car was my brothers 750 hp GTR. Too peaky and far to much for those hills

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?