Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New EPA Sticker from Dealer

New EPA Sticker from Dealer After Fix
Old 03-29-2018, 07:57 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
The ECU "learns" your driving habits and makes small adjustments to pair you to your car "better." Resetting would erase old programming with prefix ECU map and start fresh.

Old trick we do when trying to win DE cup driving street cars to track for the weekend.
Mercedes has a similar reset procedure to return to the latest installed flash since the cars have adaptive learning capabilities regarding driving style. If a CD has a defective flash, a reset isn’t going to correct it.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Mercedes has a similar reset procedure to return to the latest installed flash since the cars have adaptive learning capabilities regarding driving style. If a CD has a defective flash, a reset isn’t going to correct it.

Exactly, if it still drives poorly, then a reflash is in order.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:24 PM
alterniTECH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Just received my settlement letter yesterday from VW, $4,239.62. This is half due to the prior owner filing a claim. I'm going to hold out as well. I like the Cayenne the way it is. Besides, I'm sure I'll have to pay taxes on the $ VW sends me.
The difference really isn't that much of a difference. I wouldn't hold out (I didn't) and am completely satisfied. Why put off the inevitable?
Old 03-30-2018, 11:31 PM
alterniTECH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BoersID
Long time lurker and new member. I have a 15 CD and I can unequivocally state do not get the fix. Not worth the money if you tow anything. The transmission will not shift smoothly with or without a trailer and delay in shifts is very dangerous for merging overtaking etc. This is my second diesel (12 Treg) and I am not happy at all with the "Fix" and having features removed like the engine braking. I tow a couple of sleds or a direct drive ski boat as an FYI. Mileage has suffered by almost 5mpg towing and up to 6 on long haul flat areas without a trailer (all things being equal: Wind road etc). I do the same drive every third weekend to the cabin. Dealer has it again for the 2nd time trying to fix the fix but my gut is it will be to no avail. Hoping they can do something... A very disappointed owner.
It's quite strange to hear you're having these issues. My 2013 had the fix/new exhaust, and it rides as good as it did before. It took a while (couple of months) for it to get to normal), but as time goes on, it's just as good as it was, in fact, fuel economy is identical, if not better. I change my own oil, I've put about 7,000 miles on it since the fix, and I have yet to have to ad any ad blue/def.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:56 AM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy it is working out for some. People seem to be getting different feels. Towing is where I feel it the most which is a lot of what I do except my around town, when I am actually home. I have put about 4K on since the update. My dealer in Minneapolis has a few people in the same boat. They admitted to changes I have experienced though it may help I worked 7 years at the dealership to get a complete answer.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:04 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by alterniTECH
The difference really isn't that much of a difference. I wouldn't hold out (I didn't) and am completely satisfied. Why put off the inevitable?
If you don't have a pressing use for the money and plan on keeping the car, why not just get the most out of the existing parts?
Old 04-01-2018, 12:25 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Is there somewhere which states which percentage of vehicles have gotten the fix?
Old 04-01-2018, 10:11 AM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I also would like to get a clearer picture of what’s happening with the CD fix results and/or plans for getting the fix so I built a simple survey. It’s only five questions. Share your thoughts and see current survey results when you press done. I’ll also post a new thread so it get’s some more eyes on it. Click the link to take the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YQ56FDH
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Default Survey Response Update

Here are the results of the CD emission fix survey so far. 24 responses. I added some words to describe the in between answers. I tried to put the data in the body of this post but it just wouldn't format correctly so I uploaded the Excel file. Click to view. Thanks for the responses.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
CD Fix Survey.xlsx (11.9 KB, 103 views)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Default Survey Update April 6

Responses have been trickling in to total 39 so far. Not big numbers, but still it's providing a better idea of what CD owners are deciding and experiencing. I am somewhat surprised at the percentage that have reported to have gotten the fix at 74%. Hopefully we'll see a few more responses over this weekend.

Here's the link to the survey in case you haven't responded: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YQ56FDH
It takes less than one minute to complete.

I'll attach the xcel file, but here are the highlights. Almost half (46%) of respondents own 2014 CDs. 74% of all respondents have applied the fix while slightly fewer of the 2014 owners have fixed theirs (67%).

Considering performance only, 34% of all fixed CD owners are either "sorry they did it" or are experiencing "noticeably negative" performance. Two owners (8%) report "somewhat better" or "better" performance than before the fix.

When including the cash payments, 16% are "sorry" or "somewhat" negative on the deal. 38% feel they are even, while 37% feel its a "decent deal" or are "very happy" with the deal.

For those CDs not yet fixed, 57% feel it's "possible" or will "wait to see what develops" (67% of 2014 owners feel the same). 43% will "probably" or "definitely" get the fix.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
CD Fix Survey Apr 6 18.xlsx (12.5 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Mtea; 04-07-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:34 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Thanks for doing this survey, At least we know it's not a total disaster.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Default Back to back drives- Fixed and Pre-Fix CDs

Chsu74 was kind enough to offer me a drive in his fixed CD to compare with my un-fixed car. Special thanks to him for dragging his jetlagged self out of bed this morning to meet me for the comparison. For those of you expecting timed 0-60 runs, sorry, not something we could really do in crowded Fairfield County, CT, even on a Sunday morning.

The Cars:
Chsu74- '13 CD, 61,000 miles. Great shape.
PJ Cayenne- '14 CD 32,000. Great shape.

Neither car had any issues, everything worked. Each car was fully warmed up prior to the drive. Cool temps around 37F. Dry and sunny.

The route- about 12 miles of Parkway and local, back road driving.

Driving Thoughts-
Chsu took the '14 for a drive first. HIs first comments were "Sharper, smoother". He said it just felt a little closer to a non-turbocharged engine. Otherwise, he didn't notice much difference.

I then drove his car, and at first impression, felt about the same. Except I did notice greater tip-in needed on the throttle, and it did feel like it took longer to downshift and then accelerate with a pretty fast and slightly abrupt change in engine speed to about 3,000 rpm. I tried sport mode, and felt a bit of a flat spot after a nice initial surge. No extra vibration, maybe a bit quieter. I was quickly up to speed on the highway, and it felt effortless.

We then took my '14 for another ride, this time I drove my own car. Noticed the slightly more responsive throttle, and a bit more of a "roar" during acceleration. On normal, harder acceleration, I noted a two step kick down. First to about 2,200 rpm then to over 3,000 rpm. The result was a smoother increase in speed, less jarring. Less of a flat spot in sport mode, but the unmodified car does tend to "poop out" a bit in acceleration, just a bit less than the modified car. I did notice some downhill engine braking on my car...but did not notice its' absence on the fixed car.

All in all, I believe it is passable modification. Something that you would get used to over time. Is it different, yes to us car enthusiasts. Is it better, no- it is not. Is it $10 grand worse- no, not that either. When you add the warranty of all the expensive components for a total of ten years, it becomes a passable deal.

I'm still not rushing to get the fix, but, I know it is not going to drastically change the character of the car we truly enjoy. It was also nice to know that despite the mileage difference, both cars drove equally as well. These Cayennes are built for the long haul.
Hope this helps.
PJ-

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue