Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
...and in other news, we may finally have an insight as to why Porsche requires 5,000 miles oil changes. It is that refined German pee after all. This is a quote from the New York Times regarding the arrest of a minor Audi executive:

"According to the complaint against Mr. Pamio, Audi resorted to cheating after it became clear that cars with 3-liter motors needed a larger tank to hold a chemical solution known as AdBlue that was used to scrub harmful nitrogen oxides from the exhaust.

That presented a quandary. A larger tank would rob space needed for the luxury sound system. But a smaller tank would require more frequent refills, an inconvenience that Audi feared would deter buyers. So the cars were designed to ration AdBlue — and pollute more than allowed — unless software in the car detected the telltale signs of an emissions test."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/b...emissions.html
As they are currently configured, they should go 10k miles easily between refills. Any new configuration should at a minimum allow over 6k miles to allow some forgiveness with the maintenance interval.

You would think they could have made the diesel tank a little smaller. Who could possible complain about the range with 2-3 gallons less diesel?

One thing to ponder- if they had 10k of Adblu range with the cheater config- why require 5k oil changes unless it was just for service revenue?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:17 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If the new software fix is only to increase the DEF flow, there shouldn't be any change in performance.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:24 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I thought maybe the size of the DEF tanks were different among the sisters, but looks like they all have about the same capacity: Q7 - 6 gallons, Toaureg -5 gallons, Cayenne - 5 gallons. There goes my theory of why Porsche requires more frequent oil changes. Previously discussed, maybe Porsche wants to make sure no CD runs out of the pee.

TAch, yes hopefully there should not be any change in performance. It is just a matter of throwing more pee at the fumes, right?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Met w Porsche's representative yesterday for diesel confirmation, one interesting point they made which I was not aware of " she said that if the fix is not done and approved by the November deadline you have the option to receive the $500 per month penalty or you can take advantage of the pre determined trade in value "
Does that sound correct per the settlement?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:53 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't mind adding blu def more frequently if they made the fill spout in the fuel cap area like all the Europeean cars , instead of the wheel well which is a total pia
Old 07-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

It's not hard to fill in the spare tire well. Just get a long necked funnel. It will fit through the slots in the spare tire. Then just pour in from the 2 gallon container.

Not as easy as if it was by the fuel door but pretty painless.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:27 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Using more adblue isn't a big deal and the engine can run the same with or without it. Since Florida doesn't have emission testing someone could dump water into the DEF tank and just fool whatever measures the level sensor. If the article is correct and the fix is so easy I doubt VW is going to pay for any extension, so forget about a buyback. What's aggravating is that its taken so long for this fiasco to be settled.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:57 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
Met w Porsche's representative yesterday for diesel confirmation, one interesting point they made which I was not aware of " she said that if the fix is not done and approved by the November deadline you have the option to receive the $500 per month penalty or you can take advantage of the pre determined trade in value "
Does that sound correct per the settlement?
There is some date - in the fall, I think, that triggers the $500/month payments. I think that only can go for 3 months, since that's as long as VW can request extensions. After that, the buyback or reparations payments are triggered.

And I think that's where the free oil change comes into play, too. If they don't make their deadline, we get an oil change. Yipeee.

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Using more adblue isn't a big deal and the engine can run the same with or without it. Since Florida doesn't have emission testing someone could dump water into the DEF tank and just fool whatever measures the level sensor. If the article is correct and the fix is so easy I doubt VW is going to pay for any extension, so forget about a buyback. What's aggravating is that its taken so long for this fiasco to be settled.

The engine can, technically, but if you run out, the computer immobilizes the car. Not sure if there are sensors to tell if there is urea in there or water, though, so test at your own risk! You could fill the system with water and the computer might just say FU and be done.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:19 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Originally Posted by skiahh
The engine can, technically, but if you run out, the computer immobilizes the car. Not sure if there are sensors to tell if there is urea in there or water, though, so test at your own risk! You could fill the system with water and the computer might just say FU and be done.
There is a shelf life for the adblue and the stuff feels like water. With VW concerned about finding space for the sound system instead of controlling emissions, do you really think they are going to put in some fancy adblue testing analyzer?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:54 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

No wonder my SA kept pushing for the sound upgrade
Old 07-08-2017, 08:46 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to have couple of BMW diesels and those cars' in-tank sensors can determine concentration of the urea solution and will trigger code if it is below threshold. I wouldn't be surprised if VW/Audi/Porsche has the same capability.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:54 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Originally Posted by jbse39
I used to have couple of BMW diesels and those cars' in-tank sensors can determine concentration of the urea solution and will trigger code if it is below threshold. I wouldn't be surprised if VW/Audi/Porsche has the same capability.
I was curious to see what your sensor looks like and found this X5 replacement urea tank with temperature, heating and level sensors. Maybe you can help me out and find it. http://xemodex.com/us/product/def-sc...it-for-bmw-x5/

Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, mine was under warranty when it failed and had the entire tank replaced so I did not bother tearing into it.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:38 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
There is a shelf life for the adblue and the stuff feels like water. With VW concerned about finding space for the sound system instead of controlling emissions, do you really think they are going to put in some fancy adblue testing analyzer?
Sure. May be mandated for emissions - and difficult to cheat on. And it's probably not all that fancy, maybe even a simple ph sensor.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Why would you cheap out and not fill with Ad Blue? It's freaking cheap. I don't get why anyone would want to further cheat emissions and risk damaging the emissions for about $20 every 2-3 months.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue