Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 02:27 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Finally got my 2nd Bosch check - actually it was a reissue of my 1st check - so now I'm "fully" compensated. Whew !
Old 02-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Finally got my 2nd Bosch check - actually it was a reissue of my 1st check - so now I'm "fully" compensated. Whew !
They really do take their sweet time.. Still waiting for mine.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:22 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

While my long distant (50+ miles) MPG seems to be the same I think I'm seeing an increase in the short drives. I wasn't recording the short drives prior to the update but was wondering if somebody on the board that hasn't done the upgrade on a Gen2 take a few readings of the 'day-to-day' short hops. I see a pretty significant jump...where I use to see low 30's (recollection) in the first mile or so I'm now in the mid to high 30's. Almost as if the algorithm for the first few miles has changed ie: starts high vs an average, zero, or something else. While this wouldn't change the overall average it would impact the "feeling".

Last edited by JRoach; 03-04-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 PM
eye4speed
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time Euro guy (mostly Audi and BMW) and finally jumped over to the CD - purchased a low mileage 2014. Had an A7 TDI and still have a Q5 TDI, so already went through those 3.0 settlements.

Interesting thing on this CD is that the original owner filed, but they traded it in before they had the fix done. So I went and registered tonight as the second owner, but I can't get a straight answer from PCNA or the Settlement chat person about compensation. I thought for the Audi side, we would have had to register before a certain date and then would be entitled to compensation divided by number of owners. Both PCNA and chat told me that I would have to have the fix done by Dec 31, 2019 to qualify. But qualify for what? If I missed the date for monetary compensation, all I would be getting is the fix done and then the 2 year extended warranty.

Was I lucky enough to find one without the fix and would be entitled to some money?

Thanks and looking forward to getting more involved here (same handle on other Euro forums).
Old 03-06-2018, 10:56 PM
ACE51
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eye4speed
Long time Euro guy (mostly Audi and BMW) and finally jumped over to the CD - purchased a low mileage 2014. Had an A7 TDI and still have a Q5 TDI, so already went through those 3.0 settlements.

Interesting thing on this CD is that the original owner filed, but they traded it in before they had the fix done. So I went and registered tonight as the second owner, but I can't get a straight answer from PCNA or the Settlement chat person about compensation. I thought for the Audi side, we would have had to register before a certain date and then would be entitled to compensation divided by number of owners. Both PCNA and chat told me that I would have to have the fix done by Dec 31, 2019 to qualify. But qualify for what? If I missed the date for monetary compensation, all I would be getting is the fix done and then the 2 year extended warranty.

Was I lucky enough to find one without the fix and would be entitled to some money?

Thanks and looking forward to getting more involved here (same handle on other Euro forums).
Hi Amigo.

You have to own your CD for 3 months before they will give you a settlement amount. I recommend not filing until you've owned for 3 months. If you already registered, and you try to contact them every other week, they will give you some BS answer of "we're waiting to hear back from the previous owner to see if they are entitled to any settlement."

This is from my personal experience.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Eye4speed, the total compensation is set under the court settlement according to some formula. I believe it averages around $9000 per CD. Before the fix was approved at the end of last year, payment was set in two portions. The first half after the owner agrees to the settlement; the second half after the fix is approved by the court and the owner takes the CD and have it fixed. It looks to me, from your communications with the VW settlement people, that the original owner may have already agreed to the compensation and got the first half of the compensation before selling it to you. If that is the case, you won't get the second half until you bring the CD to a dealer to have the fix done. Likewise, if no fix was previously done, I believe you'll get the total amount after you take the CD for the fix (since the fix has been approved, the two step process is no longer necessary).

Remember that in addition to the VW part of the settlement, there is the "smaller" Bosh part of the settlement. Bosh just pays the total amount according to who filed for the VW settlement. There was no separate filing. If the prior owner already filed for the VW settlement, my gut feeling is that they already took the Bosh settlement
Old 03-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE51
You have to own your CD for 3 months before they will give you a settlement amount.
That's odd, I experienced no such thing. I bought my CD on 12/27/17 and started the paperwork 12/29, and was shown the settlement amount at that point. Document package was done 1/5, settlement package complete 1/11, and the fix was done a week later.

Eye4speed, as I understand it, yes, you're entitled to 1/2 the VW settlement amount once you complete the fix. Congrats!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:08 AM
VAG944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, now that I got all my cash! I really want my old dirty diesel back LOL........the drive-ability is crap and towing is much lower MPG.

What's best tuning option now (or before for that matter?) and do you think the new "fixes" would interfere with what tuners had as a program package before the fix!!??
Old 03-08-2018, 11:32 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by VAG944
So, now that I got all my cash! I really want my old dirty diesel back LOL........the drive-ability is crap and towing is much lower MPG.

What's best tuning option now (or before for that matter?) and do you think the new "fixes" would interfere with what tuners had as a program package before the fix!!??
Read this thread. Blue Spark has NOT adjusted it's tune for post fix.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14855301
Old 03-08-2018, 11:44 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a BlueSpark Pro box I bought used off an RL'er here. I paid $130 for it. Was going to run it but traded my '14 on a '15 and decided I just don't want to mess with warranty, etc. I'll sell it for what I paid for it if someone here is interested. It's just sitting on a shelf in my garage.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:00 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Kind of interesting reviews of the fix. Some of you guys say they almost don't feel any changes. Some say it has become crappy. Still holding out
Old 03-10-2018, 01:57 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Kind of interesting reviews of the fix. Some of you guys say they almost don't feel any changes. Some say it has become crappy. Still holding out
We are holding out as well for solid data beyond - it feels good or feels bad. The money Porsche is offering is not significant relative to what we have spent outfitting our Cayenne. As the 'fix' is not reversible we are not willing to take the risk.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
my hypothesis is that those who drive in a more aggressive manner, such as track driving enthusiasts like myself, would be the ones to notice a difference.

One 10 minute test drive on a “fixed”CD at the dealership was enough for me to realize I wouldn’t be happy with it. The massive torque was still there, but even in sport mode, there was too much delay coming to power when releasing the brakes at the apex of a turn during aggressive cornering moves. This was in stark contrast to the Touareg TDI I previously owned, which came to power just fine in sport mode.

Obviously such driving isn’t necessarily what a CD is built for, but at the end of the day, it’s still a Porsche, so I decided to stay with my 2014 CGTS and it’s epic (albeit thirsty) V8.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:23 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

...there was too much delay coming to power when releasing the brakes at the apex of a turn during aggressive cornering moves.
THIS^^^

Perfect description.. I've been trying to put that into to words for some time... However, I noticed when I first got my CD that it struggled with this already, but now it seems a bit worse, where the torque-converter delays too long and then kicks in hard at the wrong time and the whole motion ends-up all jerky. Plus the gear seems to be too high coming out of the turn, so the power is off. Definitely not what I expected out of a Porsche, especially when my previous truck (Nissan Xterra) would power around a corner like a champ.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:32 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Can't say that I've noticed that. I do notice that taking off from a stop, sometimes it doesn't give you the full power, that it hits later in first gear, about to change to second gear. That behavior goes away in sport mode though.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue