Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Cars looking great John. They really stand out with those bonnet graphics (as Im sure your wife and neighbours have reminded you!). Its a testament to all your hard work and the others in the group. Cant wait for the racing to start to give me another armchair hobby to follow! Im sure all that preparation will pay off!

Im curious. I know its 2K up but what do these two cars really owe now? 8-10K each once at the track?
Details are probably best kept for the RSG forum but broadly speaking on average (John can correct):

~2k car purchase
~1k wheels tyres fluids pads
~1k miscellaneous repairs plus OEM part purchases to replace custom stuff, labour to fit etc
~2K-3K passive safety equipment (cage, seats, belts)

Plus some spares (wheels, tyres, pads, fluids) shared between the cars and some pocket money towards graphics.

Safety is a big component (including decent pads and brake fluid) but I don't have the patience for long stints in traction so that's all good.

Fuel and entry fees on top, both very modest.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
No worries. They're looking awesome. Those big RSG tags remind me of the rooftop IDs on US police cruisers. Was going to ask whether we should add a magnetic letter somewhere to identify the installed driver (good for sorting pics and videos) but collective responsibility a la the NZ cabinet may yet have its advantages. Yep, I said I'd be happy to go mad with a polisher and get some wax on them, but if a rattle can is needed that's all good too. If the cars are up here I may be able to shoot round in the weekend, otherwise it'll have to be piecemeal between sessions on the 13th. I take it that power is available in the pits?
Walter, we have the white pen if you want to put your name on the car window for your session.

The big RSG tags are for shameless promotion if the events are filmed or photographed for media.

BB2 and the Grinch are at my place. If it's sunny this weekend they could both be done on the car pad. The vinyl wrap on BB2 looks great but has highlighted the poor roof paint. I think it needs a bogan black rattle gun coat. I need to take a break from the cars for the weekend and do house painting, so help with finishing the cars would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:24 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Walter, we have the white pen if you want to put your name on the car window for your session.

The big RSG tags are for shameless promotion if the events are filmed or photographed for media.

BB2 and the Grinch are at my place. If it's sunny this weekend they could both be done on the car pad. The vinyl wrap on BB2 looks great but has highlighted the poor roof paint. I think it needs a bogan black rattle gun coat. I need to take a break from the cars for the weekend and do house painting, so help with finishing the cars would be appreciated.
Will do. I love the big graphics and am trusting they will also start to mean 'resistance is futile' when seen back-to-front on track. Having taken a can to a Porsche before I'll look forward to similarly attacking BB2 this weekend. You'll know I got it wrong if we can no longer see out of the windows. Not that that slowed us down much at the BBQ runs.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nzskater
I could be wrong, but does the Aus market seem a little more realistic in their pricing of older 911's? Some interesting cars up for grabs:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-2352238
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-3037596

And then there's Frankencar:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-2917785
Not sure about those examples, but at the top end the 993 RS I saw over there had an asking of $420K AUD, and had just sold. I assume somewhere near there. That was a beautiful example with 78km. Rising tide lifts all boats.

Attachment 889971

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

^ Hope the new buyer checked there wasn't an SC lurking under there...
Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Will do. I love the big graphics and am trusting they will also start to mean 'resistance is futile' when seen back-to-front on track. Having taken a can to a Porsche before I'll look forward to similarly attacking BB2 this weekend. You'll know I got it wrong if we can no longer see out of the windows. Not that that slowed us down much at the BBQ runs.
No point being a shrinking violet on the track. Having lettering that big in your rear view mirror might just lead to eyes taken off the ball and a passing opportunity. I'll expect you over the weekend, weather willing.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:14 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
a Macca on a budget
Hahahahahah..........

This is an excellent saying (kinda like a picture says a thousand words)
Old 11-27-2014, 12:18 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I could be wrong, but does the Aus market seem a little more realistic in their pricing of older 911's? Some interesting cars up for grabs:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-2352238
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-3037596

And then there's Frankencar:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-2917785
The T coupe is a RHD conversion and needs a hundie on it to hold a candle to Dave's car (which would be the brenchmark)

The T Targa is a CIS (not MFI) engine, so being a targa, CIS and a T is about as least desirable a long hood as you can get.

The SC is a beast..............
Old 11-27-2014, 12:23 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Hi Paul. do you want our cars entered in the concours, or just looking presentable and there by 10.30 to set up for display?
Just 'show and shine' mate..........

Bring the boys (so my girls can beat them up)

130 people have signed up so far to come - will be a BIG day..........

Shame it conflicts with Puke track day, otherwise I would have been their to live vircariously through Chris, Sean, Neil and Pete.

Once Matt gets his 44 going - there will be 5 RSG'ers in the Porsche Series. PCNZ Race Series are loving the RSG..........
Old 11-27-2014, 12:36 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Not sure about those examples, but at the top end the 993 RS I saw over there had an asking of $420K AUD, and had just sold. I assume somewhere near there. That was a beautiful example with 78km. Rising tide lifts all boats.

Attachment 889971
How much was the white 308 Ferrari GTS?

I remember seeing an indentical spec car new at CCS and this was my dream car at age 11.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul, do you know Matt is going the 944 way or are you just trawling for a confirmation?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Buba gone fishin' me thinks
Old 11-27-2014, 02:13 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not on "my" roads I hope

http://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/6...peed-tolerance
Old 11-27-2014, 03:14 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
How much was the white 308 Ferrari GTS? I remember seeing an indentical spec car new at CCS and this was my dream car at age 11.
Paul I missed a white one. about 4 or 5 308s or 328s there. it's been a while since seeing one in the flesh and couldn't get over the great baloon profile michelins. Bianca must be super rare, perfect Miami vice material.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:25 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by O2GO
For me, speed enforcement jumped the shark when the idiocy of varied holiday tolerances got past the sanity police, but the next chapter is almost written and a far greater threat to your favourite roads Doug.

The recent media headlines have all thrown the focus on the hundred or two kilometres of newly built divided motorway that is under consideration for a 110 limit (shouldn't be called a motorway anyway in my book if under 130) but only a sentence or two devoted to the much more important aspect of the same speed review which is that they're considering dropping the limit from 100 down much lower on many of NZ's B and C roads. So we'd be getting an extra 10 kph on about 100 kms of road while losing 20 or 30 kph on potentially tens of thousands of kms of our more interesting roads.

Knowing that it would be political suicide to increase the commuting time of the majority, I'm picking they would hammer the sparsely populated back roads and byways the hardest. No points for guessing that they will use the safety angle to push it through, before later using the lowered speed limits to justify cutting back on related road maintenance since people aren't going fast enough for potholes to be a problem anyway. Sometimes I despair at how we fall for it again and again...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?