Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Omni, you got the '15?! Congrats!! I'm super envious!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:49 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Omni, you got the '15?! Congrats!! I'm super envious!
Yeah.

I'm weak.

LOL

F'n LOVE this thing though. Not that I didn't love my '14 - this one more or less drives the same (power wise, engine/trans characteristics it's 100% identical) - but I just SO much prefer the black interior. And while the silver does not photograph well (I completely skipped over it when I was surfing their site) but seeing it in person, I actually really like it. And with the warranty I'm going to drive the sh*t out of it. Will be a good guinea pig to test the longevity of these things.

Spent my commute this morning flipping between audio tracks. Some stuff sounds amazing on the Burmester. Some definitely does not. Downside of a high-end system, poor recordings sound extra poor when compared to how they sounded on the Bose.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:57 AM
jhott66
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,
Looks like I may be joining the conversation a little bit late but I'll jump in anyway. Two weeks ago we bought a '15 Cayenne diesel from local dealer. It was a service loaner vehicle and has a bit more than normal service loaner miles: 14,100. Still not bad.
We did not get a "Statement of certification" for CPO either. Interesting.
We clearly have (at least it was clear to us two weeks ago) a 6yr/100,000 mile "extended" warranty. My understanding is this is the "CPO". But I am reading on here some different interpretations of the warranty so I am curious what is going on.
The 6 years starts at the "in service date" of mid June 2015. When we bought the car we were given an option of buying an "extended warranty" sold directly by Porsche, not some aftermarket extended warranty coverage. The price was $2250ish for an additional 2 years and the same 100,000 mile limit. We passed on the warranty figuring that we had enough coverage.

So far the Cayenne is very nice. My wife is the main driver of the car to and from her work. She is getting about 26 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. It's comfortable and handles pretty good for a "truck". She is not sure about the torque lag at throttle "tip-in". There is a pretty dramatic delay in throttle response when you don't come to a complete stop at an intersection, or similar, and then "tip in" to the throttle. The S and Turbo we drove for comparison had similar "tip in" delays but the diesel was the most pronounced. Considering all the amount of torque at low engine speed and the 8 speed transmission, the amount of torque management in this driving condition is interesting. I guess it's a "ride quality" decision the transmission calibrators made. I am hoping with one thousand miles, or so, of driving the transmission adaptives will learn to her and her throttle application habits. We'll see.
Overall, we're pretty happy with it and we'll see how it performs in the coming years.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Yeah.

I'm weak.

LOL

F'n LOVE this thing though. Not that I didn't love my '14 - this one more or less drives the same (power wise, engine/trans characteristics it's 100% identical) - but I just SO much prefer the black interior. And while the silver does not photograph well (I completely skipped over it when I was surfing their site) but seeing it in person, I actually really like it. And with the warranty I'm going to drive the sh*t out of it. Will be a good guinea pig to test the longevity of these things.
Spent my commute this morning flipping between audio tracks. Some stuff sounds amazing on the Burmester. Some definitely does not. Downside of a high-end system, poor recordings sound extra poor when compared to how they sounded on the Bose.
Very "classy" looking color. Silver looks right on all things German. When my CD goes in on the 17th for window film, the shop is going to quote me for a stealthy sub upgrade in the left rear panel to replace the factory Bose sub, which isn't doing ****e. Hopefully between that and the Ferarri JBL tweeter upgrade, I'll be able to get some acceptable sound out of the Blose? But still, I NEVER want to listen to something in your CD - I'd hate to be disappointed when I get back in mine!

on the new ride. The LED headlights are awesome too.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Very "classy" looking color. Silver looks right on all things German. When my CD goes in on the 17th for window film, the shop is going to quote me for a stealthy sub upgrade in the left rear panel to replace the factory Bose sub, which isn't doing ****e. Hopefully between that and the Ferarri JBL tweeter upgrade, I'll be able to get some acceptable sound out of the Blose? But still, I NEVER want to listen to something in your CD - I'd hate to be disappointed when I get back in mine!

on the new ride. The LED headlights are awesome too.
Ya the LED headlights are one of the small things I love. My '14 had *halogens* so this is a MASSIVE upgrade. LED interior package with the "mood lighting" is a nice touch too.

I'm usually very anti-Bose. Godawful. But the Bose system in the Cayenne is actually pretty good. Actually it seems Bose is vehicle-dependent. It sounds good in the Cayenne, it was good in my 2015 GMC Sierra. It's awful in my wife's 2015 Boxter, was awful in my old Chevy Avalanche and both my old Audis. In my previous CD, with the Bose, the highs fell apart and it became tough to listen to at high volume.... killing the treble a tick or three helps but then it sounded flat. But really, that IS nit-picking, especially in a car where road noise changes things anyways. Overall I was impressed, given previous Bose systems and how bad they sounded.

But the Burmester is 100% a big step up and was immediately apparent 10 seconds into listening. I'll admit it's what really swayed me. The warranty got me in the door "just to look" but giving the audio system a listen, all I could think of was, "Dammit... I'm gonna buy this stupid thing..." I happened to have one of my favorite discs to demo with me - Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" on DVD-Audio (excellent source to use for demos BTW).
Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Trying to line up clearbra install and front window tints sometime in the coming days.

Buddy of mine saw my '15.... next day (Saturday) he went to the same dealer "just to look." He's going back with his wife today LOL. So I'm gonna see about a "2-fer" on the tints/bra once he brings his home...
Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Hopefully between that and the Ferarri JBL tweeter upgrade,
I actually saw your plea in that other thread about these, looking for somebody to "go in" on a 2nd pair. I was actually considering it and had a PM drafted to you, but didn't send it since, at that time, I was on the fence about buying the '15....

Will be interested to see how much of an improvement it actually makes. For the money it's worth a shot.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

wogamax, thanks for the link.

Reading that article reinforces something I posted over a year ago about Matthias, he needs to step down.
I would love to see Porsche separate from VAG, become a brand for enthusiasts.

Others have said they won't buy another Porsche due to this. I've been looking at a GT3 RS and I have to say after watching the documentary, reading these articles, and participating in this dialog, I don't think I can. I'm not a green guy or environmentalist but I hate bullying or people who think they are above the rules or law.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:51 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

https://www.yahoo.com/news/german-ca...143135520.html
Old 01-29-2018, 04:25 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Yeah.

I'm weak.
But did you get anything definitive about the "extra" warranty?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
But did you get anything definitive about the "extra" warranty?
See what I posted above, few posts back.

FWIW another local dealer (different from where I bought mine) is now also offering 8/unlimited on their unsold CD inventory. Have a friend over there now.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:10 PM
JRoach
Racer

MJG911,

I had to look away at the point in the documentary regarding the monkey testing. I understand pharma well, I understand the need to burn through animals for testing with justification. No justification for Porsche.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Joe
Old 01-29-2018, 05:18 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

human testing too
Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 PM
JRoach
Racer

MJG911,

One of the people in the documentary drew a comparison between Porsche's gassing humans for this proposed test and the Holocaust.

They knew about this in 2013 (maybe earlier). They intentionally delayed, obstructed and lied to us. They calculated the cost and felt we were expendable or didn't matter. In the early days of this thread I was somewhat neutral about the argument people were making about CART and the US governments heavy handed ways.

I'm afraid I sold out too soon. I now regret getting the fix.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:25 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

See what I posted above, few posts back.

FWIW another local dealer (different from where I bought mine) is now also offering 8/unlimited on their unsold CD inventory. Have a friend over there now.
So.... no?

Looking at that document, it says the pre-owned warranty is 18.Apr.2019 to 17.Apr.2021. Looks like 6 years to me. Doesn't even seem to have any indication of the settlement warranty on there, either.

Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue