Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:21 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
It would only be missing the vroom-vroom sounds
They could always re-program one of these...

Old 07-10-2019, 03:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
Al Oppenheiser, the GM engineer who designed the last two generations, has moved over to the electric side of the house. The mid-2020's might see an all electric Camaro. Strange times.
Sure, but doesn't Porsche basically aim to do exactly the same,
to begin phasing out the large displacement engines?
I'm not up on the news, but are hybrid Boxsters & Caymans with 4 or fewer cylinders coming?
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/23/...ybrid-phev-ev/
Mods, we're getting the Vette unveiling in the next few days,
so, please add 4th, 'generally, i don't like it....' category for the casual poll.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by AZWCat
Kinda.. AP is just saying 10+ seconds faster than the 981 GT4. That puts it at 7:30 or better. That's right about on par with the C7 Grand Sport's unofficial time of 7:27.
In the latest Christophorus, they announced the Ring time for the 718 GT4 as 12 seconds faster than before at 7:28
Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

The C7 Grandsport seems to be a hell of a car. Equal to a 991.1 GT3 and GT3 RS, at least according to lightning lap tests, and fast laps at Hockenheim short. So that's pretty impressive, especially when you consider it provides the same track "time" performance at 40% of the cost. A fellow Porsche Club buddy has a 17 GS that he has run for the past 2 years, pretty much nothing but track miles without issue. Kind of hard to objectively diss the Vette, at least the GS. For what its worth I am on my 12th P-Car, having traded my 16 RS for a 19 GT3, but am not ashamed to give props when due. Competition betters the breed!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Own Goal
I stayed down in 125 and 250cc class. I had a 360 Montesa Capra bought of a buddy after he locked it up. Thank god it had a real long wheelbase. I get the better rider deal. Buddy's little brother could beat most on his dang little 100 Hodaka! Got sponsored and chased a national number. Raced against Kid and Poovey and did well. Then women. Done. I digress. New Corvette. Like to see it and take a look. I'll just stick with my 911 till can't get in and out. Kirk is younger. GT4 was designed for him.

I somewhat envy you guys who have a hankering for a new hot rod........ I just do not feel it any more....... reached a point where a NICE car is simply a comfortable appliance to me.........

Mebbe I will go blow a wad on a new pickem up truck with all the toys......... but that is about it.

my Carerra 4 is 20 years old and truth is I like looking at it more than I actually like driving it. Haven't been on the Harley in 4 years and don't have a hankering to, any more.

When I was a young punk I had vets, a '72 soft top and '60 I never got put back together......... I was a rabid fan at that time, then cam the rug rats.....
Old 07-10-2019, 08:12 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

For the money they are a performance bargain, but boy I'd never buy the new mid engine car in the first year, especially with all their teething problems!!! And the fact it looks like a cross between a Camaro and a Honda Civic...

If I had a Corvette, it would be a small block solid lifter Sting Ray, just like the one my dad's office nurse had when I was in high school!!!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:51 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I stayed down in 125 and 250cc class. I had a 360 Montesa Capra bought of a buddy after he locked it up. Thank god it had a real long wheelbase. I get the better rider deal. Buddy's little brother could beat most on his dang little 100 Hodaka! Got sponsored and chased a national number. Raced against Kid and Poovey and did well. Then women. Done. I digress. New Corvette. Like to see it and take a look. I'll just stick with my 911 till can't get in and out. Kirk is younger. GT4 was designed for him.
I went looking for 981s like my Cayman S. I think my S might have been the only one with every Porsche option save for ventilated seats for some reason. It must have been forgotten when the dealer originally speced the car.

I tell you what I did see though. I think most ALL of the Cayman GT4s built are for sale now. Or have been before. Literally there are 100 GT4s to pick from on Auto Trader alone. Not that Id buy one from any of those places, or from Auto Trader, I just found it well ,,,, interesting. It didn't look anyone much drove the wheels of them. As I said I would just get a new one if that was the way I was going. Get it and have it flooded well that stinks. But get it and drive it a few miles and try to flip it - nah that aint me and it aint happening in a transaction I'm in neither.

