Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 04:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
There are many reasons for the great interest in this car and this thread.

First of all most of us are car guys here, many have tracked alongside the other brand, many like you and I have owned both brands, and most others have at least cross shopped both brands.

Plus I'd bet that if the 911 switched to a front engine architecture it would elicit a similar response in other brand car forums.

I don't know how well this car is going to sell (personally I find the design somewhat clumsy and ungainly in its base form), it will really come down to how many older customers they lose vs how many younger customers they gain. It will also depend on whether they really got it together with this new architecture cause nothin will destroy sales faster than a car that every day you hear of another issue and/or recall. What I do know is that if they do get it together it will eat away at Porsche sales, and that's another reason for the interest here. Porsche has been raising their prices very aggressively across their product line and the base 992 is now $113k. I don't know where the threshold is where a critical mass of potential customers that can afford both cars says 'I prefer the brand image/association and superior build quality but not at that much of a price difference' ... undoubtably if the C8 performs well on the road and isn't plagued with issues it will negatively affect a 911 sales market which is already softening on its own.
Porsches have always been expensive, but IMO they are now reaching the obscene level. My first Porsche was a 1970 911E which cost me a little over $7K or a little over $44K in 2019 dollars. Although I'm fortunate enough to have enough money to easily afford most new Porsches, I still don't like getting ripped off. As a many decade owner of 911s, I'm long past the time were logos mean much to me. So I'm getting less and less willing to pay the "Porsche premium", especially since that premium has gotten so high, and I am now open to other brands.
The following 2 users liked this post by fast1:
GT3FZS (08-05-2019), porschedood5000 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
There are many reasons for the great interest in this car and this thread.

First of all most of us are car guys here, many have tracked alongside the other brand, many like you and I have owned both brands, and most others have at least cross shopped both brands.

Plus I'd bet that if the 911 switched to a front engine architecture it would elicit a similar response in other brand car forums.

I don't know how well this car is going to sell (personally I find the design somewhat clumsy and ungainly in its base form), it will really come down to how many older customers they lose vs how many younger customers they gain. It will also depend on whether they really got it together with this new architecture cause nothin will destroy sales faster than a car that every day you hear of another issue and/or recall. What I do know is that if they do get it together it will eat away at Porsche sales, and that's another reason for the interest here. Porsche has been raising their prices very aggressively across their product line and the base 992 is now $113k. I don't know where the threshold is where a critical mass of potential customers that can afford both cars says 'I prefer the brand image/association and superior build quality but not at that much of a price difference' ... undoubtably if the C8 performs well on the road and isn't plagued with issues it will negatively affect a 911 sales market which is already softening on its own.
I'm not sure about that, especially the highlighted part.

These cars, the C8 and Porsches (911s or GT versions) are generally aspirational purchases.

In fact, I would say that the best thing Porsche could do to stem the tide of potential customers fleeing to Chevy for the C8 is to actually raise prices of the 911 (and the GT line), which they've already done. With aspirational purchases and luxury goods in general, the higher the price the more seemingly "better" and more "precious" and "desirable" than the same thing would be if it was priced lower.

And lets be honest, the C7 GS or Z06 was an ***-kicker when it came to performance vis-a-vis price, and was generally comparable to a 911 GT3/RS in terms of performance. The C7 GS or Z06 never really made a significant dent in 911 or GT car sales.

Cuz, no one really walks out of a Porsche dealership and says, "That GT3 was great, a bit pricey, so maybe we go to the Chevy dealer and check out the Vette!" Just does not happen.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:01 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Who's salty? I merged and moved them, we do this kind of thing all the time. It doesn't take a PHD to understand why a thread about Corvette's doesn't stay in the Boxster technical forum.

Plenty of people are finding the now long running merged thread just fine. Not very well "hidden" if you ask me. Hiding this thread would have been moving it to Off Topic where unpaid members do not have access to.

For the record I grew up on the Corvette side of the car world and I still frequent it from time to time. This has nothing to do with "hiding" Corvette chatter from the Porsche car masses.

Of all the things to get one undies in a knot about, this is pretty hilarious.
I found this thread, merged. Quite useful. Kidding

Old 07-24-2019, 05:13 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
With aspirational purchases and luxury goods in general, the higher the price the more seemingly "better" and more "precious" and "desirable" than the same thing would be if it was priced lower.
Unfortunately, I think you are correct.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
With aspirational purchases and luxury goods in general, the higher the price the more seemingly "better" and more "precious" and "desirable" than the same thing would be if it was priced lower.
Veblen goods
Veblen goods are types of luxury goods for which the quantity demanded increases as the price increases, an apparent contradiction of the law of demand, resulting in an upward-sloping demand curve. A higher price may make a product desirable as a status symbol in the practices of conspicuous consumption and conspicuous leisure. A product may be a Veblen good because it is a positional good, something few others can own.

Veblen goods are named after American economist Thorstein Veblen, who first identified conspicuous consumption as a mode of status-seeking in The Theory of the Leisure Class (1899).[1] A corollary of the Veblen effect is that lowering the price decreases the quantity demanded.[2]

Old 07-24-2019, 05:35 PM
JustSlummin'
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You "trolled" me right in!

Originally Posted by billh1963
Wait a minute...let's get the stereotype right . An older white Southerner would be in a C3 or maybe a C4.with Cragar wheels on it. His poorer relations would be parked around the trailer in their late '70's Camaro or Fox body Mustang

A C5 through C6 (maybe even 7) would have an older Guido from Jersey talking with a thick accent saying "fvck" every other word while stroking his gold chains and rubbing his slicked back greasy hair
I belong to the largest Corvette club on Long Island and am also a PCA member. The demographic of the C-club members lean more towards, police, fire, education,civil service and small business owners. Along with their beloved C-cars, many drive other brands, domestic and "foreign". We are a far cry from your stereotype.
Somehow, I think that you are just wanting to be uniformed for a laugh (not funny). If you are the least bit serious, then you should get out more!
This is RENNLIST, for F..K sake, so mind your manners. OOWWWW...Did I just say F..K???
Waddaya' want from an Eytalian from the Boroughs Z06 owner???
PS.......I bet you were not serious, based on your Avatar...nice wheels!

Just sayin'

Last edited by JustSlummin'; 07-24-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: just adding to the conversation
Old 07-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

The C8 bears a very strong family resemblance to the current (2016) Camaro. Since the introduction of the current Camaro, sales have tanked by over 50% from the previous (2015) generation, to the point that the Camaro is being discontinued in 2021. I'm sure the C8 design has been determined for several years, but it's too bad they didn't come up with something cleaner.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:26 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 895 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
The C8 bears a very strong family resemblance to the current (2016) Camaro. Since the introduction of the current Camaro, sales have tanked by over 50% from the previous (2015) generation, to the point that the Camaro is being discontinued in 2021. I'm sure the C8 design has been determined for several years, but it's too bad they didn't come up with something cleaner.
It has less family resemblance than a 911 and a Cayenne.... I don't see any camaro besides the taillights

I just don't see much Camaro in this low slung wide body C8.....looks pretty clean to me
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal-NSX:
GT3FZS (08-05-2019), porschedood5000 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I just don't see much Camaro in this low slung wide body C8.....looks pretty clean to me
There's a reason why 99% of the C8 photos people are posting are side or front-quarter profiles. The back end blows goats.

But you can't have it all, at least not at this price, and it could have been a lot worse. I think Corvette customers understand that. They've learned to count their blessings, which are considerable.
The following users liked this post:
porschedood5000 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 07:03 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by JustSlummin'
I belong to the largest Corvette club on Long Island and am also a PCA member. The demographic of the C-club members lean more towards, police, fire, education,civil service and small business owners. Along with their beloved C-cars, many drive other brands, domestic and "foreign". We are a far cry from your stereotype.
Somehow, I think that you are just wanting to be uniformed for a laugh (not funny). If you are the least bit serious, then you should get out more!
This is RENNLIST, for F..K sake, so mind your manners. OOWWWW...Did I just say F..K???
Waddaya' want from an Eytalian from the Boroughs Z06 owner???
PS.......I bet you were not serious, based on your Avatar...nice wheels!

Just sayin'
I'm not serious. I just sold my '17 C7 3LT A8 and ordered (last week) a 2019 C7 2LT Z51 7M

And yes, I do own Porsche's. My current stable includes '72 911T MFI, 76 911S, 72 914 (6 conversion), 74 914 LE "Bumblebee", 74 914 2.0, 75 914 2056, 99 996 and 01 986. But, I obviously like Corvettes as well,

I figure if we are going to stereotype then lets go all the way!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by JustSlummin'
I belong to the largest Corvette club on Long Island and am also a PCA member.
Smithtown in da house!
Old 07-24-2019, 08:24 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 895 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
There's a reason why 99% of the C8 photos people are posting are side or front-quarter profiles. The back end blows goats.

But you can't have it all, at least not at this price, and it could have been a lot worse. I think Corvette customers understand that. They've learned to count their blessings, which are considerable.
I don't think it's that bad....better than the Huracan rear end and that's one of my favorite cars ever.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:25 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

The new Corvette is a very clean design.

The Mustang tanked Camaro sales it's as simple as that. They probably should have made the car a bit easier to see out of - not that it bothered me any - but "girls" ain't going to buy that. Girls fathers either. So that chunk of potential buyers went to Mustangs. Mustang had the price advantage and that was that. And without other cars on the Alpha platform it spelled the end for Camaro.

The Corvette ain't no Camaro in any regard. It gets its own platform. Why? It is a Corvette thats why.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 PM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
It has less family resemblance than a 911 and a Cayenne.... I don't see any camaro besides the taillights

The wing is a $3,700 option, no thanks
Old 07-24-2019, 09:42 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

How do you know the pricing of the wing? I thought the options list and pricing hasn't been announced?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?