Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
The 911 Targa is unveiled. What do you think?

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/new...oit-motor-show

I wonder if it looks even better in the flesh and if this move will reinvigorate values of old 70's Targas?
Is that for real?? Kinda looks like a **** take! Very retro - almost looks photoshopped on. I reckon a big clash of very new and very old - not a melding of the two.

Is it April 1 already??
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Next order for SITT will be Pagid Yellows to try them. Nigel runs them on his 986.
Yellows are an enduro pad, so you get 12 months of track days and no squeal. Oranges are better and what the guys in Aussie run as their preferred track pad, but the benefit is negligible at my level when compared to no squeals on the road and 12 months of track days and road driving.

I was warned that Oranges chew disks - so be careful. Yellows give you 12-18 months of disks too. I understand oranges may only give you a season.........
Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Is that for real?? Kinda looks like a **** take! Very retro - almost looks photoshopped on. I reckon a big clash of very new and very old - not a melding of the two.

Is it April 1 already??
^^^^ x 2

Looks like a custom car??

I struggle with the market segment - why would you own one?? - coupes have sunroofs and cabs can be spec'ed with a hard-top??

Also the modern cab rag-top is far better quality and insulated compared to 20 years ago. with the exception of a plastic rear screen, the insulation and interior finish is 90% of a tin top.

Looking at the photos - I feel it exaggerates the length of the car and makes the 991 look BIG
Old 01-13-2014, 09:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
993 built from 964 parts bin.......... They share a lot of common parts, most of the part numbers on my car start with 964......
My engine casing on the 996TT has a 964 number as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yellows are an enduro pad, so you get 12 months of track days and no squeal. Oranges are better and what the guys in Aussie run as their preferred track pad, but the benefit is negligible at my level when compared to no squeals on the road and 12 months of track days and road driving.

I was warned that Oranges chew disks - so be careful. Yellows give you 12-18 months of disks too. I understand oranges may only give you a season.........
Yellows will squeal, they did on Chris B's 996T and my M3. Never did on my GT3, but I suspect that's because I didn't drive it off track enough to scrub the transfer material off.

I think you're better off with a more modern compound nowadays, the Yellows are decent but long in the tooth and you end up binning them when they're down to half thickness as they're pretty much done at that point. Go Performance Friction or Endless, or if you're sticking with Pagid then go with the RSL1 compound.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Is it April 1 already??
From the offical Porsche Youtube channel:

That movement is pretty cool.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^ Holy moly - just think of all the weight to make that happen.

Kinda cool though??
Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Seeing it from that angle - its crying out for some speedster like humps (then it would be the true b*****d child!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Project car for Chris B??

I assume it will sell for more than $25K??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-685298499.htm

Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pros and cons of squealing Pagid RS19/29 Yellow endurance pads

Originally Posted by mjg
Yellows will squeal, they did on Chris B's 996T and my M3. Never did on my GT3, but I suspect that's because I didn't drive it off track enough to scrub the transfer material off.
Yes, my RS19/29 yellows squeal often too but I've just decided to treat it as 'character'. The road-going OEM Pagid yellows as provided on the GT3s don't apparently.

As Matt said, there are likely better pads for pure track applications, but I see the RS yellows as a good compromise between performance and endurance on road and track. Maybe it's just because they're thicker for endurance but I was a bit disappointed to find they felt spongier, weaker and less linear than the worn OEM Textar/Pagid combo the car came with originally. They do stay consistent though and can be relied upon (when paired with SRF/Motul RBF fluid) to keep working properly lap after lap after lap. Great peace of mind on the upcoming Targa Tour day for instance. Since they have better cold performance than most race pads - and better than some street pads - I just leave them on.

Bedding these race pads in the first time was a major mission. Despite converting the recommended sprint-brake cycle speeds down to something a bit less sociopathic (slower but with a bigger speed spread to keep the same energies), my first attempt didn't heat them enough so I had to repeat it.

I have no problem taking the same rollercoaster three or four times running but the combination of watching the speedo and porpoising the car repeatedly at max Gs left me green around the gills for hours.

They are said to be kind on rotors and apparently the 19/29s endurance compound is compatible with Pagid's road compounds too which is handy for those like Chris who swap them in and out between trackdays and daily driving, with no real need to scrub rotors and re-bed each time.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they will offer the new Targa with the roll over bar in body colour and I will be interested to see what it looks like then.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Newbie question. Where do I find instructions on bedding in brakes? Is specific to each brand?

I need to fit new pads on Friday night and race on Saturday. I will have to find a place to do this. Maybe go out West
Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Yes, my RS19/29 yellows squeal often too but I've just decided to treat it as 'character'. The road-going OEM Pagid yellows as provided on the GT3s don't apparently.
I was running RS29s. What you're referring to are Pagid and yellow, but not Pagid Yellows (RS19/RS29). It'd be less confusing if everyone used the compound codes rather than colours, but oh well. The factory GT3 pads are Pagid P90 and don't last long on track (probably only 2 days) compared to RS29s, it's a sporty road compound.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
As Matt said, there are likely better pads for pure track applications, but I see the RS yellows as a good compromise between performance and endurance on road and track.
To be clear, I'm talking about using compounds that are designed for the same purposes as the RS29s but superior in many ways. There are certainly compounds that are superior for dedicated racing, but I'm not talking about those here.

Originally Posted by John McM
Newbie question. Where do I find instructions on bedding in brakes? Is specific to each brand?
The pads should come with them, and/or they'll be on the manufacturers website. With the more race oriented compounds, it's extremely difficult to bed them safely on the street, so best to do it on track during the first session(s). The HP2000s are sporty road compounds, so they should be fairly easy to bed. Instructions on p45: http://www.brembo.com/en/car/Racing/...gue%202011.pdf

One of the nice things about the Performance Friction pads is that they don't require bedding.

Edit: there's a bunch of useful brake whitepapers here for anyone curious: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...l-white-papers
Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Newbie question. Where do I find instructions on bedding in brakes? Is specific to each brand? I need to fit new pads on Friday night and race on Saturday. I will have to find a place to do this. Maybe go out West
Googled my own question. 100 km/hr to 50km/hr 30 times. Would have been good o know this after I installed my OEM pads
Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OT. Brotha in need of help/advice...

But does anyone have any inside skinny on dealing with a major car rental company (at Auyckland Airport) who are claiming we damaged the underside of their vehicle last week (we rented a car for my wife for 3 days she did 262km and didnt grind it out anywhere - the damage obviously existed before we took the car)?

After a perfect trip this car rental company saw fit to charge our card $3500 NZD (no waiver). Have been dealing with it all day - we take pictures of our cars date stamped and GPS when we pick them up and return them but obviously dont carry a portable hoist to inspect the under carriage.

This is the second time this has happened to us in 8 weeks - the first time the company admitted fault and refunded (still cost us transaction fees and FX as it was foreign currency). Both incidences at Auckland Airport International. This time however its more difficult to prove and we have a fight on our hands.

If anyone is connected to the industry or been through something similar would appreciate some advice (please PM me).

After a perfect trip to be left with a bitter taste in the mouth at the NZ end is not so good. Personally I believe there is a bit of a scam going on with these companies to drive additional revenue via claims (a google search shows its rife and Auckland Airport comes up a number of times). Be warned and also take the reduced excess - once you pay for that they probably leave you alone....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?