Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
OCD did a better job from my point of view, and put up with a fair amount of nonsense from me - mainly being the fact they had to look after my car for weeks due to my cripple status and delays in my exhaust tips coming back from the painters. I'll definitely use them again.
Did they do a better job of the silver paint touch-ups??
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Their application of paint was better. But having experienced both, next time I'll do it myself. Will take me 10 X longer, but will allow me to be a bit more of a perfectionist than someone trying to fit it in to a budget/timeframe.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the Veyron I saw . Beautiful all in black. I had to run down the street like a little boy once I saw it getting my phone out and ready to take the picture . Must have looked like a **** but it was my first Veyron in the flesh and those who know me probably wouldn't have noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2015, 10:47 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

The lack of camera focus supports your statements! Am sure we'd all have behaved the same way.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:29 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Here is the Veyron I saw . Beautiful all in black. I had to run down the street like a little boy once I saw it getting my phone out and ready to take the picture ...
Fuzzy, but you can still make out the passenger's expression, thinking: "Is that guy pulling a gun on us???"

Good on you Neil!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:44 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Greaeme. I tried to get my 993 there in 2013 (Tour) but got such pathetic assistance for the shipping and organisation I gave up in disgust. Maybe its better if you are competitor. Jo and I would like to take the 993 to Australia for a road trip in 2018. Im not sure if anyone here is interested, but technically its not a bank breaker to get the cars there return. There are a couple of nice tracks including Philip Island Id like to drive too if possible...
Keep me posted Macca. I may be looking for some new black stuff to explore on by then and have trout about exploring more of Aussie in the past :-P
Old 11-11-2015, 02:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Keep me posted Macca. I may be looking for some new black stuff to explore on by then and have trout about exploring more of Aussie in the past :-P
We should do some think tanking on this over summer. Probably a couple years out but wouldn't hurt to find out what the logistics of getting cars over there involves etc. Could be a fun air cooled trip. Have to make sure the air con is functioning. Plenty of sights to see...
Old 11-11-2015, 03:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 370 Posts

We should do some think tanking on this over summer. Probably a couple years out but wouldn't hurt to find out what the logistics of getting cars over there involves etc. Could be a fun air cooled trip. Have to make sure the air con is functioning. Plenty of sights to see...
Having now driven the Queensland coast, Country Victoria and NSW, I no longer look forward to another drive there. They enforce the speed limit to 3km/hr and the roads I travelled were boringly straight and flat. They also have suicidal wildlife. Lots of wombats doing the dying blowfly.

My bucket list road trip in a Porsche would be Europe, or the US. Probably buying a car there and selling it on departure.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Having now driven the Queensland coast, Country Victoria and NSW, I no longer look forward to another drive there. They enforce the speed limit to 3km/hr and the roads I travelled were boringly straight and flat. They also have suicidal wildlife. Lots of wombats doing the dying blowfly.

My bucket list road trip in a Porsche would be Europe, or the US. Probably buying a car there and selling it on departure.
Cant deny some of what you say here John. Ive covered around 5000km on the road there last few years and its true many of the roads can be boring. But its the landscapes as they change would make great juxtaposition against the 911 and overall experience. Passing 15km of Termite mounds size of small cattle on the hinterlands Nthrn QLD in August point in case. Pacific Highway road (no police there for 1000km). Adelaide has some great roads. Plenty to see once you are off the beaten track. Not drivers roads most of them but travelling roads with lots of sights to be seen. Plan is still to hike the 993 to Europe for Vintage Rallys in 2018ish once she qualifies the 25 years rule but thought maybe a month in Australia on the way could make up nice juxtaposition. Ive done 12,000km in Europe in a variety of cars last 7-8 years and it definitely is bucket list stuff. I need to do a USA road trip...love to buy something interesting there to tour in then send it to NZ...some many things to do so little time!! 2016 is all fullup...2017?
Old 11-11-2015, 03:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Podium for Reeves & co in the GT3 at Tassi Targa Highlands last weekend...1st in category (Quinn in 650s in 2 or 3) and 2nd overall. Apparently its put the Sh*ts up some of the competitors as it was basically a stock car (fluid upgraded SRF, small changes to geo - -2.00 F+R) factory MPSC2 and only upgrades as such Akra exhaust + Halo seats. I think there will be at least 2 more joining the fray from what I hear in the next big Targa event. Good to see some often new Porsche metal bleeding into competition given so many lambos and Mclarens etc often steal the limelight...
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2015, 03:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Did they do a better job of the silver paint touch-ups??
I don't believe they match the paint properly IMO. If they did they would need to have the colour made up at a paint shop with a mixer using a system like Glasurit.

I keep meaning to try Final Touch to have a comparison. OCD have hiked their prices so the opportunity may arise...
Old 11-11-2015, 04:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 370 Posts

I suspect 2017 will be quiet after the Europe trip in 2016. Maybe 2018 or later.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't believe they match the paint properly IMO. If they did they would need to have the colour made up at a paint shop with a mixer using a system like Glasurit.

I keep meaning to try Final Touch to have a comparison. OCD have hiked their prices so the opportunity may arise...
How good where your touch-ups on the flat colour - did they 'fill' the or just artist bush with a bit of white??
Old 11-11-2015, 05:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
How good where your touch-ups on the flat colour - did they 'fill' the or just artist bush with a bit of white??
Just dobbed it on with a brush by the looks. Wasn't an exact match for the white either. Luckily there were only three I asked them to do and i went back and did them myself later using the correct paint from my touch up bottle. I dont think these guys specialize so much in this like Final Touch seem to do (or advertise). As Jake says its tio time consuming to do properly and outside of viable $$$$ remit Ive come to accept. Id rather spend the time to do myself now or hire a guy from a paint shop for the weekend to earn some extra coin. There was one guy at Hazler (Dale) who is just an artist with this stuff. He fixed a cut in my paint (done my the autotrimer) in a really tough spot. Layered the paint, let it garden between coats, built it us higher than surrounding paint then used a razor blade to graze it back and some cutting compound and polish to blend it. Ill show you next time I have the 933. You can see a small dimple like a wave in the paint where its been done but only if I show you. Amazing. Took him 2 hours to complete (on retro Aucklands tab as they did the damage). I was a fussy bugger back then.....
Old 11-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I suspect 2017 will be quiet after the Europe trip in 2016. Maybe 2018 or later.
Agree John. Thinking same thing....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?