John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Videos from yesterday

Old 10-18-2014, 04:14 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching those videos with it being so wet is creapy. After my spin and crash on the back straight I guess it is going to take a fair while to get confidence back in the wet although it didn't bother me at NITT at Taupo in BB. ChrisM, you are inspiring me!!! Certainly doing it in an integra makes so much sense. I'll be leaving the 911 at home on wet days for a fair while.

Sounds like a great day.... If I didn't have so much workshop stuff to get done I'd be out there with you.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:03 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
From the 2k cup forum.....Walter! Mark dunkley turning session 2 into a drift session Mx5 99 massive slides out of 4 having a great time.
Had a great view of some of those in the mirror!

The new integra boys in 61 and 62 having a whale of a time. Even if one did tap my car on the corner I was flag marshaling.
He was really great about it. A fairly agressive entry to the hairpin on an inside line saw the door get slammed on me hard at the apex by car 8, resulting in BB2 giving him a bit of nudge that saw him recover near the track out point. I stayed on his bumper and passed him a lap or so later, so didn't profit unfairly from my racing incident. Brilliant crowd on track and the sausage at the end was well earned by all.

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-18-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:26 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Had a great view of some of those in the mirror!

He was great about it. A fairly agressive entry to the hairpin on an inside line saw the door get slammed on me hard at the apex by car 8, resulting in BB2 giving him a bit of nudge that saw him recover near the track out point. I stayed on his bumper and passed him a lap or so later, so didn't profit unfairly from my racing incident. Brilliant crowd on track.
Might need to be careful with the incidents, hate to see us sent home! The experienced guys will always close the door, but you have to be far enough forward to have the right to go in to a corner 2 wide, you can't just dive in to the corner and expect them to let you have it!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:39 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Might need to be careful with the incidents, hate to see us sent home! The experienced guys will always close the door, but you have to be far enough forward to have the right to go in to a corner 2 wide, you can't just dive in to the corner and expect them to let you have it!
Yes - absolutely. Treating it as a learning experience.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:42 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

There are some diagrams that were circulated about a year ago through different race series that have examples of who has right away in different situations. I will try and dig them out.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:06 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
There are some diagrams that were circulated about a year ago through different race series that have examples of who has right away in different situations. I will try and dig them out.
Thanks Chris. I think they're the ones from the BMW e30 series which MSNZ now sends out with new competition licences so all should be getting those this week. They're very good. Knew I was in the wrong once it happened, just miscalculated.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

I found the file on racing lines and right of way. Its part of a GTRNZ newsletter, so ignore the first few pages, but worth a read.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Racing lines and right of way.pdf (638.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Thanks Chris. I think they're the ones from the BMW e30 series which MSNZ now sends out with new competition licences so all should be getting those this week. They're very good. Knew I was in the wrong once it happened, just miscalculated.
Cross post, yes the MSNZ document is the one.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Race licenses sorted. Now working on getting the parts for the Grinch so we have everything ready for 14/12.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Thanks John and the other team RSG drivers for a wonderful day. I appreciate it all happening and the input form everyone. The cars and the teams will be competitive, I feel, once we can see where we are going and there is more traction.
My lasting memory will be coming down the main straight with three cars abreast in front of me but so much rain and spray that I couldn't see them until they braked, and faint red brake lights showed ahead. Putting on the brakes and aquaplaning straight into turn one ,pumping the brakes a couple of times, until, just before the sand the tyres bit and I turned into the corner.
Thought of Doug and my last aquaplanes and was very grateful that the speed was far less and no damage. What fun and adrenalin. But I really don't like the wet and went carefully. Looking forward to some dry runs .
Good news. My 944 is all fixed and ready to go so after our Fiji holiday will be trying to get as many laps as possible to get to know the car and be comfortable and hopefully competitive.
Well done Chris and Ralf for your bb runs. Either she is getting faster or we are all Improving. Improving I suspect.
Thanks Chris for the cornering diagrams , very helpful.
Hope to see you all soon.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Neil, it was a great start and we will learn with each outing. I have researched anti fog solutions. The low tech version is to rub shampoo or dishwashing liquid over the glass. A higher tech solution is to wire a marine bilge pump up. Neither solution is expensive.

As for the braking. If it was the Grinch, the suspicion is that it had a sticking Caliper, impacting on brake application. Next time you drive it there will be refurbed calipers, new rotors and new pads. Plus I'll sort out the decals, steering wheel, thermostat, idle valve, roll bar padding, extinguisher etc.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Im certainly no expert on these but it seems cheap? http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=795917903
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Im certainly no expert on these but it seems cheap? http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=795917903
The car had been discussed on early 911. Has a few things incorrect about it. Might be good for an outlaw car, but will never be concourse contender?
Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Neil, it was a great start and we will learn with each outing. I have researched anti fog solutions. The low tech version is to rub shampoo or dishwashing liquid over the glass. A higher tech solution is to wire a marine bilge pump up. Neither solution is expensive.
Cool. In BB2 I found that running the heater on max for demisting would just manage to clear it a lap or two in. Might be a trick for hot summer days too if the engine needs extra cooling.

As for the braking. If it was the Grinch, the suspicion is that it had a sticking Caliper, impacting on brake application. Next time you drive it there will be refurbed calipers, new rotors and new pads. Plus I'll sort out the decals, steering wheel, thermostat, idle valve, roll bar padding, extinguisher etc.
LEGEND. Can't get away to help much on the mechanical side due to my better half pinning me down with the kids but if no-one objects I'll bring some toys along and start shining the beasties up a bit next time between sessions. Should help them slip through the gaps that bit easier.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?