Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 10:18 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Wife could care less about the way it shifts and the cayenne is the only car she drives, so can't have it down any time.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:17 PM
alpinpoodle
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed yktreg's TCM flash on my 2015 CD last night and can confirm it completely transforms the drivability of the car.

I hadn't driven a pre-fix car when I ordered my CPO CD sight unseen and after driving it for 1k miles I was pretty disappointed with the drivability; late shifts which were exacerbated when cold, no engine braking, what seemed like poor or incomplete lock-up of the torque converter. With the TCM flash the car shifts MUCH earlier and the shifts feel quicker and crisper; much closer to the feel of a PDK than the slushy feel of the post-fix TCM. Engine braking works now. Sport mode is beast mode now. The car finally feels how I would have expected it to feel in the first place!

There is still a hesitation off the line and from a rolling stop, which I attribute to the AKB6 ECU, but it's improved. I'll wait until the CPO warranty expires before I take the plunge with the Malone Stage 1 since it's perfectly drivable now.

Last edited by alpinpoodle; 11-10-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:29 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

How did you reset the codes/warnings? Battery disconnect or something else?
Old 11-10-2020, 04:36 PM
alpinpoodle
Track Day

It was a fresh TCM (still have the stock unit). It didn't trigger any lights but I need to have it scanned by my indy to see if there are any latent codes (don't have PIWIS). I couldn't do the battery disconnect since like an idiot I parked it too close to the wall on the driver's side to get more room to work on the TCM. I did the accelerator reset (not convinced if it did anything) before I started it. I've driven it around today with no issues.

Last edited by alpinpoodle; 11-10-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:57 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinpoodle
It was a fresh TCM (still have the stock unit). It didn't trigger any lights but I need to have it scanned by my indy to see if there are any latent codes (don't have PIWIS). I couldn't do the battery disconnect since like an idiot I parked it too close to the wall on the driver's side to get more room to work on the TCM. I did the accelerator reset (not convinced if it did anything) before I started it. I've driven it around today with no issues.
So you bought a new TCM, then sent it in to get it flashed? How much was a new one? I've been considering this with mine that still has 10mos of CPO left.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:43 PM
alpinpoodle
Track Day

Originally Posted by vwbrd
So you bought a new TCM, then sent it in to get it flashed? How much was a new one? I've been considering this with mine that still has 10mos of CPO left.
Even easier... He happened to have a flashed TCM for the '15 Cayenne in his stock so I bought that one from him and kept my stock unit as a backup, in case I ever get paranoid with the dealership during the course of my CPO term. As of a week ago I know he had at least one other Cayenne TCM stock (for a '14 I believe), so it would be worth asking him before you buy one. I paid $650 including shipping for the pre-flashed new TCM. If you send in your old TCM he will flash it for $250 including the return shipping.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:10 PM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just logged in to see if anyone had done the malone and doesn't look like many have.

Nice day but the bugs were thick. Gary always ran a tight ship and sorry to see him leave BIR this year.
The following users liked this post:
Rupert16 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:00 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good evening,

I’m living up in BC Canada, my Wife and I have 14 CD best vehicle I’ve owned.
I had the Malone tune installed about a year ago, couldn’t handle the lousy emission update anymore.
All I can say is WOW! This is how these vehicles should have arrived in North America the first time.
The next best thing, I just had the TCU replaced with Joe’s fixed module 2 weeks ago. He’s known through out the Touareg & Cayenne forums for great effort in sorting Volkswagens Screw Up.
All I can say is, give it a go you won’t be disappointed. And with respect too the extended warranty, I don’t have much faith in it as it’s time whines down, better to look after everything yourself.
Enjoy.

Originally Posted by BoersID
Just logged in to see if anyone had done the malone and doesn't look like many have.

Nice day but the bugs were thick. Gary always ran a tight ship and sorry to see him leave BIR this year.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:56 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupert16
Good evening,

I’m living up in BC Canada, my Wife and I have 14 CD best vehicle I’ve owned.
I had the Malone tune installed about a year ago, couldn’t handle the lousy emission update anymore.
All I can say is WOW! This is how these vehicles should have arrived in North America the first time.
The next best thing, I just had the TCU replaced with Joe’s fixed module 2 weeks ago. He’s known through out the Touareg & Cayenne forums for great effort in sorting Volkswagens Screw Up.
All I can say is, give it a go you won’t be disappointed. And with respect too the extended warranty, I don’t have much faith in it as it’s time whines down, better to look after everything yourself.
Enjoy.

