Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 10:41 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just a note that the tcm mod per club Touareg does not affect CA emissions check. There was some rumor mongering that it did
Old 09-09-2021, 10:16 AM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Taking my 2013 CD in next week for some timing chain rattle on warm/hot starts. Hoping my local dealership can 1) agree that the noise is not normal and 2) not give me a runaround about the "whole longblock" part of the extended warranty. TBD!
Old 09-09-2021, 10:38 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brake_L8
Taking my 2013 CD in next week for some timing chain rattle on warm/hot starts. Hoping my local dealership can 1) agree that the noise is not normal and 2) not give me a runaround about the "whole longblock" part of the extended warranty. TBD!
When I took our in for a oil leak in the rear main seal area, service advisor was downright rude and condescending and said that I didn't know what I was talking about. He was so confident that no emissions warranty would ever cover an oil leak that he refused to read the Diesel Emissions Extended Warranty printout I gave him. After a few minutes of escalating tension, he read it and realized his mistake and his face turned bright red......
Good luck.

John

Last edited by jbse39; 09-09-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:48 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Has anyone gotten warranty work done specifically due to the timing chain rattle?

I thought that was generally dismissed as "normal"?
Old 09-09-2021, 11:50 AM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Has anyone gotten warranty work done specifically due to the timing chain rattle?

Some searching has found a few people who claimed they got a new tensioner, which solved the problem. I will happily drive it around the way it is and change the oil every 5k miles, but I want the noise logged at my current age/mileage so that if a problem crops up down the road, I have documentation that Porsche said "we heard it and dismissed it." I'm big on CYA type of stuff. It may be fine, but if the motor lunches a timing chain 10k miles from now, I want a history behind it so that warranty can be put to use.
The following users liked this post:
Rupert16 (09-27-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 01:09 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope

Mine was noted and ignored, even though they were doing the timing chain cover leak repair.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:45 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Update here, took the Cayenne in last Friday and the service advisor and his technician both listened to the noise in-person and what I had recorded on my phone. "It's normal and it's because of injectors" was the line I got. I asked the advisor to note this in my file so when the engine grenaded it was on record that those two dismissed the concern.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:47 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello,
Seems like Porsche Nth America just want our Diesels to go away.
My 14 Mercedes E550 Cab has the same type of issue, both in the 4.7 bi-turbo V8 and the V6 motors.
At least Mercedes has a fix, replacing the tensioners and installing a check valve, this is a well known issue and gets remedied with out to much flak.
Like one gentleman has mentioned changing the oil very regularly, myself living in Canada I do it about every 5000 klm’s, gets me out in my garage.
I’m in the process of assembling parts to install a pre oiler operated at accessory switch #1 before starting.
I will locate the pressure bottle & solenoid on the driver’s side of the engine compartment, just behind the head light area, then pickup the oil ingress & egress from the oil filter.
A little hassle but should prevent the timing chain rattle.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Melonppan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that PCNA wants our CD gone. I brought my 2016 in to check the oil leak and got a rundown of what’s covered under emission warranty and bunch of potential cost to diagnose/fix the oil leak.

not sure if I want to spend $5-8k and decide that over 2 minute phone call from service advisor. I was aware they is oil leak but they can’t confirm until the tech looks into it deeper. This is crazy talk to me and expect to hear from Indy shop than reputable Porsche dealer.

I expected better from Porsche service but I’m frustrated to say the least, I never have this issue with my other petroleum Porsche cars. I may need to contact PCNA directly.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:39 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ad Blue Spray Nozzle Gel?

Over the life of my 2015 CD I have pretty much maintained the Ad Blue level myself. I use AdBlue from a VW dealer and from an Audi dealer and Peak Blue DEF depending on which is most convenient. The CD now has 85K miles. Five days ago I topped up Ad Blue tank. While highway driving the next day the engine emission icon lit up and 20 miles later the dire AdBlue warning popped up saying 200 miles left before the engine would not restart. Usually that warning starts at 1000 miles. About 5K miles ago in June of this year the dealer recalibrated the AdBlue tank level sensor when it started the 1000 mile count down while having 60% fluid in the tank and the condition would not clear after I filled the tank.
I left the CD at the dealer with 80 miles left on the countdown and a service tech finally looked at it yesterday. The initial finding is that the AdBlue tank level is at 90% and there was some gel in the AdBlue spray nozzle. The tech cleaned the nozzle; they are still diagnosing the problem.
Has anybody had gel in the AdBlue spray nozzle and can it be caused by poor quality DEF?
Old 10-09-2021, 02:42 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

I had similar experience with the countdown.
Diagnosis was a sensor. Covered.

But, I have never heard of a poor quality of DEF.

Keep us posted
Old 10-09-2021, 02:55 PM
Melonppan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suspect crystallized sensor in def tank. I had no issues with quality of def fluid before.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:47 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Regarding gel in the DEF spray nozzle, my dealer has concluded it was due to impurities in the Peak Blue DEF. The tech cleaned out the nozzle, drained the AdBlue tank and installed Porsche branded DEF. He then tested the spray pattern to confirm it was in spec.
Not a warranty issue.
FWIW I noticed the Porsche DEF part KKSDF124519 is made in Canada from domestic and imported ingredients, Audi/VW AdBlue G052910A2 is made in Germany and I think Peak has more than one plant in the US.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:48 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

As a prospective Cayenne owner, mad shoutout to everyone who has commented here as it has really helped me understand the differences between the fix, the fix to the fix, TCU, etc etc.

One thing that concerns me is the high-temperature/humidity performance issues that are commonly cited here. Obviously it's very difficult to describe something like driving dynamics over the internet, so in attempts to better understand just how bad the performance hit at high temperature is, how many of you would trade your Cayenne D for a VR6 in a straight swap, everything else the same?

The price difference between the CD and the VR6 is essentially $0 in todays crazy car market, so this is basically the choice I am currently making.

Last edited by Dubbed743; 10-15-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:50 AM
Leadfoot_mf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbed743
As a prospective Cayenne owner, mad shoutout to everyone who has commented here as it has really helped me understand the differences between the fix, the fix to the fix, TCU, etc etc.

One thing that concerns me is the high-temperature/humidity performance issues that are commonly cited here. Obviously it's very difficult to describe something like driving dynamics over the internet, so in attempts to better understand just how bad the performance hit at high temperature is, how many of you would trade your Cayenne D for a VR6 in a straight swap, everything else the same?

The price difference between the CD and the VR6 is essentially $0 in todays crazy car market, so this is basically the choice I am currently making.
zero percent chance.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue