Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

the center stripe really helps the look, i think it looks great, will be an amazing car, seems larger inside, the c7 was terrible for tall guys, my head was smashed, would be a great second car to have
Old 07-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The sweet spot here will be when the Grand Sport releases with the Z06 body style + NA motor + manual transmission. Furthermore, on the used market (when they get there), these will be a bargain.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sunny_M3:
FogCitySF (07-20-2019), Vintage72 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:06 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 355 Posts

ok deposit given, #1 at local chevy dealer, msrp, missed that V8 cross-plane rumble...
The following users liked this post:
never enuf (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:10 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

Good job GM! Looks good so far, really want to see one in person. Amazed at the starting price - they should sell a ton of these. Competition improves everything, so Porsche fans should be happy here. The DCT is built by Tremec, car weighs ~3500 lbs wet, carbon fiber used strategically in the structure, lots of manufacturing innovation in the heavy use of aluminum in the chassis design. A DOHC turbo high-end engine is rumored to be in the works, and also maybe a performance hybrid variant (rumors of >1000 total HP but who knows). I would not be surprised if the top performance spec posts 918 like numbers at a fraction of the price.

Imagine if instead of Corvette this came from a brand like Alfa, Lotus, or even Ferrari. Would the naysayers still be saying the same thing? People are quick to highlight the downsides of a plebeian brand like Chevy but look at all the positives - huge economies of scale, parts and service cost at 10% of a true exotic, huge aftermarket support, sales and service everywhere. I think a person would really have to have brand blinders on to not give this a look if considering a new sports car.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by CarAholic
While I agree that the 981 was a steal and cheaper to own then the vets. I do not see the same happening for the 718. The price increase and multiple year production will not help future values. As a percentage basis I still think the vett will lose more vs the Gt4 but overall money loss I think will be close to the same. Not that it's a reason to own a car or not but I see any easy 20k loss with either vehicle for a two year ownership.
You're probably right, and both cars will likely depreciate about the same dollar amount (even though in terms of percentage it is double). So for those waiting to get in to a 718 GT4 it might be worth considering the C8, as it takes a lot less money upfront, but don't be fooled by the "cheap" initial price, it will cost you about the same to own.

Bottom line, we all could have bought a C7 Z06 instead of a 981 GT4 already, since it was already significantly cheaper and faster than the GT4. So why didn't we do so? The real question here is, does the C8 change any of that? I suppose for some it could, now that it is a mid engine car and looks more Italian in styling. For me, I don't think it does.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
Huh? Wha? ...Psssh? ....how many under $100K 500 hp mid engine sports cars are you aware of? Yeah its a budget super car no matter how much you hope its not true. Chevy engineers really do great job creating budget performance. This car is definitely in super car realm . And that is without high performance model that is liekly to be released later in production.
A super car is not just HP and price mate... I believe we can all agree on that. Nowadays it seems like anything with a lot of HP is considered a supercar.

We do not know anything about overall performance, handling, materials, top speed, braking, etc. For that price I doubt exotic material bits will be present (although I can see some carbon fiber skins in the engine bay), or carbon ceramic brakes, or titanium exhaust, etc... I also think it will not be an exclusive car. If all that is present for less than $60k then it is a bargain. I doubt a model with Z51 package will be less than $80k. We just don't know yet. I will stand corrected when the final figures come out and can compare with real supercars, the new DCT could be absolute garbage, or could be the new benchmark leaving behind the PDK or VW's amazing DSG.

In the meantime I believe it looks outdated, they are still using fiberglass, the back looks messy and the interior doesn't look inviting at all... Sort of Tesla-ish with that huge tablet in the middle.

I don't hate it, I just don't like it. I applaud Chevrolet for catching up to competitors.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
ok deposit given, #1 at local chevy dealer, msrp, missed that V8 cross-plane rumble...
They aren’t wanting to charge premiums? Happily giving st msrp?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:14 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by SeeForce:
96redLT4 (07-20-2019), PJ Cayenne (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:16 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
They aren’t wanting to charge premiums? Happily giving st msrp?
yes $2k deposit, msrp, still have time to change config, straight shooter, got both my '17 SS and ZL1 from same, SS at great discount and ZL1 at $1.5k below
quite different story when I was asking other dealers about ZL1 at the time, many were asking ADM etc. Same with GT350, many wanted ADM but found a nice dealer in the countryside that was mostly a truck place and wanted to move the Shelby off the floor to bring in raptor... there are many solid dealers, you have to shop around.. I think Chevy will want to move these and produce volume, time will tell. BTW, N/A SS in LT1 was a much sweeter engine to wind than the more powerful supercharged LT5 in ZL1 so combo of LT2 and quick shifting DSC 8-spd should hit the spot. Also the active exhaust in both SS and ZL1 sounded awesome in its various modes with honest pops, burbles and crackles, not manufactured predictable fake sounds as in 991.1 and .2 sports exhaust (sad to say)...
Old 07-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma

Imagine if instead of Corvette this came from a brand like Alfa, Lotus, or even Ferrari. Would the naysayers still be saying the same thing? People are quick to highlight the downsides of a plebeian brand like Chevy but look at all the positives - huge economies of scale, parts and service cost at 10% of a true exotic, huge aftermarket support, sales and service everywhere. I think a person would really have to have brand blinders on to not give this a look if considering a new sports car.
Yes and no... I think your question has a complex answer. I believe the Ferrari 488 interior is outdated at this point, it just looks tired. The manettino dial needs to go away, or at least get a redesign. Ferrari (and Porsche) usually improves upon the previous platform, so for this time around we cannot compare any of those with the all new C8 platform, it would be unfair to Chevy. The same could be said for other brands.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts

As Joe Biden would say... this is a BFD.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:23 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Production starts October, first deliveries in December.
Lets hope the design wasn't rushed and build quality is good. GM needs this to be their halo car.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:25 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I love my 991 turbo but I am interested. The ability to carry something (golf clubs) in the rear trunk is very attractive to me as that is the one thing that is hard to do in my TT. The McLaren GT is also interesting for this reason - though I worry about the usual issues with McLarens.

I'm going to wait until the C8 has been out for a couple of years - I suspect that there will be significant teething problems with the new platform. Hopefully by then there will be a Z06 version as well.

Not sure what a Chevy dealership experience will be (low expectations) but then again going to my P-car dealer is not always a hassle free experience.
Shap96 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:29 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by p997s123
Just got on the “list” at my local Chevy dealer. They added some things to configurator today. Prices to be added mid August. First deliveries Q1 2020.
were you promised a slot at MSRP? This will be interesting to watch..........
Old 07-20-2019, 01:30 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Supposedly it’ll be faster than a 992 Carrera S while costing half as much as a typical build. It should have high quality interior materials offered too, bringing it closer to Porsche. It has very visually loud, angular, busy, budget Ferrari slept with a C7 styling. It’ll probably be an attention grabber on the street, if that’s what one wants. The super wide centre console and cramped looking interior is not to my taste. But nevertheless, it’s likely double the performance per dollar compared to anything Porsche makes.

Which would you rather buy (spending your own money)?

I explained why I stuck to my 718 Spyder order in another thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...l#post15983528

In short, I justified it by preferring the smaller size, lighter weight, cleaner exterior, more space efficient interior, and manual transmission of the Spyder. Compared to the 718 Spyder, the 992 S is larger in every dimension, heavier, currently PDK only, and has scratch and fingerprint magnet piano black trim everywhere. The 992 still has a cleaner exterior design, and a more elegant and space efficient interior than the C8 vette though.

What is it about the 992 that makes you prefer it to the C8? Cleaner exterior styling? Less claustrophobic interior? Future manual transmission availability? The badge? The dealer experience? The rear engine handling? Rear seats? Something else?

Are these things worth paying double for comparable performance?
HARD PASS on the C8
Patriot (07-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?