Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 PM
6Cents
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum but signed up so I could chime in. My wife and I each have a Cayenne diesel (2015 & 2016). We love the cars, but the delay when accelerating is a big safety issue for us. We have complained to the dealer several times and we get responses similar to everyone else. "Performing as expected". I would like to contact the Class Action law firm to see if there is a remedy. I am happy to get opinions from all of you before taking it to this level and I want to make sure I am taking the right steps. After doing a little research, I found a link to the law firm; Lieff Cabraser, https://www.lieffcabraser.com/consum...ssions-recall/ Here is their telephone number; 1 800 541-7358.

I have read quite a bit of this thread and I agree that we all agreed to take the money, but we trusted that the car would perform as original. I also assumed that at some point, the car would be flagged and not pass emissions. However, for us, the bigger problem is safety. Pulling out in traffic when not at a complete stop can be terrifying. First the delay and then the lurch. Someone is going to be in a car accident due to this issue and that is not something that anyone wants to happen. I will read comments for a few days (if any) and then I plan to dig in and see if I can find some answers with the law firm.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:23 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The reality is that this car is now dangerous. Someone is going to get t-boned and lose their life due to this change. I am posting this as it almost happened to me last night. Opening in traffic on busy-ish road to make a left turn, step on gas... NOTHING. Zilch.. wait 2-3 seconds and then a massive SURGE with everything loose in the car flying around. This is NOT the car I paid for and put on 95k miles before the fix. It sucks and the reality is I bought another car so that I can avoid driving this piece of junk (3k miles since fix mostly towing the track car to track events and the mtb to some local rides... 14k on the car I bought to avoid driving this pig). I need a tow vehicle and I am sick of having 3 cars for 2 drivers and I was literally looking at trading it in last night on a GLS...

So when someone does get t-boned and injured, at least there is a record of us now discussing a very real possibility. We need to keep raising the flag to Porsche.. at some point the bean counters are going to see that a lawsuit with a death involved associated with this rubbish performance change is a very real possibility.

My car has a few big maintenance items due (tires, brakes) and I am torn about whether it is worth investing in this car.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:54 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I would just get rid of it. Life is too short to be frustrated.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:21 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by MJG911
I would just get rid of it. Life is too short to be frustrated.
What would you replace it with? I own it and the GLS I liked was in the 90s and a CPO Cayenne GTS is in the 70s. I'll get 20k if I'm lucky on trade for this car and go back on the treadmill of forking over cash every month. Other than 1 mega high-dollar warranty repair item right at the time of the fix, this car has been incredible. My car was in the first wave of deliveries in this country and was built to order and has everything I could ask for in a car. Even checking out the new Cayenne, it's not all that exciting to spend 100k+ on an S. Feel like it isn't a real upgrade from what this car used to offer. I intended to keep this car for a long time and hopefully hit 200k miles on it. I truly believe that the hot weather drivability is horrible now and somewhat dangerous.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:51 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

me, probably a cayenne s or hybrid, if the hybrid can tow. Fortunately, I did not get ours fixed and will not be getting it fixed.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:01 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

We have said this before and get more committed with what y'all are experiencing post 'fix'. Ours has not been 'fixed' and will not be until the documented issues are resolved. We ordered ours spec'd the way we wanted expecting the advertised level of performance. We drive ours a bit differently than most on here spending most of the time going off grid for up to 2 weeks. We also do long distance (5,500miles) endurance rally. Both of these required modifications to include skid plates, rock sliders, bush bar, etc. Nothing was touched on the drive train or suspension. With the compensation offered it is not worth it for us to get the 'fix' as currently offered, especially considering how much we have put into it. We would not be able to use our CD as we currently do and our mods would have been a waste of time and money.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Smart move to not get it done. The car wasn't so bad in the winter when the fixes started being done and when I got mine done. As the weather got warmer, it has gotten far worse...
Old 09-06-2018, 09:12 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Smart move to not get it done. The car wasn't so bad in the winter when the fixes started being done and when I got mine done. As the weather got warmer, it has gotten far worse...
There was virtually zero difference post fix last winter.

Will be interesting to see if things return to normal this winter when it gets cooler out... or if they remain problematic. If they remain then the issues are more a function of “miles put on after the fix” than weather.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987

There was virtually zero difference post fix last winter.

Will be interesting to see if things return to normal this winter when it gets cooler out... or if they remain problematic. If they remain then the issues are more a function of “miles put on after the fix” than weather.
I had my fix done in January. I wanted to wait for initial reports and initial reports seemed fine. Ours was fine for 2-3 months. Not sure if mileage or temp related.

I daily a GTI that has quite a bit of lag. And I used to own a modified Volvo V70R that had issues with intake air temp due to an undersized factory intercooler. So I'm used to driving turbo vehicles with lag. Plus, out of the 65k on our CD I've done probably 25k of that. That car had lag when new as well.

IMO, this issue is none of that. It's not lag due to the turbo working. In the GTI and in the CD pre-fix, when you hit the throttle, you can feel the car working, the engine pushing. It's just not getting much accomplished since you are off boost. In the V70R, you could again feel the engine working, it just wan't making boost. Felt like you were driving through molasses.

In the CD, it's a hesitation as there is NOTHING happening. The input from your right foot is met with zero response. Not a muted response, not less response than you were expecting, literally nothing changes in the engine behavior for 2-3 seconds then it decides to kick in. When you put the car in sport, this behavior completely goes away. This is programming 100%.

I agree on the safety aspect. God forbid my wife or I get hit because the car didn't respond.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:02 PM
6Cents
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
The reality is that this car is now dangerous. Someone is going to get t-boned and lose their life due to this change. I am posting this as it almost happened to me last night. Opening in traffic on busy-ish road to make a left turn, step on gas... NOTHING. Zilch.. wait 2-3 seconds and then a massive SURGE with everything loose in the car flying around. This is NOT the car I paid for and put on 95k miles before the fix. It sucks and the reality is I bought another car so that I can avoid driving this piece of junk (3k miles since fix mostly towing the track car to track events and the mtb to some local rides... 14k on the car I bought to avoid driving this pig). I need a tow vehicle and I am sick of having 3 cars for 2 drivers and I was literally looking at trading it in last night on a GLS...

So when someone does get t-boned and injured, at least there is a record of us now discussing a very real possibility. We need to keep raising the flag to Porsche.. at some point the bean counters are going to see that a lawsuit with a death involved associated with this rubbish performance change is a very real possibility.

My car has a few big maintenance items due (tires, brakes) and I am torn about whether it is worth investing in this car.
I concur with this post. I have 2 CDs and both have the fix. The fix is a big safety issue and there will be (probably already has been) an accident because of it.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Again, my suggestion. If you feel that driveability is bordering dangerous situation bc of the turbo lag, you may want to have some written record. I would suggest writing to "our attorney" about it and add copies of communications from your dealer (specially those dealers who acknowledge there is an issue). This is her address:

Elizabeth J. Cabraser, Squire,
LIEFF, CABRASER, HEIMANN & BERNSTEIN Embarcadero Center West
275 Battery Street, 29th Floor
San Francisco, California 94111.

From prior communications, they are very good at responding. You may want to make a phone call, but it will be better to leave a written record so that the court knows there is an issue with the fix.

In the meantime, I found that resetting the adaptation helps. If you forgot: Turn key to 2nd position and press accelerator down for 10 seconds. Turn off key and then turn engine on.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I had my fix done in January. I wanted to wait for initial reports and initial reports seemed fine. Ours was fine for 2-3 months. Not sure if mileage or temp related.

I daily a GTI that has quite a bit of lag. And I used to own a modified Volvo V70R that had issues with intake air temp due to an undersized factory intercooler. So I'm used to driving turbo vehicles with lag. Plus, out of the 65k on our CD I've done probably 25k of that. That car had lag when new as well.

IMO, this issue is none of that. It's not lag due to the turbo working. In the GTI and in the CD pre-fix, when you hit the throttle, you can feel the car working, the engine pushing. It's just not getting much accomplished since you are off boost. In the V70R, you could again feel the engine working, it just wan't making boost. Felt like you were driving through molasses.

In the CD, it's a hesitation as there is NOTHING happening. The input from your right foot is met with zero response. Not a muted response, not less response than you were expecting, literally nothing changes in the engine behavior for 2-3 seconds then it decides to kick in. When you put the car in sport, this behavior completely goes away. This is programming 100%.

I agree on the safety aspect. God forbid my wife or I get hit because the car didn't respond.
Agreed I don't consider this to be turbo lag. As a former longtime owner of a 944 Turbo... I know what turbo lag is. And you are correct - with turbo lag you can still tell the engine is laboring, just waiting for boost. This is much different.

Now regarding "safety", if I may play devil's advocate... the only time the lag has given me a pucker moment is when I was already attempting an aggressive maneuver. Quick hole in traffic, quick lane change to get around a slowpoke, etc. One could argue that if one didn't make aggressive maneuvers, it might not be as noticeable.

That said - I've been experimenting a bit. I noticed that, so long as I anticipate the delay happening... flip the shifter to M mode right before I nail it. Then floor it - just to the bottom, withOUT hitting the kickdown button under the pedal. I seem to accelerate away much more quickly than waiting for the thing to downshift. In one instance (that I haven't been able to replicate...) it seemed like the torque converter unlocked in 3rd because the revs quickly moved to 2200 or so (after waffling around at 1400) and the truck moved with torque.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yep exactly. Once fully warmed up mine felt 100% normal. But again, this was late fall when I fixed my 2014, put ~10,000 miles on it "fixed" then traded it for a "new, fixed" 2015, which felt identical to my 2014.

Until it got warm out - and I was probably 10,000 or so miles into the 2015. (I drive a LOT....)

So I'm not sure if it's an "adaptation" thing or a "weather" thing tho it's certainly REALLY bad on HOT days.

Originally Posted by visitador
In the meantime, I found that resetting the adaptation helps. If you forgot: Turn key to 2nd position and press accelerator down for 10 seconds. Turn off key and then turn engine on.
I tried this and found no difference.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I need to get a PIWIS, then take video showing throttle pedal trace, engine RPM, boost, vehicle speed... to demonstrate the actual delays we are seeing.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
I need to get a PIWIS, then take video showing throttle pedal trace, engine RPM, boost, vehicle speed... to demonstrate the actual delays we are seeing.
That would be absolutely fantastic!

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue