Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

haha yes its time that heals the budget. In reality its probably more like 110% spent but that doesn't mean it stops - just slows down for a while and is spent on other things like events where the payoff is the enjoyment from the capex/manintenance
Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thats nice to know John but unless you are retiring Herman from all track duties its a problem that wont heal itself. As they synchro wears it will leave deposits on the gear collar and if you are unlucky could eventually create a far more expensive issue than I had. However if you nurse it it may be ok for a while longer. Its the temperatures in the box and the loads on the track that largely accelerate the wear. It may pay to double de clutch as I was (trying) to do towards the end of SITT on the track to make it kinder on the box from 2 to 3. Im not sure of your future plans for Herman and RSG but Im getting the distinct feeling the NITT will be swan song for a few looking to retire their old timers from regular track duty in lieu of longer term mechanical sympathy. Im not sure how long my old girl will remain out there but she's been rebuilt with a medium term view so Im fingers crossed for no unexpected bills in the next 12 months as its been an expensive year for many of us.
I'm not retiring Herman from track duties, just taking more care of him e.g. circulate in 1.25 instead of 1.20. Concurrently I will get some more sessions in BB and look for a similar car to buy. The right cars are surprisingly thin on the ground. If I get something the same specs as BB we can have some duels on the track. It will evolve given time. BB certainly seems to be adding something to the mix. It was intended as an addendum to our RSG days, now running here has become an event in itself and I have to say a very affordable way to have some fun. I just need to get myself into the 1.28.xx to get some cred.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. I agree that 2K cup offers a solution and value for your track day dime. Im curious - do you see RSG events becoming the partial domain of cars like BB in the future (i.e. if you buy one for yourself and say a few others follow suit)? Curious. I saw BB as a one off way for folk to measure their ability against others in the same car. RSG was always about Porsche.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. I agree that 2K cup offers a solution and value for your track day dime. Im curious - do you see RSG events becoming the partial domain of cars like BB in the future (i.e. if you buy one for yourself and say a few others follow suit)? Curious. I saw BB as a one off way for folk to measure their ability against others in the same car. RSG was always about Porsche.
I see RSG as a way for Porsche fanatics with a driving bent to get together and enjoy their cars with like minded people. That is still going strong and i don't see it changing. What is changing is the attendee composition and number of events. I have done 24 track days since March last year, 14 of which have been RSG Days (includes the 6 on the NITT & SITT), so it's never been RSG exclusive for me. I'm now looking for more of a mix and to be honest some lower costs in the year ahead. I don't have exact costs but I expect each RSG Porsche session costs $1,000 in fees, gas, pads, tyres etc. If I have an accident I could be up for $20,000+. Put that into a 2k cup context and the costs don't even compare. I will attend as many RSG events as possible, but won't be pushing it...until Lola comes back. I don't think BB will or should run in the RSG group.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

All good John. Cant argue with that.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:25 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Will let John answer for himself but my take on it is that BB will have done herself proud when we've all had a run in the best traditions of Top Gear's 'Star in a reasonably priced car'. Actually our leaderboard is probably more representative since it seems to rain less here than at the Bedford Aerodrome.

Demands of the wife and kids mean I'm still rather an RSG virgin (banner goes on for the NITT) but, from what I've picked up, extending our boundaries in our Porsches on track is the core of it - along with mateship, some shared pain and the "7-tenths: Yeah Right' approach to it all.

Think the idea of BB was actually spawned as the red-headed stepchild of the Herman vs Lola wars, then her dance card filled up quickly. As you say, it was to allow a more direct driver comparison without putting everyone in someone else's $$$ car on track. Good fun, but just a sidebar to the main RSG story.

That said, some of those hoping to scratch the racing itch pointed out early in the talent search that the chosen car could maybe do double duty in the 2Kcup too. For those wanting some close and cheap racing, it doesn't come much closer or cheaper (as with bucket bikes) than the 2Kcup so it is not surprising that she has piqued some interest there too.

IIRC, John was also keen to push harder and learn racecraft and limit handling in something that allowed cheap mistakes. The Rotax Senior karting trials were a brilliant spin-off of that too (even if the spinning off was pretty literal for most).

I reckon the odd side interest like BB or karting just adds some extra spice to it all.

Crossposted - John's already answered
Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walter you have a way with words!

I think you sum it up in a balanced fashion and finish it off on the right note.

I just thought that it was appropriate to seek some clarification on where John saw this going as BB was his (good) initiative and it seems to have spawned a desire for more. I cant speak for others but I joined RSG for its Porsche content and even during the early days on the committee I was very defensive of it remaining pretty much exclusively so (big debates amongst the committee about Robert Ho joining after selling his Porsche etc). That being said any side events in the name of keeping things fresh and fun for the group are worthy of consideration...barring of course evening lap dancers in Fielding.....
Old 08-13-2014, 04:50 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was introduced to the group by Paul (curiously missing of late). For me the idea was to enjoy my car, preferably with like minded Porsche nuts.. I watched this become a track orientated, fastest 964/993 thing very quickly and the $$ spent, while making the cars better on the track, were huge.. and shortening the life of the car and slimming the wallet of the owner..(Not to mention the compromise costs with the good ladies). Then it evolved, as good groups do, to the NITT/SITT, Nth to Sth cruise etc.
It has been a great group and the BB thing sorts out the peacocks at minimal expense. Now that many of you wish to test yourselves, rather than the car (Pcar) the 2K Cup or BMW series surely offers better value than wringing the necks of our beloved Porsche. If we went back thru all Johns posts, where it is... 996TT, or do up the 964, or his drive the beautiful Turbo, the changes in intent/attitude are awesome.. Envy you John, but it interesting to read your thoughts that after spending so much to make Herman the beast, you now are going to back off 5 sec/lap, or get a 2k cup car.
This group will have much BS to discuss come the 7th.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by nzskater
Doug, so sorry to read about your off. Really gutting mate. Good to see you're ok and taking the pragmatic approach to bringing her back to life. From the sound of things you might take the non standard route, which I for one support. 100% OEM is for garage queens, take advantage of the opportunity and make her your own. Look forward to the end result!
Thanks mate. Garage queen is not what I want. I want to put another 100,000 km on her over the next 10 years if I can. It's interesting thinking of all the options but not much fun getting home each night and seeing the sad battered girl in my garage. Another day of drying out (rained onthe trip home yesterday) and her cover will go on to cover the achne.

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug sent me a photo of Lola safely in his garage. Step one done. Step 2 is to plan. My thought after seeing that video and knowing how information can be distorted is why not document her rebirth in full and if funds allow then put a 3.8 conversion in her? Everything baselined and sorted for the next 20 years. She would be better than before, plus be unique. A win/win.
Being an on-line kinda guy i've been thinking about this. Maybe I'll start a blog or a Facebook page. If RL picture posting form iOS actually worked you'd all be seeing progress but having to fire up a PC to post images is such a PITA it ain't going to happen soon.

Its a nice idea. But its a $65,000+ idea to put her together again with some mild cosmetic tweaks and rebuild the engine into a strong 3.8 with a tuned exhaust. Afterwards Doug may not want to drive it on the track or in anger ever again and it might become a show car?
No way I'm spending Macca$s on her. :-P
Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, Walter got it bang on.

Jamie spotting BB on Trademe was timely. Dave's help in buying her and doing the initial tart up was instrumental, not to mention Ralf's effort last weekend helped no end. Add Chris x2 making room for her at HD and you've got a lot of people doing their bit. I enjoy seeing it working out so well, plus some temporarily without cars are using it to keep their eyes in. Didn't expect that. Long may she last, or at least until I can set a competitive time!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 AM
PHG
Racer

So... the 7th
Parimar is on HW18, as outlined in pink on the attached. As you drive onto HW from Quay St, veer to your right, you will see acorrugated fence with a keypad. Enter the code 40200 and then the arrow, the barrier arm will lift, and drive onto the wharf.. same code for the security gate.
What time gentlefolk..4.00 or thereabouts, or a bit earlier. I am relaxed[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
I was introduced to the group by Paul (curiously missing of late). For me the idea was to enjoy my car, preferably with like minded Porsche nuts.. I watched this become a track orientated, fastest 964/993 thing very quickly and the $$ spent, while making the cars better on the track, were huge.. and shortening the life of the car and slimming the wallet of the owner..(Not to mention the compromise costs with the good ladies). Then it evolved, as good groups do, to the NITT/SITT, Nth to Sth cruise etc.
It has been a great group and the BB thing sorts out the peacocks at minimal expense. Now that many of you wish to test yourselves, rather than the car (Pcar) the 2K Cup or BMW series surely offers better value than wringing the necks of our beloved Porsche. If we went back thru all Johns posts, where it is... 996TT, or do up the 964, or his drive the beautiful Turbo, the changes in intent/attitude are awesome.. Envy you John, but it interesting to read your thoughts that after spending so much to make Herman the beast, you now are going to back off 5 sec/lap, or get a 2k cup car.
This group will have much BS to discuss come the 7th.
Aye aye Capt my Capt. Right you are ha ha!

I dont think John works for a Bank. Maybe he is the owner of Rennlist. This is his Oprah room. His post count is only equal to my own and Im hands up about being unemployed/able. I reckon John has the best job in the world, it literally pays for his hobby ;-P

Phils got a point John. A month ago you were going to break into mid 19s. Now you are backing off 5s a lap? The turbo was going to Europe for a last tour now its got years of road trips in godzone ahead of it and last week the 996TT was for sale but 2 new engine mounts renders it non cost effective to sell for 6 months....I reckon you need to get the lithium dose sorted out mate...I can give you some of mine on the 7th after Phil spikes our drinks!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
If we went back thru all Johns posts, where it is... 996TT, or do up the 964, or his drive the beautiful Turbo, the changes in intent/attitude are awesome.. Envy you John, but it interesting to read your thoughts that after spending so much to make Herman the beast, you now are going to back off 5 sec/lap, or get a 2k cup car. This group will have much BS to discuss come the 7th.
Yes, I'm unfortunately someone who has to experience it first hand and it's been an expensive journey. Herman has taken a lot of the spend in the last year. However I intend to drive him until he or I drops so it's an investment. Doug, the car with the most km at the end wins so you driving Herman on Sunday is helping!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still here Phil, just busy with life and work at the moment mate and with nothing much to say about Pcars at the moment (don't all laugh at once.......)

I did the PCNZ WOTY with Jenni last weekend. The 993 broke down following Ron and Patsy. I snapped a universal joint leaving the steering wheel 'free spinning'. We were bloody lucky this happened in a carpark and not travelling at a 100 and something following R&P for the previous hour earlier, otherwise I would just be greatful the car was dented and not Jen or I. So we borrowed the ONLY rental car in Morrinsville (a $3K Nissan rent a dent) and finally got to Napier 10 hours later. Was a great weekend and we managed to get rides as Pcar passengers over the weekend.

The 993 is being retired from hardcore (find a 1.15.XX) track duties. I don't have a full set of track tyres and can't get a full set of 221's at the moment. So any future track trips will be at 'sand bag camo cap Dave' pace on road tires.

Put me down for the 7th please.

Fancy boat mate - P.s. do I need to bring any beers or just the girls?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Aye aye Capt my Capt. Right you are ha ha! I dont think John works for a Bank. Maybe he is the owner of Rennlist. This is his Oprah room. His post count is only equal to my own and Im hands up about being unemployed/able. I reckon John has the best job in the world, it literally pays for his hobby ;-P Phils got a point John. A month ago you were going to break into mid 19s. Now you are backing off 5s a lap? The turbo was going to Europe for a last tour now its got years of road trips in godzone ahead of it and last week the 996TT was for sale but 2 new engine mounts renders it non cost effective to sell for 6 months....I reckon you need to get the lithium dose sorted out mate...I can give you some of mine on the 7th after Phil spikes our drinks!
Haha. I spend my days reading endless pages of docs. Rennlist is my micro pause.

Truth is I no longer see the point in mid 1.19. With Lola out of action for awhile and the hard nuts running sub 1.16 I've got no-one to dance with. Back off a few seconds and there's a group to play with and Herman is not so stressed at that pace. The Turbo 3.6 is eventually going offshore but I'm going to enjoy it a while longer before that happens. As for the 996TT, engine mounts, spoiler alert and now a loose rear light...the fun never stops there. Right now it's my DD. It gets me to work in comfort. Good for Winter.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?