Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and since no one else has mentioned it yet!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...-1_964x637.jpg
Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sp1ked
Has anyone heard of this car? Licence plate was BME465. Could the km's be miles?
I just looked at a pic of the speedo, its in km's.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Is it just my imagination or is Black Beauty highlighting a few performance anxieties amongst the Gruppe?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Is it just my imagination or is Black Beauty highlighting a few performance anxieties amongst the Gruppe?
Its a sweet though John. maybe the slowest on track are really the fastest drivers and BB will tear away that cloak to reveal the truth? I think an Aldous Huxley line something like "when the doors of perception are cleansed etc etc etc" ...yada yada yada

I would not read too much into Chris comment earlier. For a guy whos been to HD maybe 2.5 times and survived a very scary incident that could quite easily have injured him significantly or worse I quite frankly see his POV. I would be wanting to get comfortable with that track again, new can and get that instructor - trying to get the best time out of BB would not be on my mind much either - and quite honestly in actual fact it isnt for me either - this is only my second go at HD (car and driver are significantly improved from my very first proper track day ever at HD in March 2013) and I very much looking forward to putting as many laps on my 993 as I can before what the forecast indicates is rain at mid day and towards the end of teh day Ill take my BB ride in pouring rain, 8 degrees weather ow whatever it looks like its supposed to be there!

Sounds bloody cold in NZ and I am not looking forward to it. First time Ive been to NZ in winter in 8 years - swore it would never happen again - damn cars!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Its a sweet though John. maybe the slowest on track are really the fastest drivers and BB will tear away that cloak to reveal the truth? I think an Aldous Huxley line something like "when the doors of perception are cleansed etc etc etc" ...yada yada yada

I would not read too much into Chris comment earlier. For a guy whos been to HD maybe 2.5 times and survived a very scary incident that could quite easily have injured him significantly or worse I quite frankly see his POV. I would be wanting to get comfortable with that track again, new can and get that instructor - trying to get the best time out of BB would not be on my mind much either - and quite honestly in actual fact it isnt for me either - this is only my second go at HD (car and driver are significantly improved from my very first proper track day ever at HD in March 2013) and I very much looking forward to putting as many laps on my 993 as I can before what the forecast indicates is rain at mid day and towards the end of teh day Ill take my BB ride in pouring rain, 8 degrees weather ow whatever it looks like its supposed to be there!

Sounds bloody cold in NZ and I am not looking forward to it. First time Ive been to NZ in winter in 8 years - swore it would never happen again - damn cars!

It wasn't cold when I left. As long as the Sun is there it feels more like 16C. Good for car performance.

As an aside, while I'm enjoying 23C here in Tonga, the Pacific Days are behind me. Too much privation. You can only eat so much Mahi Mahi and Pawpaw!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Does anyone have a good line on flat-top jacks similar to the ESCO units so popular on Rennlist? I have a sturdy set of axle jacks that don't really fit well. Might look to have them modified at a fabricator as an alternative.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...jack-stand.jpg
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Does anyone have a good line on flat-top jacks similar to the ESCO units so popular on Rennlist? I have a sturdy set of axle jacks that don't really fit well. Might look to have them modified at a fabricator as an alternative.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...jack-stand.jpg
In short, been there looked around and have found nothing. Double the Pelican price to get them to NZ. Should have put some in your container! I'm keen on a group buy if we can find an effective shipping option. In the meantime I use two race jacks and put a spare wheel under the car in case one lets loose.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It wasn't cold when I left. As long as the Sun is there it feels more like 16C. Good for car performance.

As an aside, while I'm enjoying 23C here in Tonga, the Pacific Days are behind me. Too much privation. You can only eat so much Mahi Mahi and Pawpaw!
25C here this morning but been very cold by Vanuatu standards (17-18C overnight here on the coast!). Im pretty sure Vanuatu would be like New York compared to Tonga (we have submarine cable now and 2 x 3G networks with 7 x ISP!). Everything is relative, but I cant help but feel alive existing in this place. Mind you helps I dont have to go to town often and that I spend 3-4 months of the year outside the country - would definitely go mad otherwise....

Looks like a cold snap this week in NZ. met shows over nights as low as 3-5C with daytime highs barely in single digits. Interestingly for "New GT3 Pickup" Re dux tomorrow conditions for the length of my visit look cooler than in Europe at the beginning of December when I picked the car up new last time LOL!

Cant wait for tomorrow....new toy again....all ready (just had full paint correction/polish by Precision to make it like new again) and waiting. I think the only airtime the old girl will see on this trip is at the track on 19th!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:38 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende View Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachmen...jack-stand.jpg
If anyone is going to spend any decent amount of time under a car on jack stands I am personally not keen on the safety aspect of this type of jack stand. You really need inserts welded into the sills of the car so that a stand bar can be inserted. It is then held in place not just balanced on top of the stand. check this out.
Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have a great time driving the toys Macca. Be like new all over again
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Absolutely agree with that -- or Porsche specific jack top with inserts that can lock into the jacking points. I've seen examples of some home brew stuff, akin to these or the attached pic.
DIY Stands

Biggest challenge in your pic looks to be making sure the ground is solid! What I really want is a personal, reasonable lift...
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:26 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Oh, and since no one else has mentioned it yet!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...-1_964x637.jpg
Was quite a stellar goal to win it wasn't it? Was a pretty nervous 120 minutes for me being a long time Germany fan and still recalling past late defeat pain. The stopage time after the original 90 is tough, any mistake and you can lose it all in a second.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
25C here this morning but been very cold by Vanuatu standards (17-18C overnight here on the coast!). Im pretty sure Vanuatu would be like New York compared to Tonga (we have submarine cable now and 2 x 3G networks with 7 x ISP!). Everything is relative, but I cant help but feel alive existing in this place. Mind you helps I dont have to go to town often and that I spend 3-4 months of the year outside the country - would definitely go mad otherwise....

Looks like a cold snap this week in NZ. met shows over nights as low as 3-5C with daytime highs barely in single digits. Interestingly for "New GT3 Pickup" Re dux tomorrow conditions for the length of my visit look cooler than in Europe at the beginning of December when I picked the car up new last time LOL!

Cant wait for tomorrow....new toy again....all ready (just had full paint correction/polish by Precision to make it like new again) and waiting. I think the only airtime the old girl will see on this trip is at the track on 19th!
Being a bit of a late comer here I don't have the full story here but I see a couple of members spend some time working in the islands, do you mind if I ask what you do up there? The economies of our neighbouring islands are a bit of an interest to me.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Burger!! - just been caught out with no 17/225 221's. Front LHS onto the cords - may be doing Saturday on Roadies.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Burger!! - just been caught out with no 17/225 221's. Front LHS onto the cords - may be doing Saturday on Roadies.
I have a front RHS 225/45 17 sitting in my garage. You are welcome to use/take it. Just run it backwards. I did that when I first put my current ones on the car, the World didn't end (just anticipating noise about dangers of stretching a tyre both ways).

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?