Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Doug, my immediate thought was of your health, but I was still recording on the GoPro in a state of shock. When you are in the mood, if ever, I can show you the videos and photos. You had done a complete 360 when you hit the wall then unwound 90 degrees before hitting the tyre wall. It was almost the same spot that Neil came unstuck today. He spun multiple times before coming into the kitty litter, but somehow managed to spin between the walls. I'm not sure what was going on with the track but it seemed to get more slippery as the day went on.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:17 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

sorry to hear that Doug. all of us that have had an off of any type know the emotional roller coaster. Get planning the repair soon cos that will get you moving fwd again and not dwelling on the past.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:19 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feel for you Doug. Had a few "moments" on the track and I guess its all our fear that we'll have an off in our pride and joy. At the end of the day its "just a car" and can be repaired and a good time for touchups and changes. Thats what I did when I had my 993 painted after only a minor ding from my sons scooter. Its one of the reasons I sold the 964 Turbo as after a few tracks days I couldn't bring myself to having an off in it.

Anyway I how your not too sore tomorrow. Chin up
Old 08-03-2014, 03:26 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

Great to hear you're ok Doug. Was living the day vicariously through Mark H and he filled me in. Sounded like a very hairy day for all involved.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Was Neil and his GT3 ok? I can only imagine what was going through his mind (ground hog day!).

Are there any results from todays sprints to post?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug, my immediate thought was of your health, but I was still recording on the GoPro in a state of shock. When you are in the mood, if ever, I can show you the videos and photos. You had done a complete 360 when you hit the wall then unwound 90 degrees before hitting the tyre wall. It was almost the same spot that Neil came unstuck today. He spun multiple times before coming into the kitty litter, but somehow managed to spin between the walls. I'm not sure what was going on with the track but it seemed to get more slippery as the day went on.
Thanks John. I saw Neil's spin when I went to see the replay of mine. I wish I'd seen it after he had it. That would have sure slowed me down. I'm sure I hit pooling water which then aquaplaned me.

Originally Posted by gt38088
sorry to hear that Doug. all of us that have had an off of any type know the emotional roller coaster. Get planning the repair soon cos that will get you moving fwd again and not dwelling on the past.
Good advice Graeme. I googled 964 panels and freaked at the prices so stopped doing that straight away. Something for later maybe. Rather than walk away I think I'd like to try and make a project of some sort out of this. I don't suppose anyone's got a 964 in a barn somewhere that's been badly rear ended and has a rooted motor.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Feel for you Doug. Had a few "moments" on the track and I guess its all our fear that we'll have an off in our pride and joy. At the end of the day its "just a car" and can be repaired and a good time for touchups and changes. Thats what I did when I had my 993 painted after only a minor ding from my sons scooter. Its one of the reasons I sold the 964 Turbo as after a few tracks days I couldn't bring myself to having an off in it. Anyway I how your not too sore tomorrow. Chin up
Thanks mate.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:35 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Was Neil and his GT3 ok? I can only imagine what was going through his mind (ground hog day!).

Macca - the day was so wet the times are meaningless.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:35 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug -

Still really bummed to hear about the car and happy that we'll have chances to recollect with functioning limbs. Your mention of headache reminded me I had one off and on for a few days. Even with helmets, it's still a bit of a jiggle.

Of course there are the stages - anger, denial, bargaining, sadness & acceptance. Hopefully you'll skip some or only visit briefly.

What made it easier for me was knowing I couldn't possibly be supported by a better crew of fellow addicts than the ones here & in RSG. Keep that in mind.

Will see you soon.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

Yes, just a clean out of kitty litter. He was extremely lucky. I can't speak for the others but based on today I'm a non starter for any wet track days.

I was in Doug's group but had an off after the sweeper and following Neil's spin I decided to call it a day (getting the **** taken out of me for the state of Herman). That's how I came to be taking footage on the main straight. It was surreal when Doug had his off. At the initial stage of the spin he was coming straight for me. It's a sickening sound and sight watching a crash like that. Initially I was worried but Doug got out of the car fairly quickly.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2014, 03:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - the day was so wet the times are meaningless.
Fair call Paul.

Thanks John. Sounds like a mess all round. Im not sure why it has to be winter for such events. Even the hardcore track guys in the states on the GT3 board only track in summer. Maybe its not such a bad idea. The group has been incredibly lucky IMO over the last 18 months its been going - there has hardly been much more than a damp day or a sprinkle of rain and even then only for maybe 2 days out of probably 20+ track days. I guess the luck didnt hold. Its so much different in the wet....
Old 08-03-2014, 03:49 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^ Macca the summer time track rate is double (think $500 a head) and you can't hire the track as it's booked out with race series (bikes, TACCOC, GTNZ etc.) everyone goes there once a month so no spare days unless we booked week days.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug, it will probably take a while to assess the true damage. An extreme option maybe a re-body from a C2 tip. I'd be in for some weekends helping you with the ultimate project!
Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by integralenz
That damage looks very light, no issue if repaired well.
A good repair should not be able to be seen, pity that is usually not the case.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:58 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Not my best day today. Gutted at doing a lot of damage to Lola.

On the last run of the day it began raining again and It must have been the second or third round I guess when Lola began aquaplaning about 200m before the lights over the back straight. She began to turn to the right a little and I recovered, then she went the other way and there was no correcting. She spun and I just depressed the clutch and brakes and waited. After a 360 I hit the concrete wall on the RHS of the track, taking a pretty big hit on the front guard area. It was hard enough to snap the A arm. I then bounced off the wall spun a couple more times right across the corner before hitting the tyre wall just where the kitty litter started. The the left front took that impact. Like Chris said, it was like slow motion. Once I'd stopped I turned her off and checked that I wasn't hurt and gingerly got out so that everyone could see I was ok.

I've got a little pain in my upper back and a headache that comes and goes, but otherwise are completely unhurt. I expect to find some sore bits in 24 hours I should expect.

I had a chat with Chris M just to talk to him about it seeing he's gone through the same sort of thing. I've got to try and focus on the fact that I'm lucky to be unhurt rather than unlucky to inflict so much damage on my beloved car.

I was going to post some photos but can't bring myself to do it yet. Suffice to say front right wheel area, both front guards, bumper, oil cooler, drivers door, and a touch on the right rear guard. Left side and rear untouched apart from the left front guard. All the lights smashed. I think the bonnet is ok, but possibly on closer inspection may not quite turn out to be.

Lots of different emotions going on.

Grateful to Steve, Dan and Gary for moving Lola to Steve's garage for now. Thanks for the lift home Paul.
Never a nice experience but that is the risk of tracking a car I guess, just count yourself lucky you are ok.
I may be able to assist with parts since I'm backdating mine just don't know when exactly i'll be stripping it.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:12 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh crikey Doug that really sucks, take it easy.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?