Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013 | 07:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok gents, opinions are like a%%holes, everyone has one and most stink That said I agree on the wheels and tail, but no other criticism welcome as I just bought it.
Old 02-17-2013 | 07:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Techart body pieces, RUF calipers, RUF suspension, RUF steering wheel, Cup bypass. Wheels that only a mother could love, but ok for the track, as is the P-extension tail.
Old 02-17-2013 | 08:28 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
That said I agree on the wheels and tail, but no other criticism welcome as I just bought it.
Seriously - great stuff John! No doubt you've seen them but there's a set of cup IIs on trademe - a bit pricey though. Or a set of well priced hollow spoke turbo twists - at ET40 might need a bit of bodywork to squeeze them on.

I can't say welcome to the 964 fold as technically you're already there but when Jason gets back on track we'll have to line up the red, white and blue.

When do you get it then?
Old 02-17-2013 | 09:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Seriously - great stuff John! No doubt you've seen them but there's a set of cup IIs on trademe - a bit pricey though. Or a set of well priced hollow spoke turbo twists - at ET40 might need a bit of bodywork to squeeze them on.

I can't say welcome to the 964 fold as technically you're already there but when Jason gets back on track we'll have to line up the red, white and blue.

When do you get it then?
Yes, seriously. Just paid the deposit. I had a good chat to the broker, Jon Pottinger [ex owner of Powerhaus - he brokered my Turbo 3.6 purchase in 2001], and got comfort over the history.

Sadly, the current owner's health is not good so it's unlikely to be driven by him again.

Two owners for a 23 year old car is a general positive, as is the rest of the history. That said, these cars are always a bit of a gamble, and there will be costs, but I have the luxury here of being able to wrench most things given time and direction.

The best bit is that I can throw this car around Hampton Downs without any real concern, as it's not my DD or only car. The Wife is semi understanding, but if the Turbo 3.6 is not used, then I think that will be up for sale.
Old 02-17-2013 | 10:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Congrats John! Look forward to seeing the new acquisition on 29th March. I'm sure the 964 boys will help you with a long list of "must have upgrades"!
Old 02-17-2013 | 11:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I'll be there, bells and all. These are the direction I'd like them to evolve in.
Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2013 | 11:23 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Techart body pieces, RUF calipers, RUF suspension, RUF steering wheel, Cup bypass. Wheels that only a mother could love, but ok for the track, as is the P-extension tail.
All good! Enjoy on the 29th and hope to see it when I'm back next.
Old 02-17-2013 | 11:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I like the top one's stance. The boys will put you right but Id be suggesting KW variant 3 or H&R coilovers if you want that height (RS) and handling on track. PSS10 is an alternative for road/light track. You will probably need some new front RS uprights and definitely some adjustable RS sway bars for that set up (to avoid bump steer). Would recommend replacing the tie rods whilst in there (they will have play) and some nothalene bushes whilst its all apart. Not sure what the recommended brake upgrade is on these but suspect Big Red 993 fronts would do the trick. You may be advised to go front andback top mount/camber plates to get the geometry right for this stance too...

I can put you in touch with Kerscher in Germany who built my wheels. A few pictures of their 964 offerings below. They make all wheels to custom offsets and finish (i.e. you can have them polished). Much stronger and lighter than the usual speedline knock offs (which Id stay away from).

Its bloody fun spending other people money on Porsches for a change LOL!
Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:22 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I reckon you do a C4 lightweight tribute car

http://www.sportscaradvisors.com/aut...ightweight-964

Just out of interest, Did you consider the C2 in ChCh?
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:32 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Crikey John. It aint a competition to see who can own the most Pcars. Congrats!
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I reckon you do a C4 lightweight tribute car

http://www.sportscaradvisors.com/aut...ightweight-964

Just out of interest, Did you consider the C2 in ChCh?
I do like the idea of lightening the car, although a more obvious place to start would have been the C2 in ChCh.

I did consider it but the suggestion it was ex UK put me off, as did the confusion over mileage etc. in the end buying on an ex Porsche mechanic i knew and could talk to was a better choice for me.
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Crikey John. It aint a competition to see who can own the most Pcars. Congrats!
Yes, it is looking a tad excessive. 996tt for shopping trolley, Turbo 3.6 as garage queen / concours car and the 964 for play days.

The previous owner is terminally ill. If it floats my boat I'm doing it while I can.
Old 02-18-2013 | 04:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

C4 lightweight is a great concept as Paul says. Really isnt worth doing a replica like that IMHO unless you make the necessary power and drive-line upgrades. However there are some great design cues from that car you could integrate. Loosing 100Kg+ could be achieved by removing all carpet/rear seats, RS door cards and recaro pole positions. I just love those headlight light surrounds in black. That couldn't cost more that $50 in paint and prep surely!
Old 02-18-2013 | 05:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I do like the idea of lightening the car, although a more obvious place to start would have been the C2 in ChCh.

I did consider it but the suggestion it was ex UK put me off, as did the confusion over mileage etc. in the end buying on an ex Porsche mechanic i knew and could talk to was a better choice for me.
All good - I like the idea of the C4 lightweight as they are lighter and rarer than an RS.

Let me know if you are serious about selling the 3.6 964T, could be tempted to talk to the bank man..........................
Old 02-18-2013 | 05:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Let me know if you are serious about selling the 3.6 964T, could be tempted to talk to the bank man..........................
I will keep that in mind. Although it has similar connotations to my 40th Birthday watch that I sold to a colleague who insisted on wearing it in my presence. I kept on getting sellers remorse. Don't hassle your bank man too soon. This is a decision hat needs time.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?