One thing I REALLY like is when Porsche makes something like the new GT4 that and it isn't some mark up deal, or have to have a voucher, or some limited production model so you have to worm in to one. No, when they are open and you can drive over and order what you want they are on the top of my list ( as long as it is not some damn 4 cylinder ) !
Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

IF I had a Corvette it would be a 65-67 coupe with a new 6 speed and LS. Lots of other underneath upgrades = resto rod. We have like a neighbor hood car show out my back door a couple of miles every October in Westlake. Guy had a '60 Vette in yellow with a black interior with yellow stitching. Then I started looking more. Big red "Corvette" brakes, LS under the hood. Guy was watching me as I got down and half way crawled under it. He was smiling at me when I came up. So, custom frame, rack and pinion coil overs, late model Vette IRS. So I asked what did this little project cost? " don't want to say. I loved the old Corvettes but wanted a new one underneath".

As for lust, I'm happy right were I am Gretch. I only take it out on nice days when the mood hits me. 90% of my driving is my new F150 crew cab. Got it optioned just the way I wanted it. It fits us old guys real well. I give Kirk a hard time but he got a new pick'em up last year too. Down our way nice trucks just do the job.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

I'm trying to figure out the garage addition. You have a real nice garage last time I was down!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:05 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I'm trying to figure out the garage addition. You have a real nice garage last time I was down!
It is back nicer again so we will scheme some next month if you aren't up in the mountain air escaping the dry heat .
Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 PM
polecat702
Vegas, Baby!
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 162 Posts

When the Vette debuts in Vegas, the Polecat will make an appearance at the dealer. We'll see if it measures up, but I doubt it. I'll spend that kind of money on my shark, and am looking at a Lambo Jalpa.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:23 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,151 Likes on 466 Posts

Obviously the Corvette is the bargain basement track car, however I have to disagree massively with the post above that said Vettes are running all day at DEs while Porsches are broken down. In my experience it is far the opposite. However, the C8 will no doubt obliterate the Gt4 in lap times - more power, more tire, and quicker auto trans; I just don't see these cars as being cross shopped.

Also, a bare bones GT4 will set one back near $107k simply by choosing a free color and adding Carbon Full Buckets.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:29 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Here is THE DEAL: IF the new Corvette passes muster with Joe.....I'll go check one out. Not saying ready to part with Ms.911 but willing to get curious anyhow.
As for that "dry heat" comment, only Texas guys can say that.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polecat702
When the Vette debuts in Vegas, the Polecat will make an appearance at the dealer. We'll see if it measures up, but I doubt it. I'll spend that kind of money on my shark, and am looking at a Lambo Jalpa.
The Vette is about 8 days away , , , Im thinking they want to get them seen in LV right away
Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1
Corvettes have always been a tremendous bang/buck performance-wise and on paper, but a 20min drive was all it took for me to choose my first Porsche (new Boxster S) vs a new Corvette with almost 2x the HP in 2006, and the rest is history. It wasn't even close. In terms of driving feeer than any Corvette out there for the same $ regardless of HP or "performance"l bang/buck today, any 986, 996, 987, and 997 is far bett. Would love it if the C8 significantly improved this equation in Corvette's favor, but it would have to be achieved by much more than sheer (700) HP to get my attention.
Let's see if I understand what you are posting. Are you saying that a 10 year old 997 is superior to a 2019 C7? Since you posted for the same dollar, I have to compare used Porsche 997s to new Corvettes. Or if you want to go new to new, it would be base 718s to C7s or moderatley equipped 718Ss to Corvette Z06s. If you go to the kerbeck link you'll see lots of new Corvettes for under $50K, and some new Z06s for around $70K. I attached the link to Porsche USA for 911s in that price range.

Bottom line is that even without seeing the 718 GT4 or C8, there's a virtual certainty that I'll prefer the GT4, but it's likely (speculating on C8's price) that the price difference between both cars will be around $30K when the base prices are compared, and more when well equipped versions of each car are compared. But the base C8 will not likely interest me. The car that I'd love to test drive on some track like Watkins Glen will be the Z06 version of the C8 which is projected to cost under $100K, but will not be available until 2021. In my case things like the quality of the plastics or leather or cup holders or the plastic and leather aromas have little interest to me. What does interest me is how fast the car is on the track and of course reliability. Cars that can only run a couple fast laps before over-heating don't interest me. So I'm eagerly waiting for the reviews of both car magazines and of the GT4 and C8 owners.

https://kerbeck.com/new-corvette-inventory/
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...ear_range=2012
The following users liked this post:
Chester7 (07-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?