What Malone tune you installed? Stage 1 or Stage 2
Old 12-15-2020, 12:13 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

Stage 2. As I mentioned, you’ll love it.

Originally Posted by 911-997
What Malone tune you installed? Stage 1 or Stage 2
Old 12-15-2020, 09:07 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Stage 2. As I mentioned, you’ll love it.
Unfortunately I wont do this until warranty expires.
FYI, I had HPFP fail in my CD couple of months ago, If I didn’t have the emissions warranty, I would have forked 6k for the repair but warranty covered it!

Although, my CD is quiet reliable and only repair was done is HPFP in 100k miles, anything can still happen and I would rather have warranty fix this while I have it and I am glad I have it as it gives me peace of mind
Old 12-15-2020, 11:48 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

Sorry you had that failure, great it was covered under warranty.
Did they explain what part failed (internal)? I wonder if it’s a lubricity issue or water contamination that cause these failures.
I’ve been using a lubricity additive in my diesel vehicles for years, also I replace the fuel filter regularly as it’s a very easy job for a DIYer.
I’m in process of locating a place to mount a marine style Fuel filter, one with a clear viewing bowl to check for water.
My Mann ProVent 200 crankcase filter is working fabulously after 12 months of use, no more oil contamination being forced through the Intercoolers and induction system. Members can see my installation photos on the forum, I think it’s around #6710.

Originally Posted by 911-997
Unfortunately I wont do this until warranty expires.
FYI, I had HPFP fail in my CD couple of months ago, If I didn’t have the emissions warranty, I would have forked 6k for the repair but warranty covered it!

Although, my CD is quiet reliable and only repair was done is HPFP in 100k miles, anything can still happen and I would rather have warranty fix this while I have it and I am glad I have it as it gives me peace of mind
Old 12-20-2020, 02:53 PM
abatis
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Just flashed the Malone Stage 2 on my Cayenne. I only have the emissions warranty at this point and figured it was time to pep my 2013 up. Also easy to go back the original tune in minutes. Runs nice and smooth so far. The only repairs have been related to emissions and a couple recalls like the brake clip. The dealer did replace the original battery earlier this year - said I was running on borrowed time. Great vehicle so far for me at 75K miles.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:01 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by abatis
Just flashed the Malone Stage 2 on my Cayenne. I only have the emissions warranty at this point and figured it was time to pep my 2013 up. Also easy to go back the original tune in minutes. Runs nice and smooth so far. The only repairs have been related to emissions and a couple recalls like the brake clip. The dealer did replace the original battery earlier this year - said I was running on borrowed time. Great vehicle so far for me at 75K miles.
Malone stage 2 requires removing the DPF and SCR is that correct? If so, how is it easy to revert back in minutes? It will take along to put back DPF and SCR
Old 12-20-2020, 03:12 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Sorry you had that failure, great it was covered under warranty.
Did they explain what part failed (internal)? I wonder if it’s a lubricity issue or water contamination that cause these failures.
I’ve been using a lubricity additive in my diesel vehicles for years, also I replace the fuel filter regularly as it’s a very easy job for a DIYer.
I’m in process of locating a place to mount a marine style Fuel filter, one with a clear viewing bowl to check for water.
My Mann ProVent 200 crankcase filter is working fabulously after 12 months of use, no more oil contamination being forced through the Intercoolers and induction system. Members can see my installation photos on the forum, I think it’s around #6710.
They did not root cause the problem as I thought. They only said it just failed “probably due to age/mileage” I have 103k miles on mine. They initially thought it was due to bad patch of diesel fuel but after checking the tank and fuel system (it took them 3 weeks to analyze this and car stayed with them for 6 weeks for repair), they ruled out that fuel is problem. I was happy because I don’t want to go through the process of blaming the gas station I usually go to to get them to fix the issue

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue