Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dk0811
visitador,

Thank you for the reply! I just recently had the "fix" done and I really can't tell the difference from the "pre-fix" and haven't encountered any of the issues other owners have had post fix. I've driven it about 60 miles since the fix and most of those miles have been pretty aggressive. I'm dropping the "hammer" as much as possible. But again I just had the fix done so I'm sure I need to drive it a lot more.

My SA told me that not too many of the CD owners at the dealership have had the fix. Hopefully there won't be any issues. I have a 2014 CD with about 30,000 miles on it and was offered 37k by the dealership a few months ago when I stopped by just to talk to my sales person. He asked if I was interested in trading in the CD something else when he made the offer. I was actually thinking about trading it in for a 16 or 17 Cayenne GTS. I guess I will wait and see after driving it more.

Again, thank you for the reply.
Most of us started to notice turbo lag in hot/humid weather.

Mine felt 100% normal comparing "pre" to "post" fix (once fully warmed up) until the heat/humidity of summer set in. Hard to tell if that's a function purely of heat/humidity or if it's a function of mileage since the fix was applied. I know a few folks here commented that after a few thousand miles they started to experience the symptoms.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by dk0811
visitador,

Thank you for the reply! I just recently had the "fix" done and I really can't tell the difference from the "pre-fix" and haven't encountered any of the issues other owners have had post fix. I've driven it about 60 miles since the fix and most of those miles have been pretty aggressive. I'm dropping the "hammer" as much as possible. But again I just had the fix done so I'm sure I need to drive it a lot more.

My SA told me that not too many of the CD owners at the dealership have had the fix. Hopefully there won't be any issues. I have a 2014 CD with about 30,000 miles on it and was offered 37k by the dealership a few months ago when I stopped by just to talk to my sales person. He asked if I was interested in trading in the CD something else when he made the offer. I was actually thinking about trading it in for a 16 or 17 Cayenne GTS. I guess I will wait and see after driving it more.

Again, thank you for the reply.
I didn't have any issues the first two tanks of
Gas. After that.,,,,

Let's hope you dont end up in the same boat I did.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:16 PM
schwarz633
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I didn't have any issues the first two tanks of
Gas. After that.,,,,

Let's hope you dont end up in the same boat I did.
Can you elaborate on the problems you're experiencing? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 2014 CD with 25,000 miles.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Lag. Delay. Poor throttle response. It's fine odd the light, and even when cruising for the most part. But if you slow down and don't stop then get on the throttle...nothing for at least two seconds. Then you get something. But usually by then, you've pushed further. So when the boost hits, you are now rocketing off when you didn't intend to be.

Sport mode completely erases this. So it's purely programming, not any physical issue like heat soak or the turbo being laggy. But driving in sport sucks as it doesn't upshift to the highest gear.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

A short update on the diesel survey. 85 responses now. When considering performance only, 36 of 63 (57%) who have had the fix are either sorry they did it or are experincing noticeably negative performance. About 30% of those feel like the compensation makes up for the negative performance. 80% of respondents have had the fix done. Remember, this is not a scientific survey but hopefully captures general impressions of the respondents.

If you haven’t yet taken the survey, here is the link. It takes about one minute.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YQ56FDH
Old 08-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up my 2014 CD from my local dealer today after they completed some service work to the car. The service manager asked me when my vehicle registration expires and I told him at the end of next month (September). He told me he had heard from a couple of people that Massachusetts (my home state) will not be allowing people to renew their registrations if there is an outstanding recall notice of an emissions nature like this one. I subsequently went online and renewed my registration successfully with no issues whatsoever. I am not planning to do the emissions modification to my car anytime soon. It would have been very disappointing if I was being forced to do it. It looks like I've bought myself at least another year on this issue. I hope it doesn't become a tactic that forces us to get the repairs done.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:54 AM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I picked up my 2014 CD from my local dealer today after they completed some service work to the car. The service manager asked me when my vehicle registration expires and I told him at the end of next month (September). He told me he had heard from a couple of people that Massachusetts (my home state) will not be allowing people to renew their registrations if there is an outstanding recall notice of an emissions nature like this one. I subsequently went online and renewed my registration successfully with no issues whatsoever. I am not planning to do the emissions modification to my car anytime soon. It would have been very disappointing if I was being forced to do it. It looks like I've bought myself at least another year on this issue. I hope it doesn't become a tactic that forces us to get the repairs done.
I renewed my registration too and I am in CA, it will expire in September 2019
Old 08-07-2018, 03:33 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Had mine in for a 2nd shot at a fix. They reflashed with what sounds like a much more elaborate process and road test.

So far, it's better. I had described my transmission as "angry and lazy". It does not appear to be either now.

Still some lag/hesitation, but want to make sure I'm ot being two paranoid and over stating it. I'm going to give it some time before I do anything else.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Mine is in for a few warranty items and I also brought up the severe hesitation/ unpredictable throttle response when accelerating from a near stop and when the ambient temps are above 90F. I'm guessing I'm going to get "could not replicate" for a response but, I wanted it documented that I'm experiencing this issue.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
Had mine in for a 2nd shot at a fix. They reflashed with what sounds like a much more elaborate process and road test.

So far, it's better. I had described my transmission as "angry and lazy". It does not appear to be either now.

Still some lag/hesitation, but want to make sure I'm ot being two paranoid and over stating it. I'm going to give it some time before I do anything else.
How did you get them to do this? PM me if you don't want to share publicly please.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:32 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

I provided very specific examples of the issues, basically. Speeds, gears, RPMs. Was able to take them on a test drive the first time and show them exactly the issues.

I have a very good dealer, too, and I took them on a test drive the first time around so they could see 1st hand what it was (and wasn't doing) and agreed it wasn't right.

They asked me to spend some time with it after the first fix and then, if it wasn't right, bring it back, so I did that, too. So, working with them to help myself. They also know that I definitely want it fixed because I don't want a buyback; I want to keep the car. It could help that this is the 3rd vehicle we've bought there and the second CD, so they know I'm serious about that.

I also reported what others were discovering on here, like the EGR blockage, so they checked for indications of that and found nothing to indicate a blocked valve.

Still happy, for the most part, with how it's running. Roll on acceleration may still be an issue, though. Now that the whole lazy/angry transmission is fixed, I should be able to do better tests of any roll-on problems. So far, I haven't been scared with the lack of acceleration, so that's a big plus.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I provided very specific examples of the issues, basically. Speeds, gears, RPMs. Was able to take them on a test drive the first time and show them exactly the issues.

I have a very good dealer, too, and I took them on a test drive the first time around so they could see 1st hand what it was (and wasn't doing) and agreed it wasn't right.

They asked me to spend some time with it after the first fix and then, if it wasn't right, bring it back, so I did that, too. So, working with them to help myself. They also know that I definitely want it fixed because I don't want a buyback; I want to keep the car. It could help that this is the 3rd vehicle we've bought there and the second CD, so they know I'm serious about that.

I also reported what others were discovering on here, like the EGR blockage, so they checked for indications of that and found nothing to indicate a blocked valve.

Still happy, for the most part, with how it's running. Roll on acceleration may still be an issue, though. Now that the whole lazy/angry transmission is fixed, I should be able to do better tests of any roll-on problems. So far, I haven't been scared with the lack of acceleration, so that's a big plus.
Do you have any specifics on what they fixed the 2nd time around? Software update versions, etc? Anything indicated on your bill?

I'd like to *think* my dealer is "good".... I described the issues, the service writer and technician both confirmed they were able to reproduce exactly what I was complaining about. They also said, "That's normal for post-fixed Diesels."

Perhaps ALL of the Diesels they have fixed have done this, so their idea of "normal" is screwed up?

If I had some kind of hard info... either like a software release number, TSB campaign number, etc.... something that they can look up and verify mine doesn't have, it might help my (and I imagine others) cause here.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ah.

I have a good dealer / service group too. They can see the issue during test drive. Unfortunately they think that it's the way the fix is programmed and nothing can really been done.

Do you know exactly what they are reprogramming?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:19 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Engine and tranny control units, I'm pretty sure.

Don't know if they updated the S/W or just did it using a different procedure.

No indication of version number on the work report. As far as I know, it's not a TSB or anything like that.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:17 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did they pull the induction system apart to check for EGR Valve blockage?
As I've posted in my previous responses, the inlet Swirl Flaps on mine were nearly blocked which then leads to the EGR.
So unless they physically removed all that plumbing, I'm not sure how they can give a definitive Ok reply.
My CD perhaps had more miles on it when it was pulled apart, approximately 45K.
Everything pretty much Blocked and She has been driven predominantly on highways, with very little stop and go city commuting.
I have stated; a sure fired way to help this blow by problem that causes all the contamination, is to install a good quality CCV filter (Mann ProVent 200).
Of course a lot of enthusiasts already know this.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue