Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug, sorry to hear about your moment mate, been there and it sucks, but glad to hear you are ok.

Thanks everyone for the responses on the establishment in NZ. Should be sorted for now.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im thinking red wheels look quite good against the dark silver on the 996TT!
Someone else can take that lead. No changes whatsoever to the 996TT. I have a couple of engine mounts on the way for it, and a spoiler issue to resolve, then it's on its way to a new owner after the NITT.

With that decided I'm putting Herman's space saver, truck carpet etc back in and will do the NITT on road tyres, most likely.

A simple enjoyable social trip with some track time.

When Lola is back out terrorizing the C4s I may change my mind, but right now I'm intending to wind back running Herman hard and look for a 2k cup car for 2015. I can laugh off stacking a $5,000 car into a wall, I can't do the same for Herman. I'd also like some more protection, like a roll cage and don't want to go down that route with the 964.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I would either repair it original or if you do want to go backdate then go steel as fiberglass cheapens the look by a lot IMHO.
Fiberglass rarely looks right or fits properly, I'd start by making a list of what you need and keep an eye out for parts that pop up here or overseas.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
When Lola is back out terrorizing the C4s I may change my mind, but right now I'm intending to wind back running Herman hard and look for a 2k cup car for 2015. I can laugh off stacking a $5,000 car into a wall, I can't do the same for Herman. I'd also like some more protection, like a roll cage and don't want to go down that route with the 964.
I wouldn't know where to hide a 4th car but I'm coming around to your way of thinking. Trying to solve the Gordian Knot of having my car do double duty as a family fit daily driver and as a track rat is starting to do my head in. Some good news came in that an LVV car can be put back to stock, inspected and then the certifier will remove the LVV plate but trying to work out how to compliantly flip between street and (caged, harnessed) track configs is the stuff of despair. Finding stories about the LVVTA making someone jump through 57 hoops over the course of months to get his TUV approved KW V3 suspension approved here does not fill me with hope either as the german TUV certificate is tough and pretty much the gold standard in the civilized world.

An advantage of a cheap racer is that would also likely fall under the annoying engine size limits for rallying. As soon as they invent affordable time travel, I'm picking there'd be huge fields in Group B. Will have to give BB a thrash soon and see how it feels.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Apparently there are 80 entries for the 2kcup this year. Some of them were practicing in our Playday group. Pete and Chris were overtaking them relatively easily and remember that BB has cheap tyres etc. they both got out of the cars with grins.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Someone else can take that lead. No changes whatsoever to the 996TT. I have a couple of engine mounts on the way for it, and a spoiler issue to resolve, then it's on its way to a new owner after the NITT.

With that decided I'm putting Herman's space saver, truck carpet etc back in and will do the NITT on road tyres, most likely.

A simple enjoyable social trip with some track time.

John. Without wishing this to be in any way taken wrong, I don't think you need to change your modus operandi significantly with regards to Herman nor your enjoyment of the track. My observation of your driving and the way you approach the track over the 7 track days I have been on with you are that you are pacing yourself within your comfort/experience zone, and not over driving your car at any time. You've built up a lot of experience but take a fairly conservative approach to the track and thus seem to be a very even headed and consistent drive, and someone I always feel comfortable driving with on the track. Accidents can happen to any of us at any time (sometimes collateral damage), but I would not out you in the high risk category as I do not believe you are taking undue risks for your experience level. Infact on the SITT you were enjoying cruising the track at times taking footage of the group etc so no evidence of the red mist I have seen in your driving to date!

Personally I think you should continue to grow your passion/hobby with Herman at your own pace and maybe just tweak it a little with regards to:

A). Timing events (don't have the display on in the car - just down load it at home - I do this and it keeps me getting silly out there). Seeing your time each lap can make you push on a little hard at times.

B). Insurance. Get some and you may feel more secure. Above A is requirement of Prestigio cover so each takes care of the other...

C). Set realistic limits on weather as a group. RSG is not about racing but enjoying the sport whilst maintaining personal and property preservation and having a great social occasion. If its pissing down make a group call to abandon it and go to the pub and talk cars for the afternoon. Its $200 after all. Otherwise have a personal set of rules, 70% met likelihood of rain in the morning = road tyres always or cancellation.

D). Keep the spare wheel in the trunk. Its an integral part of the crash structure (10kg aint gonna make a difference)! below is a reminder - the had to air jack the spare wheel out of this 993 tub after a bad off at the track!
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Trundle
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks for all the happy thoughts. I can't see how I could afford to repair her fully at the moment, but a fibreglass backdate kit, now that's something to start exploring.
Doug, Just heard from Dean @ CCS this morning. Positives: You are fit and well and ready for continuing on with the Boxter S. Lola will spring back to life - there is a collective comment re what to do next means that you are not alone when it comes to repatriating Lola. I suspect the whole of RSG will don their thinking caps and parts, mods and many other things that comprise an ICU back to good health for Lola will be forthcoming. Meantime, we shall see you back in the saddle next track day. VBR, Tony
Old 08-04-2014, 02:41 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really sorry to hear the news Doug and relieved you're ok. Every setback is an opportunity and I'm looking forward to seeing Lola rise again. Pretty sure I've got a spare oil cooler lying about if yours is stuffed which you can have. If you've still got a headache tomorrow, make sure you get it checked. You'll need it on the track when the car is reborn and I don't have a spare.

I support the sentiment of going to the pub. How come we don't do that more often? Must be time for an AGM. Doug drinks free.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks everyone for all of your offers of parts, research, help and ideas and support. It certainly leaves me not feeling alone on this.

I went in and saw Dean this morning, we called Steve and had a conference call together. Steve had hosed Lola down and carefully unloaded her off the trailer into his lockup workshop at Hampton Downs where she'll stay until we've worked out the next steps.

Both were adamant to first look at rebuilding Lola properly. She was too good to butcher. NZ new, a good manual coupe, and increasing in value. Steve had a quick but reasonable look at the structural damage which he said was minor. It will need to go on a jog regardless to check and tweak a little but she's fundamentally in good shape. Will need a new A arm, strutt, and a few panels. The bonnet seems to have escaped damage.

Next, Dean, Steve and I are going to meet later in the week at HD and go over the damage in detail and compile a list of parts and work required. From there Dean will price up genuine parts as a starting place from where to work from. Steve said at times a new unpainted part is less work than a second hand part so we start from that basis. Then we have a max budget figure and can then look at various strategies with second hand parts for some of the bits etc.

I've shared the video from the control room a few dozen times and shared it with a few friends. Don't really feel like posting it here, maybe later. I was going fast. Stupidly by the looks. Comes from being too new to this. The wise guys mostly didn't go out for the last run. was incredibly lucky to walk away from it. It could have been much worse. I also wasn't far from missing the concrete wall and ending up scott free in the kitty litter like Neil.

Went to the chiro today to straighten my spine out. Felt better after that. Emotions running hot and cold. Trying not to say "if only I....". Pointless to beat myself up more than I already have.

Got to head off now on an errand. Maybe more later.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Black Beauty top 3:
1. Chris = Green @ 1.27.944
2. Peter = Orange @ 1.28.039
3. Dave = Red @ 1.28.502
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 04:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris the Vmax King @ 172.2km/hr. How much more is left in BB?
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 04:31 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

You b****** thrashed her!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:41 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

I am getting more and more stuff together for the Marsden Rowing Club container.
I think it is a great opportunity to get all the stuff you have on your shopping list cheap from the US.
I have a set of tyres, brake pads, door mirrors, steelie car mount, a set of front strut inserts and a set of rear shocks until now. Still a couple of days left to do more shopping, fingers crossed the family accountant hasn't detected the money going to The States until now.
Any ideas what else would be a good bargain to bring in?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

I'm pleased to hear the damage may not be too structural and that the way forward involves the correct restoration/repair. As you said Doug she is too good a car to be diluted.
Thanks for the tracings John. Very interesting and informative. This is probably the best way to really understand and learn how to get faster.
Macca , my wife says the chairs are beautiful but won't be appreciated enough in our household. So not for us. Good luck with the sale . They won't last long.
My car is in to CCS on Thursday for a clean and tidy up and ready for the NITT. Can't wait. See you soon .
Old 08-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks everyone for all of your offers of parts, research, help and ideas and support. It certainly leaves me not feeling alone on this.

I went in and saw Dean this morning, we called Steve and had a conference call together. Steve had hosed Lola down and carefully unloaded her off the trailer into his lockup workshop at Hampton Downs where she'll stay until we've worked out the next steps.

Both were adamant to first look at rebuilding Lola properly. She was too good to butcher. NZ new, a good manual coupe, and increasing in value. Steve had a quick but reasonable look at the structural damage which he said was minor. It will need to go on a jog regardless to check and tweak a little but she's fundamentally in good shape. Will need a new A arm, strutt, and a few panels. The bonnet seems to have escaped damage.

Next, Dean, Steve and I are going to meet later in the week at HD and go over the damage in detail and compile a list of parts and work required. From there Dean will price up genuine parts as a starting place from where to work from. Steve said at times a new unpainted part is less work than a second hand part so we start from that basis. Then we have a max budget figure and can then look at various strategies with second hand parts for some of the bits etc.

I've shared the video from the control room a few dozen times and shared it with a few friends. Don't really feel like posting it here, maybe later. I was going fast. Stupidly by the looks. Comes from being too new to this. The wise guys mostly didn't go out for the last run. was incredibly lucky to walk away from it. It could have been much worse. I also wasn't far from missing the concrete wall and ending up scott free in the kitty litter like Neil.

Went to the chiro today to straighten my spine out. Felt better after that. Emotions running hot and cold. Trying not to say "if only I....". Pointless to beat myself up more than I already have.

Got to head off now on an errand. Maybe more later.
Good update Douggie. Sounds like you're on to it. Send me through the parts list when you get it and Ill have it quoted by my guys in the states. It will save you 35%+ landed over EMD Im fairly confident. Try and get a labour estimate if at all possible. At $80 a hour this is where the big variances can occur. If theres something you can save 10-12 hours on like wet and dry sanding your primered panels and pre hanging before painting and assembling may be something a couple of the RSG lads can do in Steve or Deans workshop on a Sat/Sun to save some coin. Ive done it once or twice myself on a Sunday at CCS years gone by...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?