Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:49 AM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

so, does anyone have a PIWIS III and know how to bring our cars back to "prefix"? Or is that just not allowed?
Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Before the fix.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by petery
Ahhhh, love driving CD in sport mode, I will miss it when I get the fix done.
So why get it fixed? Going through what all these guys are going through isn't worth the 5k to me. Not going to fix it until right before I trade it in, if its still in the program window, or not going to fix it at all. Might even be more sellable on the private market unfixed in the future.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

have any of you guys with the major issues contacted the class action attorneys?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:29 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJG911
So why get it fixed? Going through what all these guys are going through isn't worth the 5k to me. Not going to fix it until right before I trade it in, if its still in the program window, or not going to fix it at all. Might even be more sellable on the private market unfixed in the future.
I will get the fix towards the end of 2019, by that time I should have close to 100K miles. $5000 will get me free oil change for the life of the vehicle ($250 X 20) if I keep the vehicle until 100K miles.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 PM
PDR447
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petery
I will get the fix towards the end of 2019, by that time I should have close to 100K miles. $5000 will get me free oil change for the life of the vehicle ($250 X 20) if I keep the vehicle until 100K miles.
Double check but I believe the cutoff to get settlement money is sooner than that. After a certain point you can't file a claim.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:53 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami

Before the fix.

That rocks...easy, fun and no sweat with a Cayenne. It wants to go faster.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Identical thoughts here. Waiting as long as possible, but I want the post fix warranty. By that time, our CD will be 6 years old, and likely not our primary long distance vehicle. Would be nice to keep it, but if ours turns to a dog after the fix, it will be sold.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:52 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TFR4E
To Alexaqui's post 5681: 2sec lag from start sounds very similar to what my CD developed after emission "fix". Multiple discussions with PCNA (opened a case for the issue), visits to local dealer (who did not try hard; drove the car, checked for "codes", updated "software"), measuring 0-60 at ~10sec to show PCNA "objective" data that car is way out of spec after fix (~7sec spec), resulted in nothing. I was told that Porsche will not do anything for me, what my car does is "normal". See my posts 5566, 5598. I feel exactly like you, loved the car before fix, can't stand to drive it now (feels unsafe merging at roundabouts). I decided to sell.
How is the used market? The only reason I am keeping the car for now is that it is the only vehicle I own that can tow my track car and take my 2" hitch mounted bike rack. I'm very tempted to sell, except I really like not having a car payment and everything I would trade it in for, even CPO, is around 55k or so. I'm assuming I'll get low to mid 20's for a car with 98k miles on it.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:18 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

have any of you guys with the major issues contacted the class action attorneys?
The settlement says we have to give 4 attempts to fix something. Mine's going in for #2 in a bit over a week.

I'm thinking mine may actually have two issues. Something with the transmission which may be making the engine weirdness worse.

We'll see.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:30 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

With all the issues addressed here we have no intention of getting the 'fix'
Wonder where VW / Porsche is on getting the court ordered percentage of the fleet 'fixed' ?
Believe if they do not achieve their target, additional penalties loom.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Posting here an inquiry from new member dk0811 who does not have enough messages to send me a private one and left a public post on my profile:

1. How many days it took for VW to send me the second payment after the fix: About four business days directly deposited into my checking account.

2. Current view about the fix: But for the issue of manually shifting from third to fourth gear when the CD is cold, not much. Other things I noticed: 1. Slight increase in turbo lag (but not as pronounced as some members here wrote); 2. no more unintended acceleration when releasing the brake after a stop; 3. going downhill, I need to apply the brakes more. So, so far, knock on wood, it is still fine. Am I happy? I still like the prefix better. So, put me temporarily in the camp of BendCD.

As I previously posted, I did the fix so that I can have time to deal with any potential issues if I needed to invoke the settlement's lemon law provision. I thought waiting till the end of next year to do it is basically delaying a hypothetical buyback if something went terrible wrong with the fix. But if you are happy with the pre-fix and you want to delay your decision as late as possible, don't bother doing it until then (I forgot when is the 2019 deadline and I am not going to read all those court documents again).

As for what RS-America said not to do the fix and hope VW does not reach the 85% compliance, sure you can gamble. My main concern is that there is a provision in the fix booklet from Porsche saying that it may no longer be providing parts for the affected systems (I interpreted it to mean that if in the future you bring a prefix for repairs related to the affected emissions system, Porsche may not be willing to provide you the parts).
Old 07-27-2018, 11:33 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Our dealer in Oklahoma City is buying up as many diesels as possible and applying the fix. If all dealers are doing this, I would imaging VW PAG will be very close to the 85% fix rate.

I’m not fixing mine.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:28 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
As for what RS-America said not to do the fix and hope VW does not reach the 85% compliance, sure you can gamble. My main concern is that there is a provision in the fix booklet from Porsche saying that it may no longer be providing parts for the affected systems (I interpreted it to mean that if in the future you bring a prefix for repairs related to the affected emissions system, Porsche may not be willing to provide you the parts).
I do not hope VW does not reach the 85% compliance, just wondering how they are doing to reach their target.
Regardless, reasons why we are not getting the current 'fix'
- Issues many have written about here for degraded performance.
- We have a lot invested in our build, what we would receive to get the 'fix' is not worth the risk.
- With the degraded performance we could not use it as we currently do.
- We would not realize much if we sold to purchase another vehicle capable of going where we go.
Plus the cost of outfitting another vehicle build is significant.
Our 958 is used more off-road then around town and trips on paved roads.
As to parts availability,
From the European Automobile Manufacturers Association that operates under EU law "The supply of spare parts is also regulated at a national level, e.g. in Germany i, where a minimum 10 year availability obligation must be fulfilled. (i Post‐contractual fiduciary duty to supply spare parts, German Civil Law Code, Art. 242.)"
There are similar USA Federal requirements for the supply of spare parts like Transportation Title 49 › Subtitle B › Chapter V Requirements for replacement parts.
Then there is the OEM supplier network and after market sources of spare parts.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:28 PM
dk0811
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

visitador,

Thank you for the reply! I just recently had the "fix" done and I really can't tell the difference from the "pre-fix" and haven't encountered any of the issues other owners have had post fix. I've driven it about 60 miles since the fix and most of those miles have been pretty aggressive. I'm dropping the "hammer" as much as possible. But again I just had the fix done so I'm sure I need to drive it a lot more.

My SA told me that not too many of the CD owners at the dealership have had the fix. Hopefully there won't be any issues. I have a 2014 CD with about 30,000 miles on it and was offered 37k by the dealership a few months ago when I stopped by just to talk to my sales person. He asked if I was interested in trading in the CD something else when he made the offer. I was actually thinking about trading it in for a 16 or 17 Cayenne GTS. I guess I will wait and see after driving it more.

Again, thank you for the reply.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue