Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Oh, it's plenty. But max isn't until 1750ish. And it kind of goes against what you've heard/posted about moving the torque band up to 1700.

But I agree that these things have the roll on power of a vintage 80s diesel Mercedes 300E!

I will be interesting to eventually see a post tune dyno trace.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
I think it's worse than that. I had originally thought it was just the low speed roll-on power. Yesterday, I drove up to Whistler and going through Vancouver with traffic at ~100kph/60mph, lane changes were... exciting, trying to time that 2-3 second power onset. And heading up the Sea to Sky highway, when I'd get to the passing lane sections, rolling on power at ~80kph, it would take a few seconds to build up a head of steam. No sudden lockup and kick in the butt, but the instant power just wasn't there like it should be. In turbine engines, it's called "spool up", which is exactly what it feels like.

So it's more than just a nuisance, it's actually a safety issue, in my book. Mis-time the power and your merge/lane change could go horribly wrong... for you and someone else.
Oh, and...

Attempting to corner with the lack of roll on acceleration? Woah.

Now, I realize this isn't a 911 or anything, but still. Brake before a corner, accelerate out of a corner, right? If I hit the gas at the apex, I'm already out of most corners before the power kicks me in the butt. So any sportiness of this thing has evaporated. Sea to Sky highway has lots of fun corners that are a tad scary in this configuration as you don't get the acceleration out and then you get the surge once you're straight again.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:47 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Oh, it's plenty. But max isn't until 1750ish. And it kind of goes against what you've heard/posted about moving the torque band up to 1700.

But I agree that these things have the roll on power of a vintage 80s diesel Mercedes 300E!

I will be interesting to eventually see a post tune dyno trace.
I am talking about original tune and dyno which is posted. There is not a dyno graph on post tune and everyone's complaints follows a later powerband curve so not sure I am following.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:24 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
I am talking about original tune and dyno which is posted. There is not a dyno graph on post tune and everyone's complaints follows a later powerband curve so not sure I am following.
Oh, OK, I guess I was the one confused. I thought you were saying that was a post tune dyno!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

What I would like to see is a post 'fix' dyno graph of a diesel that has not been 'tuned'
Best of all worlds would be a pre and post 'fix' dyno graph from the same machine by the same people.
Sorry, but all my years doing test I like to see as much correlation of data as possible.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:01 PM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife drove the CD for the first time (her daily is an Audi S3 stock outside of summer wheels and tires) and her call to me about 100 miles into her 500 mile trip..."What did they do, this thing drives like crap now in traffic." She thought I was being picky. Porsche is adamant that the car is just fine and has their denial front dialed in. I have put on about 5K in the last two months and it progressively is getting more laggy again after the last parts swapping they performed at the Dealer.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:46 PM
Christobol
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw someone say their CD doesn't lag from a standstill, that's definitely not the case with mine. I get the lag from a dead stop, and anytime I'm coasting and attempt to accelerate. This is dangerous, as someone else said, you have to time the boost when moving through congested traffic. It's also bad when turning onto a busy street you basically have a dead pedal so in an emergency situation you can't use the gas to help you avoid other moving obstacles.

Below you'll see the results of testing I've done both with the lag and the 0-60 times. The lag is consistently sitting around 1.6 - 1.7s. Then kind of surprising, but in retrospect makes complete sense, the 0 to 60 is about 1.6 to 1.7 seconds slower than when the car was released. I know the 0 to 60 times were not included in part of the settlement, but that difference is significant and it looks like it's completely caused by the lag.

Lag....... 0-60.... Temp...Humidity...... Engine Run Time
~1.9...... 9.1...... 95...... 75%............ 1 min
~1.9...... 9.2...... 95...... 75%............ 3 min
1.74...... 8.3...... 92...... 75%............ 45 min *slightly downhill
1.73...... 8.9...... 91...... 38%............ 1 min
1.59...... 8.8...... 83...... 38%............ 38 min *slightly downhill
1.73...... 8.8...... 92...... 29%............ 40 min
1.62...... 8.9...... 85...... 29%............ 5 min
1.69...... 8.5...... 78...... 31%............ 45 min

Last edited by Christobol; 08-16-2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: formatting results columns
Old 08-17-2018, 03:34 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I do not have lag from a standstill. Have it bad with roll on power, but not in 100% of cases; sometimes the TC is locked up and I get normal response, but that is not the norm.

I would think you/we could make a case for reduced "driveability" if the 0-60 times are what you're seeing. They're somewhere between 13% and 20% using your numbers and the nominal 7.2 second 0-60 run.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Favor to ask. Does anyone still have the big packet that they were sent about all the consequences of the fix? I can’t find mine. I am looking for the pages related to performance, specifically what they say may happen. If someone could scan those and post or PM me I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
What I would like to see is a post 'fix' dyno graph of a diesel that has not been 'tuned'
Best of all worlds would be a pre and post 'fix' dyno graph from the same machine by the same people.
Sorry, but all my years doing test I like to see as much correlation of data as possible.
That won’t help, at least for my case. From a standing start, the car appears to make full power. So a dyno would look normal. However drive in traffic, and try to roll on the throttle and literally nothing happens for 2-3 seconds.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
I saw someone say their CD doesn't lag from a standstill, that's definitely not the case with mine. I get the lag from a dead stop, and anytime I'm coasting and attempt to accelerate. This is dangerous, as someone else said, you have to time the boost when moving through congested traffic. It's also bad when turning onto a busy street you basically have a dead pedal so in an emergency situation you can't use the gas to help you avoid other moving obstacles.

Below you'll see the results of testing I've done both with the lag and the 0-60 times. The lag is consistently sitting around 1.6 - 1.7s. Then kind of surprising, but in retrospect makes complete sense, the 0 to 60 is about 1.6 to 1.7 seconds slower than when the car was released. I know the 0 to 60 times were not included in part of the settlement, but that difference is significant and it looks like it's completely caused by the lag.

Lag....... 0-60.... Temp...Humidity...... Engine Run Time
~1.9...... 9.1...... 95...... 75%............ 1 min
~1.9...... 9.2...... 95...... 75%............ 3 min
1.74...... 8.3...... 92...... 75%............ 45 min *slightly downhill
1.73...... 8.9...... 91...... 38%............ 1 min
1.59...... 8.8...... 83...... 38%............ 38 min *slightly downhill
1.73...... 8.8...... 92...... 29%............ 40 min
1.62...... 8.9...... 85...... 29%............ 5 min
1.69...... 8.5...... 78...... 31%............ 45 min
Out of curiosity, what are you using to log this data? It might be good if multiple people are gathering data in the same way to figure out what is going on with the lag.

I have it occasionally and have not figured out what conditions make it happen as it’s not super repeatable. Sometimes it’s at throttle tip in after nearly stopping, sometimes it from a dead stop. Seems to be more prevalent when the temp is above 90F. Other times it does both of those type of events without issue.

Its too early to really mean anything but I ran archoil in this tank and the severe lag has not been present even while the temps have been in the mid-90s. It drives like a typical diesel which is always going to be a bit slower in throttle response compared to gas engines.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:05 PM
yrk928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll just leave this here for you guys to think about...
From my CT thread...
"Wow, looks like this is garnering a ton of interest! Rightfully so; I recently received a re-tuned TCM from Joe (yrktreg) and am stoked about the results.

I have a '13 Lux that felt neutered by the emissions modification. In trying to get it back to its original character, I ordered a European-spec TCM from ebay which did make some difference, but had a couple rough shifts and other issues that I wasn't totally happy with. When Joe started modifying the "fixed" US-spec modules, I figured I would try it out. The re-tune smoothed out a lot of the shifting issues and as far as I can tell, completely reverted the car back to the pre-emissions-fix behavior. Install was basically plug and play; I had to reset a few faults on the module and recode the hex key/workshop/importer/equipment numbers to my previous values in VCDS (I'm using 00B168; Cayenne map with gear shift display. It drives great!), plus the transmission 're-learn' procedure. I've had a few hundred miles of trouble-free driving so far! Great customer service and communication as well. Thanks again Yrktreg!"

"2014 R-Line here (750CF), and Joe's got her her groove back. I've been getting used to driving the post-fix programming and like a boiling frog, I hadn't realized in how many ways it was bad. The truck shifts much more enthusiastically again, doesn't rev the **** out of a cold engine (I got used to paddle-forcing upshifts when cold) and I have engine braking back!

But one thing that was unexpected were stops/starts. I take pride in being able to drive very intentionally and precisely and part of that is coming to a stop with no final jerk. After the fix, I found this almost impossible. I think this is due to the engine braking programming where it's disengaging the torque converter so there is no preload on the driveline, except if you try to feather the brake off as you come to a stop, it reengages the converter and the truck starts creeping forward. This is completely gone now, I can come to a buttery smooth stop again.

More specific comments about Joe, he's been a great help since I first started talking to him when this thread started and everything went as promised. Super easy transaction and many online sellers could learn a lesson from him in what is prompt communication. I am in Canada by the way, this added no extra hassle with the border."

Just two of many comments from people that have my TCM tune. But what do i know...
Old 08-18-2018, 10:12 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by yrk928
I'll just leave this here for you guys to think about...
From my CT thread...
"Wow, looks like this is garnering a ton of interest! Rightfully so; I recently received a re-tuned TCM from Joe (yrktreg) and am stoked about the results.

I have a '13 Lux that felt neutered by the emissions modification. In trying to get it back to its original character, I ordered a European-spec TCM from ebay which did make some difference, but had a couple rough shifts and other issues that I wasn't totally happy with. When Joe started modifying the "fixed" US-spec modules, I figured I would try it out. The re-tune smoothed out a lot of the shifting issues and as far as I can tell, completely reverted the car back to the pre-emissions-fix behavior. Install was basically plug and play; I had to reset a few faults on the module and recode the hex key/workshop/importer/equipment numbers to my previous values in VCDS (I'm using 00B168; Cayenne map with gear shift display. It drives great!), plus the transmission 're-learn' procedure. I've had a few hundred miles of trouble-free driving so far! Great customer service and communication as well. Thanks again Yrktreg!"

"2014 R-Line here (750CF), and Joe's got her her groove back. I've been getting used to driving the post-fix programming and like a boiling frog, I hadn't realized in how many ways it was bad. The truck shifts much more enthusiastically again, doesn't rev the **** out of a cold engine (I got used to paddle-forcing upshifts when cold) and I have engine braking back!

But one thing that was unexpected were stops/starts. I take pride in being able to drive very intentionally and precisely and part of that is coming to a stop with no final jerk. After the fix, I found this almost impossible. I think this is due to the engine braking programming where it's disengaging the torque converter so there is no preload on the driveline, except if you try to feather the brake off as you come to a stop, it reengages the converter and the truck starts creeping forward. This is completely gone now, I can come to a buttery smooth stop again.

More specific comments about Joe, he's been a great help since I first started talking to him when this thread started and everything went as promised. Super easy transaction and many online sellers could learn a lesson from him in what is prompt communication. I am in Canada by the way, this added no extra hassle with the border."

Just two of many comments from people that have my TCM tune. But what do i know...
I don't really get that last comment. I don't think anyone here has been overly negative towards anything you are saying. However when you are talking about potentially compromising a long time warranty on a vehicle where it's not uncommon for dealers to charge in excess of $300 for a basic oil change (imagine the premium for something that actually requires parts and work) I would hope you understand that people are probably going to want more than "I think", "shouldn't" and "probably" for answers when it comes to throwing tamper codes and what level of risk is involved in doing this.

I think a lot of us are interested in figuring out what it takes to get our CD driving right. To me it feels like the software for the fix was rushed and there are significant holes in both the engine and the trans tuning. I'm sure a lot of it is tuning to meet emissions but, some of it just seems like sloppy tuning.

For me the biggest issue I have is occasionally the engine will just not respond as expected to throttle input. I'm not talking about the engine trying to accelerate and being lugged by the trans not wanting to downshift (which does happen a lot) or revving higher than expected due to the converter not locking up. I'm saying there are times I hit the gas and absolutely nothing happens at all for close to 2 seconds. The engine will not even try to gain RPM so, I feed in more and more throttle over the 2 second dead zone and then it wakes up and is like "Oh, sorry I wasn't listening. You want 76% throttle? You got it! Hey TCU drops 4 cogs, ****s going down!"

This is by far the most annoying and problematic thing I have observed with my vehicle and it is not super repeatable. I have a feeling it is a hole in the map that needs a pretty specific set of circumstances to happen. On one hand I'm happy this issue is very infrequent because it would be hard to live with day in day out. On the other it makes it hard to demonstrate to the dealership and even more problematic is that it makes me a little bit hesitant pulling into traffic for fear that the vehicle might not accelerate.

Mostly I think I can live with the trans software but, it definitely could be better. I would be happy if it were more willing to downshift one or two gears when rolling into the throttle and not lug the engine so bad, which correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like your file is going to be even more reluctant to downshift because it is for the pre-fix engine tuning and expects there to be more torque available down low than there is now. As it sits now it lugs, I give more throttle, it lugs, more throttle, it then downshifts multiple gears and shoots way up the tach. If it would have just shifted from 8th to 7th or 6th (as I do manually occasionally) when I rolled into the gas at 45MPH it could have avoided me requesting so much throttle.

Also, I'm assuming you would like to be compensated for this service at some point. What are you charging for this tune? You may already be aware but, most forums I've been on will want you to become a vendor if you are going to be selling services on their sites.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:18 AM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, hotrod. I’m seriously considering trading my CD for a well optioned X5 35d, just so tired of this bs behavior. Outstanding warranty was a reason I even looked at CD, but now it seems like to truly enjoy the vehicle I have to tune both ECU and TCU and jeopardy the so wanted warranty. It’s a trap
Old 08-18-2018, 12:00 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

And to be clear I’m not insinuating this tcu tune would even be an issue. What I’m concerned about would be having an issue something like the EGR system and being stuck with the bill for fixing it because they claim running the old tcu soft is somehow responsible.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue