Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 728 Posts

wow - is it really that bad post fix? I test drove a fixed CD and ended up buying a used one with a $77k msrp for $45k and thought it drove fine. I 'guess' I'm lucky to not be spoiled by a pre-fixed CD and I also cant taste the difference between Perrier and La Croix

People here make it sound like the fixed CD is a garbage POS, which is amusing
Old 03-26-2018, 12:54 PM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BenCD
I feel for the guys that now have a CD that they feel is a real POS post-fix. That has to scuk and scuk pretty badly.

I read about the unhappiness and disappointment and think, 'Wow, I'm sure glad that that did not happen to my 2016 CD.'

I'm one of the lucky ones that post-fix, I notice no difference. The CD tows my new 3,500lb trailer perfectly, new Electric brakes and Prodigy P3 controller working to slow the load down, easy-peasy. I get 15 mpg towing and saw up to 22 mpg on 30-45 mph roads. It is highway that lowers the MPG.

Then, when empty and an average of 72 mph, I see 29 mpg and when pushed to an average 77mph, got 27 mpg-still nigh-on incredible. Power is all there, just an awesome truck that can still tow up to 7,700 lbs and tow it very well. If I test drove my truck I'd buy it again as there is nothing else like it out there.

The great thing is that now that the trucks have been approved for resale, there are a lot more of them available, used with an average price of about $60K so prices are still holding up.
Originally Posted by chsu74
LOL. Prove it.
Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
wow - is it really that bad post fix? I test drove a fixed CD and ended up buying a used one with a $77k msrp for $45k and thought it drove fine. I 'guess' I'm lucky to not be spoiled by a pre-fixed CD and I also cant taste the difference between Perrier and La Croix

Definitely not a POS just different than what it was. You got a great deal!
Old 03-26-2018, 01:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
This post motivated me to drive a "fixed" CD. I ran up to the local dealer this morning with my pre-fix '14 and drove a used '15 CD ready for sale. I noticed the hold on 3rd gear, which was ok, as it didn't feel harsh. That being said, the CD drove like absolutely nothing special. I didn't feel much power and the sprinkle of playfulness in my '14 is completely gone. Sport mode didn't help much either. If I take myself back to my original test drives of the Cayenne, which included a V8 powered S and the Diesel, the Diesel felt almost as fun as the V8, with 50% better fuel economy. It was no-brainer. I've driven some newer pre-fixed loaner Diesels that were also much more fun to drive than the fixed '15.
The real proof was in my ride home in the '14, which began with the same route as the test in the '15. No comparison. I felt the '14 was much more eager to accelerate.
I would have to say if my original test drive was in a fixed Diesel, I would have passed and bought the V8.
I will try for another drive, in a different car, but I have to confirm BoersID observation... a different, less fun car to drive.
How long did you drive it for? It would need a pretty long test drive to ensure it's fully warmed up.

Originally Posted by BenCD
I feel for the guys that now have a CD that they feel is a real POS post-fix. That has to scuk and scuk pretty badly.

I read about the unhappiness and disappointment and think, 'Wow, I'm sure glad that that did not happen to my 2016 CD.'

I'm one of the lucky ones that post-fix, I notice no difference. The CD tows my new 3,500lb trailer perfectly, new Electric brakes and Prodigy P3 controller working to slow the load down, easy-peasy. I get 15 mpg towing and saw up to 22 mpg on 30-45 mph roads. It is highway that lowers the MPG.

Then, when empty and an average of 72 mph, I see 29 mpg and when pushed to an average 77mph, got 27 mpg-still nigh-on incredible. Power is all there, just an awesome truck that can still tow up to 7,700 lbs and tow it very well. If I test drove my truck I'd buy it again as there is nothing else like it out there.

The great thing is that now that the trucks have been approved for resale, there are a lot more of them available, used with an average price of about $60K so prices are still holding up.
Ditto.

Once *fully* warmed up - I notice zero difference. And between the two I've owned ('14 and '15), plus numerous loaners and test drives, pre- and post-fix, ... none of them have driven significantly differently to me.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:33 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Ditto.

Once *fully* warmed up - I notice zero difference. And between the two I've owned ('14 and '15), plus numerous loaners and test drives, pre- and post-fix, ... none of them have driven significantly differently to me.[/QUOTE]

On the chance that my test vehicle was not fully warmed up, that is good to know. I'm going to talk to the service manager next and stay away from the sales team.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=OmniGLH;14897219]How long did you drive it for? It would need a pretty long test drive to ensure it's fully warmed up.

No doubt, I need to drive another car. It was about 8 miles...your typical test drive with a salesman who was empathetic, but complaining about the dealership- not a happy employee. The test drive was a non-event until I drove over the same route with my pre fix '14 and felt a more eager, spritely CD. The net takeaway to all is to test drive, test drive and test drive until you know what you are getting.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

It definitely takes a bit of driving on mine, when following a cold start, to really return to normal.

The average "couple mile" test drive, I would not expect it to be enough.

See if you can land one for an afternoon. Maybe your dealer still has one in their service loaner fleet?
Old 03-26-2018, 01:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I guess in this case, I'm fortunate that I live out in the sticks. Just about everywhere aside from coffee (Starbucks and Dunkin' went in a few years ago) is a bit of a drive, and everything is 50+ mph speed limit.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:53 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
It definitely takes a bit of driving on mine, when following a cold start, to really return to normal.

The average "couple mile" test drive, I would not expect it to be enough.

See if you can land one for an afternoon. Maybe your dealer still has one in their service loaner fleet?
Good idea. Will see if one is around.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I know when the "fix" first hit, I was also really worried about the performance impact. I have a decent relationship with my dealer and talked to them about it (they were actually curious about the impact of it too.) They promised to call me when they took a fixed one in on trade, said they'd let me take it for a few hours to really evaluate it.

Now granted, I wound up just fixing mine, and (luckily?) it was totally fine - so no need to take them up on their offer. But I imagine the sales manager might be open to it if you ask. Especially since he probably has people coming in and asking.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:12 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Good idea. Will see if one is around.
Believe you are local. I live in Greenwich but am leaving for overseas trip back to back until end of April. Will be around mid April for one weekend only. You are more than welcome to drive my CD for comparison. PM me.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:25 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Would you have bought it at $75K+ in 2013-14 if it felt the same as the BMW, Mercedes or Jeep?

Granted there are some new 15-16 buyers who really wanted a CD and were annoyed at the stop sale. But I bet the majority would not have considered a fixed 15-16 CD but for the discount (I am going to remove the word heavy). Again, my point is that current new buyers knew what they are getting. Owners of 13-14-early 15 CD know how good the pre-fix is. We are basically given $10K to go away while everyone is happy to pocket their $$$$$$ of money (the EPA, CARB, states, "our" lawyers)
It is still a good value at $69K at 8% off MSRP of $75K. That was the going price for a CD in 2015 before the stop sale. Now your cost basis is $59K after $10K from VW. Don't believe a X5D or ML350 Bluetec can be had for $59K new.

Even with the fix, which is the best performing diesel SUV today? RR sport diesel is comparable but that is nowhere near $69K new.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:27 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Believe you are local. I live in Greenwich but am leaving for overseas trip back to back until end of April. Will be around mid April for one weekend only. You are more than welcome to drive my CD for comparison. PM me.
That would be terrific. I live in Stamford and I'm in Greenwich almost every weekend. Drive mine at the same time. We can report back to the group here on our findings. Truth be told, if I didn't like the car so much, I wouldn't care and just collect the loot. Lets do this.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:31 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

That would be terrific. I live in Stamford and I'm in Greenwich almost every weekend. Drive mine at the same time. We can report back to the group here on our findings. Truth be told, if I didn't like the car so much, I wouldn't care and just collect the loot. Lets do this.
PLEASE report back with as much detail as possible!

I suggested doing something similar months ago. Happily extend the offer to any CD'er in the NW burbs of Chicago to do the same if you think yours has problems.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:33 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

That would be terrific. I live in Stamford and I'm in Greenwich almost every weekend. Drive mine at the same time. We can report back to the group here on our findings. Truth be told, if I didn't like the car so much, I wouldn't care as much and just collect the loot. PM me, lets do this.
PM coming. I was not planning to fix my CD until the very end but got a CEL on the NOx sensor a month back. Dealership told me that they prefer to do the fix and not fight PCNA on replacing the NOx sensor at their expense for a non fixed vehicle. Certainly crossed my fingers on the fix and I am happy that it worked out for my car.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser

No, not a POS at all. Still a very nice car.

If the trend on mine continues, however, I'll have to admit it's no better than the X5d, M320 Bluetec and even Jeep. Ok, it's much nicer than the Jeep in all ways except off road capability.

My concern is the safety issue that this presents. The mid-speed roll on acceleration just isn't there. Can it be compensated for? Still learning. Is mine still changing? Don't know. I haven't had a chance to take it back in, either, to have them look at it to see if it's fix related or just needs a transmission flush and fill or something.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue