Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

In fact it would not surprise me in the least to learn that there are VAG 3.0TDI cars in their possession with BS boxes and Malone tunes in them.

At Navistar we had all of them. Some of it was fascination to see “what they do”, some of it was to understand what the failures and tell-tales looked like, and (big piece) was to understand how to detect and block them in the future.... because the EPA and CARB do NOT like modifications that can impact emissions. I’m sure VAG is uber paranoid about all that.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:34 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ in that case, I hope VAG and our lawyers are reading what is happening to some of the fixed CDs
Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 PM
TFR4E
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on post #5566 above
- PCNA responded. They investigated, discussed with local dealer, concluded that car is "...operating as designed without safety concerns..."
- Case closed, nothing else PCNA can do for me
I decided to sell the car and move on. I'll vote with my wallet in the future purchases (so long, VW AG, and thanks for all the fish [D. Adams])
Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Default CD Emission Fix Survey Update

Given the discussion above about performance problems after the fix, I thought it would be a good time to see where we are on the survey I started in April. There are now 66 responses with almost half (47%) being 2014 models, 23% each for 2013 and 2015, followed by 5 responses by 2016 owners. 74% have reported that the fix has been applied which is very consistent with the 73% in the last update.

Satisfaction has dropped regarding performance after the fix (not considering compensation). At my last update in April, 38% were either "sorry they did it" or experienced "noticeably negative" performance. This has risen to 44% negative after the fix with 2013 and 2014 owners at 48% "sorry they did it" or experienced "noticeably negative" performance.

When including compensation paid, dissatisfaction has also increased. Those that are "sorry they did it" or "somewhat negative" on the whole deal has risen from 21% to 26%. Finally, for those not yet fixed, 59% are "possible, but don't want to" or "maybe, I'll wait to see what develops". Personally, I'm edging more toward never doing the fix at this point.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I discussed with the PCA SUV representative the possibility of giving this survey some exposure in the eBrake news. Once I sent him the Excel spreadsheet I had at the time I never heard from him again. One might conclude from this that PCA and by extension Porsche does not want anyone knowing how dissatisfied their customers are with the fix. If the survey results are representative of the population as a whole, 44% experiencing noticeably negative performance after the fix is a big number. I have attached the Excel spreadsheet that breaks out responses by model year for those that are interested.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
CD Fix Survey June 5 18.xlsx (14.4 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Mtea; 06-06-2018 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-06-2018, 02:54 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TFR4E
- PCNA responded. They investigated, discussed with local dealer, concluded that car is "...operating as designed without safety concerns..."
I decided to sell the car and move on. I'll vote with my wallet in the future purchases (so long, VW AG, and thanks for all the fish [D. Adams])
If you haven't sold it, file a safety complaint with NHTSA. PCNA may deem it safe, but it's not exclusively their call.

And see what the class counsel might have to say about this?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:59 PM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Submitted a case to the NHTSA. They put new knock sensors in and keep throwing parts at the "fix" problem to no avail.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TFR4E
I don't blame you. A Cayenne is purchased because it is a fun to drive SUV. There are SUVs with more cargo capacity, ride better and are lot less expensive to service. Take away the fun to drive element, and you have to ask, what do you need it for.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtea
Given the discussion above about performance problems after the fix, I thought it would be a good time to see where we are on the survey I started in April. There are now 66 responses with almost half (47%) being 2014 models, 23% each for 2013 and 2015, followed by 5 responses by 2016 owners. 74% have reported that the fix has been applied which is very consistent with the 73% in the last update.

Satisfaction has dropped regarding performance after the fix (not considering compensation). At my last update in April, 38% were either "sorry they did it" or experienced "noticeably negative" performance. This has risen to 44% negative after the fix with 2013 and 2014 owners at 48% "sorry they did it" or experienced "noticeably negative" performance.

When including compensation paid, dissatisfaction has also increased. Those that are "sorry they did it" or "somewhat negative" on the whole deal has risen from 21% to 26%. Finally, for those not yet fixed, 59% are "possible, but don't want to" or "maybe, I'll wait to see what develops". Personally, I'm edging more toward never doing the fix at this point.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I discussed with the PCA SUV representative the possibility of giving this survey some exposure in the eBrake news. Once I sent him the Excel spreadsheet I had at the time I never heard from him again. One might conclude from this that PCA and by extension Porsche does not want anyone knowing how dissatisfied their customers are with the fix. If the survey results are representative of the population as a whole, 44% experiencing noticeably negative performance after the fix is a big number. I have attached the Excel spreadsheet that breaks out responses by model year for those that are interested.
Thanks for keeping the survey. Getting interesting.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Mrboom
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are quite a few used Cayenne diesels for sale at some great prices. If I buy a used Cayenne diesel without the fix, can I take it to the dealer for the fix and then would I get the additional warranty for free? If I cannot get a free extended warranty, then it would probably be worth not fixing it from the the opinions in this thread.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:44 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrboom
There are quite a few used Cayenne diesels for sale at some great prices. If I buy a used Cayenne diesel without the fix, can I take it to the dealer for the fix and then would I get the additional warranty for free? If I cannot get a free extended warranty, then it would probably be worth not fixing it from the the opinions in this thread.
Every CD was given a courtesy 6y/100k extension to the new vehicle warranty.

The fix adds a 10y (I don't remember the mileage) warranty to emissions-related components.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi to all 3.0 TDi CD owners including Audi and Touareg's.
Hailing from BC Canada , I had our 2014 CD done mid January, right from the onslaught I new there was something totally wrong with the fix.
Upart from the audible change and slow speed stumbling on a slight accelerator input, what really worries me are the high EGT's I recorded.
I did this back in February and March, still in winter with a OBD2 Dongle I bought from Blue Driver up here in Canada, a nice bit of kit!
Of course these devices use a smartphone and a downloaded App.
What really upset me were the temps I was seeing at a mild acceleration, driving up an average incline for a mile or so, in my residential area.
No added weight or towing, just me and the vehicle's natural load, the temps were reaching 1200-1300F.
That's ridiculous when the outside temp was around 6-7C or 43-45F, what's going to happen in the middle of Summer especially if people tow?
I brought this to the attention of my Porsche Dealer, at which time they took it in for there own data logging.
This was passed on and Porsche Germany, they came back requesting them to investigate the EGR, which was replaced with a new version.
That's when my vehicles troubles started; after having my Cayenne in the service department for almost a month because of the poor support up here in Canada.
I finally got her back late April, everything seemed a little smoother although the same post fix noise and Transmission shifting issues were there. Although I thought I was hearing the Radiator Fan running continuously.
Driving her locally for a few days, I had to make a trip out of town to Kelowna BC, this involves a bit of mountain driving at which point the engine check light came on.
She's now been back at the Dealer for 3 weeks and they can't figure out why the fan is running continuously.
Again Porsche Canada has a poor service response to there dealerships which have to follow this ridiculous protocol.
My advice to any individual who hasn't had the fix, Don't it's not worth the money! and you can't blame these Awesome machines, it's not this fantastic 3.0 TDi's engine fault.
Good luck.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:08 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Do you know what the EGTs were prior to the fix? It is hard to say those numbers are harming the engine particularly if you don't have original numbers. Keep everyone in the loop when they return your CD.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:13 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

<div style="text-align:left;"></div>
Old 06-08-2018, 02:38 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

It's not about the previous numbers! But typically we're around 850-1000F under normal driving situations.
Of course this would increase slightly with higher ambient temperatures, if I was towing my trailer and boat especially up an incline.
One can control those temps by less Foot in the Game and using the manual side of the transmission, then gearing down, less load equates to lower temperatures.
As I mentioned what I was seeing is with one person, and back in February, March on a typical winters day here in Coastal Western Canada.
The problem is; the manipulation of the ERG valve after the fix and probably the Timing as well, which in unison are causing these higher temperatures.
Your local Porsche Dealer is going to be pretty tight lipped about the actual mods, which I guess is understandable.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:31 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Would be very interested in the Malone TCU tune.
Same here. The more I observe, the more I think the engine tune is fine but, at least on my '15, the transmission software is the issue. Especially when in 3rd, but throughout the range. Saw the thing in 7th at 40, 39 then 38 with RPMs below 1100 for ~15 seconds and hold at 1100 nearly indefinitely. The whole time, I could feel the lugging in the form a vibration that set up through the entire vehicle. Holding the same throttle, the road tilted up and, finally, at 38, it downshifted but still took a few minutes for the engine and transmission to match up and produce power I could feel.

Rolling up to a red light, slowing through ~35, it changed to green. Pressed the accelerator and there was still that 3 second delay before downshifting and getting power. Part of that 3 seconds is ~1 second of virtually nothing happening.

Lots of data points for the next visit.

But I think, in my case, at least, it's something to do with the transmission and/or transmission software.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue