Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

^^^ nice info ..

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/25/...#slide-2154382

Name:  photo390.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  910.2 KB
Old 08-26-2019, 12:24 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Saw these images over at corvetteforum

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...me-anyway.html
If this information is correct, those are some good performance numbers from a base car. Weight = 3535 lbs. 11.3 qtr mile. 1g lateral. Didn't like the braking distance though.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:07 PM
camaroz1985
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw one driving around during the weekend in Carlisle. Was a brown car with black wheels, yellow calipers. Looked great in person. I think the pictures make it look really long in the rear end, but in person it looked good. The kids and I look forward to seeing hundreds of them this weekend next year.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

https://www.motortrend.com/news/c8-c...m=&utm_source=
Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Caustic
If this information is correct, those are some good performance numbers from a base car. Weight = 3535 lbs. 11.3 qtr mile. 1g lateral. Didn't like the braking distance though.
I wonder what exactly that is. It doesn't sound like a magazine-test braking distance figure, seems way too far off. C7 had some of the best stopping distances.

Time will tell I suppose.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:22 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy
I wonder what exactly that is. It doesn't sound like a magazine-test braking distance figure, seems way too far off. C7 had some of the best stopping distances.

Time will tell I suppose.

I looked up the 2014 Stingray Z51 quote from Chevrolet and it was only one foot shorter than the distance quoted for the C8 Z51.
The following users liked this post:
Craigy (08-29-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T
I looked up the 2014 Stingray Z51 quote from Chevrolet and it was only one foot shorter than the distance quoted for the C8 Z51.
Hmm, 2017 Grand Sports bake 60-0 in 90 ft. Its one of the shortest stopping distances of any car out there. Is there that much of a difference between it and a '14 Stingray Z51?

EDIT
Ok, tires, carbon ceramics, and lighter weight will make the difference.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:43 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Bowling Green Assembly Plant Manager regarding the C8 pre-production

A bit of an insight on how the first pre-production C8 car was put togetherr, 3 weeks and close to 11,700 man-hours
Seems that the first pre-production car was put together over a year ago according to the video.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:30 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

There's no question that the C8 shows a lot of promise, but there's one issue that concerns me: build quality. To be fair it's been a long time since I owned a Corvette, but the one I owned had a couple of squeaks and rattles which the service department couldn't resolve. I know it's a trivial issue, but I just hate driving a car that squeaks or rattles. Maybe I've been lucky, but none of the Porsches I've owned ever had a rattle or squeak, even after 6 or 7 years of ownership. For example my nearly 7 year old 981S is as tight and rattle free as the day I bought it. So in my case I won't consider buying a C8 until I read a few magazine reviews and the experiences of owners on the Corvette forum, especially after the euphoria of the new ownership subsides.
The following 2 users liked this post by fast1:
CaymanCarver (08-30-2019), Surge74 (09-08-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 03:41 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 137 Posts

Having personally visited one of the events for the new Corvette, I have/had very mixed feelings. The car looks great from the nose to the bulkhead... after that it was a disaster. The rear of the car is higher than my C7 and MUCH wider (read as fat!). IMO The car needs to be 6-8” shorter and 6-8” lower rear deck height. The compromise to satisfy loyalist with a trunk, killed the car for me. Performance wise the car has the numbers (we need real world testing), Interior materials were as good as any but fell short in craftsmanship.

The doors are going to be an issue, they are very thick and with the door carrying part of the side scoop, it is going to be taking some damage on the “beak?” The thick door in my experience proved that you’ll need to have the door fully open to exit. Maybe they are hiding vertical hinged doors we don’t know about

The Climate control buttons are great... for the driver! From the passengers seat, I could not rest my left arm on the center without interfering with the controls. Best for the passenger to keep their hands in their lap.

It’s close... just not there! I still have my pre-order but don’t plan on proceeding. I’ll give it a couple years to work out the kinks, and my guess is the second year of C8 will see refinements to the interior layout, doors girth and hopefully the fata$$. Considering all the specs, it looks to be a performer and does have great potential.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:10 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,250 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
Having personally visited one of the events for the new Corvette, I have/had very mixed feelings. The car looks great from the nose to the bulkhead... after that it was a disaster. The rear of the car is higher than my C7 and MUCH wider (read as fat!). IMO The car needs to be 6-8” shorter and 6-8” lower rear deck height. The compromise to satisfy loyalist with a trunk, killed the car for me. Performance wise the car has the numbers (we need real world testing), Interior materials were as good as any but fell short in craftsmanship.

The doors are going to be an issue, they are very thick and with the door carrying part of the side scoop, it is going to be taking some damage on the “beak?” The thick door in my experience proved that you’ll need to have the door fully open to exit. Maybe they are hiding vertical hinged doors we don’t know about

The Climate control buttons are great... for the driver! From the passengers seat, I could not rest my left arm on the center without interfering with the controls. Best for the passenger to keep their hands in their lap.

It’s close... just not there! I still have my pre-order but don’t plan on proceeding. I’ll give it a couple years to work out the kinks, and my guess is the second year of C8 will see refinements to the interior layout, doors girth and hopefully the fata$$. Considering all the specs, it looks to be a performer and does have great potential.
Size is an issue with me, that's where the 718 shines through.

Fat ***, thick doors spells garage trouble for the average buyer.

I prefer small tight snug German fare vs thick fat American alternatives.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

is it really that much bigger in person than a 992? thats the comparison that matters not cayman. the 4 cyl 718 motor is a deal breaker vs vette
Old 08-30-2019, 07:01 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy

I'd say zero chance of any of those changes you'd like to see anytime in the next 3-5 years.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (09-01-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:05 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
is it really that much bigger in person than a 992? thats the comparison that matters not cayman. the 4 cyl 718 motor is a deal breaker vs vette
Depending on the angle of photos, the rear looks fine. But standing around it, you get a feel for how un-necessarily large it is. Wide rear ends are good on the right body (cars and people), but they need to visually work together as one. I try to keep an open mind and see different perspectives, so I wonder if no wing on the base C8 with the right color could change my mind? But need to personally see it, I don't trust photos to present a proper perspective!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I'd say zero chance of any of those changes you'd like to see anytime in the next 3-5 years.
Yea... The parts are probably already committed for the next few years. Just wishful thinking I guess!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?