Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 07:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Nothing fake about that (it is a Carrera after all). Its more hotrod with those wheels than a retro...but boy did the previous owner have that suspension jacked up!

Paul. They sent me this one as a replacement and I like her much more! Shes called Miz MunroZ
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2013 | 07:13 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

That list is impressive Macca. I'm too scared to be that organised so just throw all receipts and invoices into a box and never add them up. If I did I'd worry too much. I just look at whats next on the list and worry about keeping the piggy bank inbox flowing so it can be done - or plan when.

Race car mods are much easier than than what Macca has done. No need to think about items like billet alloy cup holders and the carbon interior. The cheap and practical solution is to strap a camelbak to the back of the racetech seat. but you do send big on a small number of key hardware items - like 40 click remote reservoir shocks.

Road car needs the feel good/ambience stuff too and hit the right balance between sharp enough yet be comfortable and nice to be in. judging by comments here cost of a ground up build using an older chassis is nz100k+. which is confirmed by offshore markets aud 75-120k depending on spec and stg 60-80k. US might be potentially cheaper but LHD is no good for a ddriver.
Old 03-22-2013 | 07:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. They sent me this one as a replacement and I like her much more! Shes called Miz MunroZ
Macca, even through I am slightly younger than you, my taste is more old school mate - I like my cars with a steering wheel, gear stick & 3 peddles, and my women with flesh.............

Last edited by kiwi 911; 06-27-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2013 | 08:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks GT38088. You are right its a hard balance to hit and adds considerable $$$ to the vehicle to get the "ambiance" factor right. I have a few hobbies and one of them is mechanical wristwatches. Being in the car everything is turned billet alloy, genuine CF or leather. I over send getting the interior just right but I never regret it as is feels a very special place to be. Ok its no Pagani Zonda cockpit but its a fair step up from the factory offering.

Interestingly that cup holder was one of my favorite practical purchases. I like to go for long weekend early morning back-road drives and was always stuck for a place to put my water bottle. I got a hold of the guy who invented this and asked him to make up half a dozen RHD versions which he did and a few people on this board have them. They bolt over the M8 bolt that holds the front of the passenger seat rail in place and are discrete and low key. Work beautifully on all models...

http://inventivaconcepts.com/

You can see mine next to the extinguisher in the photo below. Its the small details that add up. Things like a silver inlay hood crest (I removed all "gold" from the car), then having a gent in the states colour inlay and resin coat a factory steering wheel crest in silver (the factory never did silver with red inlay) and also have him do the same for the four factory wheel center caps which were originally gold. Then there is silly stuff like the VDO guage dials which I wanted colour matched to the interior with my own custom "anniversary" logo. Those took 8 months wait from Europe on genuine VDO stock. There are about 30 features like this which all took alot of planning and time as they weren't off the shelf.

Yes, I think if you budgeted on $100k NZD plus the donor car you could achieve something similar. That would exclude making mistakes like I did. Unfortunately you cut alot of new ground in NZ on these projects because few have been before you. Like trying to get LINK G4 working with a 3.6 road engine. No one we could find had done this before and this is where you loose many 0,00s in tuning time and expertise. Unfortunately mistakes mean doing things twice in many cases and can add 15% over run. But if you had the advise of someone who has done this before you could save many of the mistakes. An example is I went Bilstein HD/B6 + Mo30 springs when I should have gone straight to coilover PSS10 (which I later did). If I were doing this again I might even throw another 5k at it and suggest you would go to Motons (separate resivoir) for true all round versatility. I looked into Singers cars in detail - they are using similar tech in Ohlins and this gets rather silly expensive for around 20k nzd a set! There is always a limit and you have to find it but to do anything properly costs money always as you know...
Attached Images            
Old 03-22-2013 | 08:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Its true we have different tastes. You like Pink for example LOL! Here is one of my Les-bots on a machine too - same but not the same....
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2013 | 05:44 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Its true we have different tastes. You like Pink for example LOL! Here is one of my Les-bots on a machine too - same but not the same....
Some skin better than none - but I'm still thinking "Cherry 2000"
- have you seen this movie?
Old 03-22-2013 | 07:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Paul. Yes Cherry 2000. A 90s hit! You cant deny Kimbas pretty sexy and the patch on her racing jacket really says it all..... Each to their own I guess...
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2013 | 02:02 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

could look at those little details for ages - nice pics macca. With that detailing I can imagine some of the multi jewel items in the watch portfolio.
what when you talked about 1295 weight how much gas in the tank at that weight?

hanging out here is definitely bad for the wallet. getting keen on pulling trigger on a project now. Not helped by a mate of mine starting a 2.7RS rep project using a LHD T out of the US.

Might just sell the Boxster S first and get Targa Rotorua out of the way then I will definitely have to do something since there will be a gap in the garage.
Old 03-23-2013 | 03:48 AM
mjg
Pro

Anyone else go(ing) to the Leadfoot Festival? I was there today, no Porsche action on the track, but there was a lovely red 993 RS on display (and a lot of other very nice machinery).
Old 03-23-2013 | 04:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi GT. That's with 40L of gas, all fluids and spare wheel, jack, electric spare pump etc. Basically as you would run it as a DD but without all the personal sundries/luggage etc.

The watch collection is quite modest these days really. Most of the vintage stuff has been sold.

A LHD 2.7RS project is sweet. Some friends in Singapore completed theres a few years back and I still haven't had a chance to get over there and drive it. Pictures below along with and interior shot of the car the others have seen but you may have missed and a .pdf of the brochure...
Attached Images     
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
carerra_anniversary_A5_v8.pdf (1.15 MB, 68 views)
Old 03-23-2013 | 06:18 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

beauty. Not tempted to put a 5pt harness in? Mate of mine has a 993 rs without cage and installed full harness with shoulder belts anchored off fixings right at the back shelf and can detach.
Old 03-23-2013 | 06:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi GT. I assume you refer to Robert? Yes I have thought of harness with eye anchors as you have described them but in the first instance awaiting my Heigo half cage from Germany. Once painted steel grey and installed will consider what next. There are some pictures of the cage 10 pages back. Can be removed leaving hoop in place within 10 mins and is FIA. My goal for the car is auto x; hillclimb and historic rally. Mostly the later in Europe in 5 years when the car qualifys 25 years classic. I have friends that do Monte Carlo Historica and many others in Uk and Italy and Spain and very keen to join in.

Buggar got an invite to Leadfoot last night but have planned a big drive to Raglan tommorow on backroads with 8 other regular Targa guys so now no time! Always time seems to be the challenge...

Last edited by Macca; 03-23-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2013 | 04:51 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Matt, did you meet Nelson? Did he take a look at your C2?
Old 03-23-2013 | 07:49 PM
mjg
Pro

Not yet, he's coming over this afternoon. Thanks for passing the details on to him!
Old 03-24-2013 | 03:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great drive today as part of Rons group. 350km including many wicked high speed empty back roads down to Raglan. Nice collection on P-cars (991S x 2, 991, 997TT, 993, 997.2 GT3RS etc) as well as M5 and 2012 Nissan GTR.

Heres a few screen captures from the GoPro video footage taken.

993 track suspension settings were shocking on the back roads! I should have delayed having the car set up for HD. Was very hard and skipped around alot. Managed to keep up with the pack but it was hard work without the usual compliance...back down to Peter Alder tomorow to get some more negative camber dialed into the rears....
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?