Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 09:31 AM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
Holy Shytte 495 hp base model!!

The video is better than the 3 photos you posted. Photowise; there's something about it that's kinda odd. Maybe partially in the rear end of the roofline--like there's almost something Chevy Malibu-ish.... like, it's the better looking twin w/ the other twin being the Malibu who doesn't get to be in the HS play, be nominated homecoming queen, or go out for modeling. Maybe it looks like a Chevy, where previous Vettes usually looked like Vettes.
Has a bit of R8 and Mustang styling in it.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

GPS based front end lift is such a simple and good idea. One of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas. So easy to implement too.
It may or may not have an ADM, depends on reviews and supply. It is the only 2020 model? If so then GM will make plenty as they are a volume producer. And if it lives up to the hype Porsche dealers may fvk off on ADMs.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
The only thing stopping me from going into a Chevy dealership to at least have a look is that there no manual option. I am not 34 - I wish and I think this will be my forever car so depreciation not a factor for me. I will be touring in this car and have always has convertible with the exception of my last Porsche. There is a lot to like about the new Vette - front end lift and lots of space,etc - trunk and frunk and finally the price. But corvettes have always depreciated rapidly over the years so if you wanted to get one a few years down the road it could be a very cheap option.

I think the GT4/Spyder are different cars compared to the C8. C8 has the latest technology- just look at how the electronics work in terms of programming. The GT4/Spyder is a much more analog experience that is why if I wanted PDK I would be cross shopping it with other ME street/track cars. As it is, I have asked this on other forums but yet to get an answer - please list the other brand options that offer a convertible ME manual at this price point. That is why my I will keep my deposit on the Spyder.
In terms of depreciation if you compare the depreciation of a Corvette versus a non-GT Porsche, there's not the huge depreciation difference that many think. Although there are exceptions, a typical Porsche is driven 4 - 5K miles a year, just take a look at the Porsche web site for verification, whereas the typical Corvette is a DD. So the mileage is more in the 10 - 12K miles a year. Compare the depreciation on 4 year old 911 and Corvettes with 50 K miles, and see what the depreciation difference is. No doubt that the 911 will have the percentage difference advantage, but look at the actual dollars lost and the Corvette will be the easy winner, not even close.

I no longer do my own maintenance. I neither have the time nor the inclination to do so. I'm getting sick of paying $300+ for oil changes, $1000+ for intermediate maintenance and $2000 for the 4 year major maintenance. A neighbor of mine has a Corvette and he told me that he has his car serviced at a dealership and his total maintenance charges for four years was a tad over $700. There's a Porsche dealer near me that charges $450 for the first year service which is nothing more than an oil change. So although I can afford the exorbitant maintenance prices, I don't like getting ripped off. There is a independent near me but his charges are only about 25% lower than dealership charges, and he doesn't provide a loaner.

So I won't make up my mind until I drive the C8, but I certainly won't be rushing off to a Porsche dealer to buy a GT4 with a $10K ADM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts
Default New mid engine Corvette

Anyone watch the reveal last night?
Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Anyone watch the reveal last night?
Thoughts?

Somebody must have gotten a great deal on Buttons. Performance for $$ is Killer.

Peter
Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Fox 3
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 390 Posts

No manual? Looks like it.

Reminds me of the NSX -- I see this as a much cheaper alternative, why would anyone buy an NSX now? All the more reason someone should produce a new modern sports car with a manual.

I don't really get buying a car for the track that is designed to be driven on the street at normal speeds. If you want a track car, buy something with all the safety features of a track car, such as what is found in the NASCAR or Indy cars, so you have a chance of survival if you hit a wall at 180 mph. To me driving this thing on the track without the safety features of a real race car is like flying a tactical jet without an ejection seat.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Dreyer (07-21-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Exterior looks decent.

Interior, no thank you.
Originally Posted by JB 911
i like but whoa thats a lot of buttons on the center console . might make the base model look a little lacking if its full of blanks.
hard telling what they all were, but my guess is that nearly all of it is standard equipment. Looks like HVAC, seat adjustment, etc.

maybe it's different actually sitting in it, but it looks awkward to use when driving.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Supposedly it’ll be faster than a 992 Carrera S while costing half as much as a typical build. It should have high quality interior materials offered too, bringing it closer to Porsche. It has very visually load, angular, busy, budget Ferrari slept with a C7 styling. It’ll probably be an attention grabber on the street, if that’s what one wants. The super wide centre console and cramped looking interior is not to my taste. But nevertheless, it’s likely double the performance per dollar compared to anything Porsche makes.

Which would you rather buy (spending your own money)?

I explained why I stuck to my 718 Spyder order in another thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...l#post15983528

In short, I justified it by preferring the smaller size, lighter weight, cleaner exterior, more space efficient interior, and manual transmission of the Spyder. Compared to the 718 Spyder, the 992 S is larger in every dimension, heavier, currently PDK only, and has scratch and fingerprint magnet piano black trim everywhere. The 992 still has a cleaner exterior design, and a more elegant and space efficient interior than the C8 vette though.

What is it about the 992 that makes you prefer it to the C8? Cleaner exterior styling? Less claustrophobic interior? Future manual transmission availability? The badge? The dealer experience? The rear engine handling? Rear seats? Something else?

Are these things worth paying double for comparable performance?
I’ve owned 5 911s and I’ve often done the math you’re suggesting above and cycled out of them every time I saw something new that seems to make more sense on paper. I’ve owned an RS7, Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, M6, etc. In short there’s no substitute for a 911 even if the economics favor other cars. There’s a balance, an agility, a feeling that is unmatched anywhere else. All these other players know what they’re competing with and so on paper others will look better, cheaper, faster, more practical but in sum, if it won’t hurt the financials, a Porsche is a Porsche and a 911 is unbeatable. I think their slogan used to be there’s no substitute, I don’t think that’s just fancy marketing; I believe it’s 100% true. Also the build quality on a Vette will never match a Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by TMA:
Senna01 (07-22-2019), Shap96 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 294 Posts

So the astronaut doctor liked StarTrek as a kid, cool....where's the car?

Mid engine 495hp NA V8 at 60k, yes please. More details needed though, will there be a MT option, what does it weigh...

I like the looks except the rear end.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

I like it. Even though it’s ME it’s still very corvette. Impressed with available cargo space. Still not sure on that interior layout. May love it in person who knows. Very intrigued for the Z variant.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Has Chevy just disrupted the sports car industry? I don’t think anyone at Acura slept well last night . I wouldn’t want to be an Acura NSX salesmen
The following users liked this post:
X2Board (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Apparently no MT
Old 07-19-2019, 10:13 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

On the whole I think it looks pretty good, in a Corvette way......I do see some Camaro in it, 'specially in back. Just what GM wants to hear, right?

Small detail but I don't like the Honda Civic plastic inserts in the rear.

Can't wait to see one on track, tho.....

Gary
Old 07-19-2019, 10:14 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

I think GM just hit a home run. Going to be interesting to see how it performs in the real world.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:18 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
Has Chevy just disrupted the sports car industry? I don’t think anyone at Acura slept well last night . I wouldn’t want to be an Acura NSX salesmen
Or a supra salesman, or any performance car over $100k salesman.
The supra being priced right around the same as this is just a no-brainer.... the Supra is nothing special this time around, costs the same, and has significantly less performance than a Corvette. I don't see anything else going for it

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?