mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Sam, I got as far as Bunnings, Super Cheap Auto and Mitre 10, but quickly worked out assembling the parts would take some time and things like the gauge would add up quickly in cost. Even then I wasn't sure which materials were brake fluid proof. Given the other costs are building up as well I took the easy route and have ordered a Motive power bleeder.

When that arrives I will start, one caliper at a time. I'm using Duplicolour Red Caliper spray paint, Duplicolour high temp clear and decals off Ebay. Apparently I need a long 100mm hex to get the rear calipers off. Dan is coming to the rescue there.

A lot of effort, but I love doing this type of thing. The only thing I was undecided on was sets of speed bleeders that don't allow air back into the lines. I'm not sure I need that with the Motive. Soon I will be bleeding brakes before each track day, like a pro

BTW Porsche Dot 4 fluid is $76 per litre. SRF doesn't look outrageous anymore.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:55 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
How to park a Go Kart
LOL Go the mini-Stig.

John, a couple more years of go-karting and just think how much easier it would be parking Herman...
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

Originally Posted by gt38088
I haven't been involved in the process but this from the organizer of the container from LA
prices for 4 tyres so far and he says incl gst
NZ$45: 1.7 cubic feet Alfa Guilietta: 205/50/15,
NZ$92: 3.4 cubic feet Toyota Prado: 265/65/17
NZ$105: 3.9 cubic feet Audi Q7, 275/45/20
Thanks Graeme, I've just ordered a set of tyres and they are on the way to the Rowing Club container at Mainfreight.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
Sam, I got as far as Bunnings, Super Cheap Auto and Mitre 10, but quickly worked out assembling the parts would take some time and things like the gauge would add up quickly in cost. Even then I wasn't sure which materials were brake fluid proof. Given the other costs are building up as well I took the easy route and have ordered a Motive power bleeder.

When that arrives I will start, one caliper at a time. I'm using Duplicolour Red Caliper spray paint, Duplicolour high temp clear and decals off Ebay. Apparently I need a long 100mm hex to get the rear calipers off. Dan is coming to the rescue there.

A lot of effort, but I love doing this type of thing. The only thing I was undecided on was sets of speed bleeders that don't allow air back into the lines. I'm not sure I need that with the Motive. Soon I will be bleeding brakes before each track day, like a pro

Yes add in your time and it makes the $150 or so for the Motive seem worthwhile. It looks like most of the upgrade parts everyone on here is buying is from overseas. Talk about voting with our feet. I now have an import code and a Fedex account.

So will you stick to the Dot 4 or replace with ATF or something else?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

I'm using Toyota TRD braking fluid http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...NFvG_ksucTRvXg
It has a high boiling point and the price isn't that bad sometimes $20
.5 l on trademe. Btw it is the same as the motul brake fluid.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Yes add in your time and it makes the $150 or so for the Motive seem worthwhile. It looks like most of the upgrade parts everyone on here is buying is from overseas. Talk about voting with our feet. I now have an import code and a Fedex account. So will you stick to the Dot 4 or replace with ATF or something else?
As it's for the Turbo 3.6 I bought the Porsche DOT4. CCS replaced my fluid 6 months ago and I figured I'd only need a small amount to bleed the calipers so I might as well keep it the same. I understand that you can mix DOT4 fluids but it's not worth the saving to me. It's only SRF that needs same fluid top ups.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ralf G
I'm using Toyota TRD braking fluid http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...NFvG_ksucTRvXg It has a high boiling point and the price isn't that bad sometimes $20 .5 l on trademe. Btw it is the same as the motul brake fluid.
Noted Ralf. I'm not sure the Porsche branded fluid is any better, but as noted above my car is already filled with it and I don't expect to use much.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
LOL Go the mini-Stig. John, a couple more years of go-karting and just think how much easier it would be parking Herman...
There's a similar manoeuvre with a 964 Turbo in a B grade movie. I forget the name of it.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks Graeme, I've just ordered a set of tyres and they are on the way to the Rowing Club container at Mainfreight.
Ralf, there's some serious savings there, I'm just not sure of some of the tyre qualities. The Z222 (RS3) look like they would be less than $900 landed GST inclusive. Tempting although Lola is going Z221.....
Old 07-28-2014, 03:12 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

Wink

Ralf, there's some serious savings there, I'm just not sure of some of the tyre qualities. The Z222 (RS3) look like they would be less than $900 landed GST inclusive. Tempting although Lola is going Z221.....
Yep, I know. But someone has to tell the boss at home. Haven't thought about the tyre quality shouldn't they come from the same factory?

Last edited by Ralf G; 07-28-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yep, I know. But someone has to tell the boss at home. Haven't thought about the tyre quality shouldn't the come from the same factory?
I actually meant the wide choice. It's difficult to choose without knowing how they perform as many of them are unknown to me.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:58 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep Murphy's law, I am looking at http://aimsolo.com.au/ at the moment. It seems to be a good price. It is around 510NZD. But I might get one in NZ. Who knows a NZ seller?
I assume it isn't really an item which comes up in trademe often?
Ralf - Motorsport Services is the local (Akl based) dealer. They're out at HD - bought mine there. If you can blag a windscreen mount, you're welcome to share mine this Sunday at the (wet) sprints.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
I haven't been involved in the process but this from the organizer of the container from LA prices for 4 tyres so far and he says incl gst NZ$45: 1.7 cubic feet Alfa Guilietta: 205/50/15, NZ$92: 3.4 cubic feet Toyota Prado: 265/65/17 NZ$105: 3.9 cubic feet Audi Q7, 275/45/20
I got confused for a minute until I figured the cubic feet measurements above must be per wheel. My Boxster S 18" wheels measured (in a stack) 2' x 2' x 4' tall, ie 16 cubic feet. At US$5 per cubic foot, 16x$5 = US $80 plus a donation.

Such a good deal.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just checking - what are you guys arranging for the freight from Wtgn to Akl for the stuff coming in by container? I'm keen to jump in on a set of tyres and possibly rims as well.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?