Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Mine seems to be running fine, '15 CD. I don't have a point of reference tho, as I bought it with the fix already been done to it.

No weird behavior, seems to be getting great mpg's, etc...
Old 02-04-2018, 04:21 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Still no big issues with either of ours.

The one thing I don't like is what I've decided to call the FD-*** (Fixed Diesel-Auto Start Stop) function for fixed diesels. Decelerating with the accelerator off, at 20 MPH, the transmission will disengage and the engine goes to idle. Typically happens in 3rd gear or lower; haven't seen it in higher gears. No big deal, in general, but if you need to get back on the gas quickly, there is more of a delay than I like. Examples... when I am returning to my house, I have to make a right turn half way down a medium hill, where traffic us usually moving about 30mph. As I coast down the hill and slow for the turn, at 20mph, the engine goes to idle and disengages from the tranny. After turning the corner, I'm usually too fast to trigger a downshift to 2nd, so getting back on the gas takes an uncomfortably long time to get sync'd and re-engaged. That's not really a big deal, but in other situations, where you need to merge, that delay can be uncomfortable. Roundabouts, for example, or if you make a rolling stop.... I've started paddling down to 2nd when that situation arises.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:30 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello skiahh,

I have a 2016 unpunched CD. May I ask what year is yours? On my 2016 CD it does not have *** (Auto Start Stop) function. I was not even aware it has *** on any of the CD.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by skiahh
Still no big issues with either of ours.

The one thing I don't like is what I've decided is the *** (Auto Start Stop) function for fixed diesels. Decelerating with the accelerator off, at 20 MPH, the transmission will disengage and the engine goes to idle. Typically happens in 3rd gear or lower; haven't seen it in higher gears. No big deal, in general, but if you need to get back on the gas quickly, there is more of a delay than I like. Examples... when I am returning to my house, I have to make a right turn half way down a medium hill, where traffic us usually moving about 30mph. As I coast down the hill and slow for the turn, at 20mph, the engine goes to idle and disengages from the tranny. After turning the corner, I'm usually too fast to trigger a downshift to 2nd, so getting back on the gas takes an uncomfortably long time to get sync'd and re-engaged. That's not really a big deal, but in other situations, where you need to merge, that delay can be uncomfortable. Roundabouts, for example, or if you make a rolling stop.... I've started paddling down to 2nd when that situation arises.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:33 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorrry, didn't write that clearly enough; the diesels don't have the ***.

We have a '14 and a '15.

It's an ***-like function I'm describing, not an actual ***. The engine does not turn off and restart... it just coasts, at idle, with the transmission disengaged.

I'm just likening it to *** because it seems like very similar software functioning.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:36 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Whew, got it now. LOL. Thank you for the prompt response.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by skiahh
That's my point, the diesels don't have the ***. We have a '14 and a '15.

It's an ***-like function I'm describing, not an actual ***. The engine does not turn off and restart... it just coasts, at idle, with the transmission disengaged.

I'm just likening it to *** because it seems like very similar software functioning.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Any more updates on how the fix is behaving nowadays? Thanks
It's OK. It sounds like most of the other 3.0L diesel's around, and the transmission tuning feels a little less "special". Mileage is still excellent. I'm crying all the way to the bank.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the replies. So far, it looks the 15-16 are less affected than the 13-14. It was my understanding that the hardware changes for the 13-14 bought them in par with the 15-16. I guess there are still some differences between 13-14 to those 15-16. Maybe we, the 13-14 owners, are a bit more sensitive?
Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

IMO it's one of three things:
  • Installer differences - the dealer doing the work does something wrong, incomplete, etc.
  • Manufacturing tolerances are wide (perhaps especially on the 13's and 14's tho I think we've had at least one guy here with a 15+ also complaining) such that the update affects certain vehicles more adversely than others
  • Hyper-sensitive owners, or owners subject to "placebo effect"
I put 35,000 miles on my 2014, ~2500 of those "post fix". I did not notice much, if any, difference between pre- and post-fix once fully warmed up. If I did notice anything, it was subtle enough it could be placebo. I was *looking* for differences... entirely possible the things I "never noticed before" were there before, I just wasn't looking for them. And those "things" are mostly limited to a little more diesel clatter when cold. (And there WERE odd/random times, even in warm weather, pre-fix, my '14 would have a sudden CLACK-CLACK-CLACK out of nowhere when rolling through a parking lot, that would last a second or less....)

I traded my "fixed" 2014 on a 7,500 mile 2015. Before I did the trade, I test drove a different 9,600 mile 2015.

All 3 drove *identically*. *Exactly* the same. Cold or warm.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:18 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

2013 CD fixed in early Dec 2017. I have ~5,000 miles post fix (~60,000 miles total). I've become accustomed to the new transmission map when the engine is cold (for me this is approx. < ~110degF oil temp). I'm fine with it as it is basically unchanged from original once it is warm. Fuel economy and power seem to be same as pre-fix. Still waiting on Bosch to get their stuff corrected for my last $750 though ... ugh.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I will also add, I had my fix done 12/12/2017 on my 2016, and after all this time, I can't tell one single difference with anything. Absolutely nothing.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I will also add, I had my fix done 12/12/2017 on my 2016, and after all this time, I can't tell one single difference with anything. Absolutely nothing.
I remember the torque converter locking up in 2nd gear, and it typically shifting below 2000 rpm.. Now it's 3rd, and holds the gears a little longer. Yours doesn't do that? Perhaps I need to force a relearn...
Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
I remember the torque converter locking up in 2nd gear, and it typically shifting below 2000 rpm.. Now it's 3rd, and holds the gears a little longer. Yours doesn't do that? Perhaps I need to force a relearn...

For real, I get in, turn the key, start, put it in D-for Dump, and go. The truck just scoots along, either in city traffic or on the highway, towing or now towing, and I don't notice a single, solitary thing with anything in either the transmission or the shifting or the engine and what it is doing. I've been towing my snowmobile/snowbike trailer at least once a week for a 250 mile round trip and haven't noticed anything pulling the admittedly light trailer and its load but again, my brakes are not being pressed any more than before or that I need Fred Flintstones feet through the floorboards to slow everything down any more than pre-fix.

Sport mode is still sport mode and I can go from 0-huge speeding ticket in seconds, in any gear, whether I'm on the road or on the dirt. All the power is still there, no question about it.

I'll admit, I always have some choice tunes on with the Bose system tuned just right, but I am blissfully unaware of whatever it is the truck is doing and could not care less. The CD runs perfect, still gets me great MPG, and I think a lot of it is that I have other things to worry about like driving up north, into the snowstorm we are getting, so I can go snowbiking tomorrow with my brother in law. I think it helps that the CD is not the only thing I have to spend all my time worrying about shift points and rpm's and what the transmission is or is not doing or if the engine sounds louder at idle when it is cold, or if it is 20 degrees Farenheit or 0-F.

For me, the truck is every bit as enjoyable now as it was before the fix. Some can't move on. Some want dyno charts when they wouldn't know if they lost 20-HP and 20 fl lbs or torque if it punched them square in the nose, spit in their face and drop kicked them in the nuts but they still worry about it-that is their prerogative and not a problem. People are free to worry about whatever it is they want to wring their hands over all they want. I can understand as their Cayenne is all they have to obsess over. I'm glad I'm not that way.

Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by BenCD; 02-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:33 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Agreed. My CD works perfectly as far as I can tell.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:19 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

skiahh, agree with: What Porsche does with CPO - tack on or overlay - is entirely up to them and has absolutely nothing to do with the settlement.

when it effects our resale value and it all stemed from their negligence....well, I think we are hurt down stream. Most won't care as they will in and out of their CD's before the warranty is over but if I were buying a used CD I would look for one that was under warranty.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:50 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

It looks like I made more $$ (the VW cash) by buying the CD instead of the GC diesel (as I initially planned back in 2013):

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar179722.html

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue