Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:34 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Funny thing is, right after the fix, it seemed fine. Quick shifts, power on demand, etc.

Now, 3 months on... not so much. I haven't been traveling much, so I wonder if it's just the learning stuff and my driving around town only?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Has anyone noticed any changes in shifting and/or throttle mapping after a few months/miles?

My '15 seems to be getting very laggy in rolling shifts/accelerations; worst in 3rd gear, but noticeable in others. Examples: (1) Foot off the accelerator going downhill and make a left turn onto another street. Press the accelerator and it's a good 3-5 seconds before the power comes back on. No biggie there, really. (2) Rolling up to make a left turn across traffic. See an opening as you're slowing for a stop and go for it. Press the accelerator and when the power doesn't come on immediately, wonder if you've made a potentially fatal mistake. (3) Rolling up to a roundabout, slowing, checking for traffic. Tight roundabouts around here, so you're not whipping around them fast anyway, but you see enough of a gap and press the accelerator... and wait, wondering if you're going to make your merge safely. (4) Merging into traffic, starting from moderate speed... same thing. Have to anticipate the 3-5 second delay before the power comes on.
Yup, I have. There's one fun turn on my commute - It's a downhill right turn changing streets. Get all the braking done, and as soon as I initiate turn in, put my foot in the throttle.. The CD "coasts" through the corner and the power comes on after the apex. It's annoying. Really annoying. (I keep forgetting to try manual shifting or sport mode to see if that helps)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:51 AM
VAG944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Yup, I have. There's one fun turn on my commute - It's a downhill right turn changing streets. Get all the braking done, and as soon as I initiate turn in, put my foot in the throttle.. The CD "coasts" through the corner and the power comes on after the apex. It's annoying. Really annoying. (I keep forgetting to try manual shifting or sport mode to see if that helps)
Sport mode helps...........but not by much, manual shifting seems to be the only way around it.....very annoying! I want my dirty diesel back. :P
Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Yeah, I have the same issue as multiple people have mentioned, but sometimes when it comes back to power it engages hard and jerks... I've also started to notice more often that I'll stop at a stoplight, be there for a few seconds, and then suddenly the truck lunges forward as if someone had bumped me from behind. I believe it's downshifting slow, and I'm at a complete stop before it actually shifts to 1st... Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:56 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

On the turn from one street to another, it's annoying. In a roundabout or merging, it is a safety issue.

Typically, when the power comes back on, my foot is so far down on the accelerator, it revs, blows past turbo lag and goes to town. That's good for the merge... but not anywhere else!

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
Yeah, I have the same issue as multiple people have mentioned, but sometimes when it comes back to power it engages hard and jerks... I've also started to notice more often that I'll stop at a stoplight, be there for a few seconds, and then suddenly the truck lunges forward as if someone had bumped me from behind. I believe it's downshifting slow, and I'm at a complete stop before it actually shifts to 1st... Has anyone else noticed this?
Haven't noticed any lunges while stopping. In fact, quite the opposite, as I've posted before. In 3rd, decelerating with your foot on the brake, the engine and transmission will disengage at 20mpg with the RPMs dropping to idle and remaining there until accelerating again. From a stop, it seems pretty normal, if maybe a bit slower than pre-fix mapping, but no real issue; not even at the annoyance level. It's the rolling slow/stop to acceleration that's becoming an issue on mine.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
I've also started to notice more often that I'll stop at a stoplight, be there for a few seconds, and then suddenly the truck lunges forward as if someone had bumped me from behind. I believe it's downshifting slow, and I'm at a complete stop before it actually shifts to 1st... Has anyone else noticed this?
My '13 CD does this in the cold especially. Also the engagement is spotty going from reverse to drive after backing down my driveway hill. Dealer cannot reproduce it though. However, it happened before the fix so I think it is a separate issue.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
My '13 CD does this in the cold especially. Also the engagement is spotty going from reverse to drive after backing down my driveway hill. Dealer cannot reproduce it though. However, it happened before the fix so I think it is a separate issue.

If you mean that slight surge that sometimes happens after you take off your foot from the brake, then it is pre-fix. You'll find this behavior in all Audi 3.0 tdi cars, at least from what I read around the Internet
Old 03-20-2018, 09:18 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
If you mean that slight surge that sometimes happens after you take off your foot from the brake, then it is pre-fix. You'll find this behavior in all Audi 3.0 tdi cars, at least from what I read around the Internet
Happens with foot on the brake. Thank goodness brakes are designed to be more powerful than the drivetrain. I can see how some people have reported runaway cars with this funky thing going on.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

My CD is also slow to engage from D to R or from R to D. I have to make a point of it to just be patient and wait for the gear(s) to engage.

I never think it has anything to do with the "fix" rather just the way the Aisin 8 is designed.

I also notice the hesitation at times but for the most part have gotten used to it and put it out of my mind.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:07 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

^ I also experienced gearbox disengagement while in drive after braking at a freeway entrance ramp. Not fun at all waiting almost 2-3 seconds to see what happens next. Finally moved shifting lever from D to N and back to D..
Old 03-20-2018, 01:40 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I've never noticed any disengagement, even when pulling the trailer at 3,500lbs.

Only the time it takes for the gearbox to go from Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive, but this is pretty much with all x-missions.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BenCD
I've never noticed any disengagement, even when pulling the trailer at 3,500lbs.

Only the time it takes for the gearbox to go from Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive, but this is pretty much with all x-missions.
I noticed the R/D or D/R lag pre-fix, so I agree it's not fix related. More of a longevity thing, I think, since I tend to move the lever before the vehicle has stopped moving to go the other direction.

I noticed today the engine/tranny disengage happens with foot off the accelerator, not just on the brake. Just another data point.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts
Default Am I getting the runaround?

I asked about the warranty on a particular Cayenne Diesel. The Sales guy sent me this and said the warranty goes until 12/22/2024 (10 years!) How can this be? Underneath, it says out to 12/22/2020. Sales guys doesn't really know. Can someone please help me understand what's covered out to 2024 vs out to 2020?
Old 03-20-2018, 07:44 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ Maybe 10 years reflects the limited power train "fix" warranty??
Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 AM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiahh
Has anyone noticed any changes in shifting and/or throttle mapping after a few months/miles?

My '15 seems to be getting very laggy in rolling shifts/accelerations; worst in 3rd gear, but noticeable in others. Examples: (1) Foot off the accelerator going downhill and make a left turn onto another street. Press the accelerator and it's a good 3-5 seconds before the power comes back on. No biggie there, really. (2) Rolling up to make a left turn across traffic. See an opening as you're slowing for a stop and go for it. Press the accelerator and when the power doesn't come on immediately, wonder if you've made a potentially fatal mistake. (3) Rolling up to a roundabout, slowing, checking for traffic. Tight roundabouts around here, so you're not whipping around them fast anyway, but you see enough of a gap and press the accelerator... and wait, wondering if you're going to make your merge safely. (4) Merging into traffic, starting from moderate speed... same thing. Have to anticipate the 3-5 second delay before the power comes on.

I'm going to schedule an appointment for it, and have them take a hard look at the transmission, but it seems that it's not just transmission, but throttle mapping, too. Sport mode seems to help, but not completely.

Haven't had much time in my wife's '14 to see if it's doing the same thing and will be checking that this week.
Sorry to hear that, I am gonna try to wait out as long as I can before get it fixed. I am still waiting for my 1/2 of the Bosch money too...

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue