Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:42 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I'm not trying to judge performance, but "drivabiity". That is, how long before power is requested and power is delivered. I have no other real complaints with the fix; power may be a bit less, but by my seat of the pants dyno, within the published range. MPGs are not significantly changed from before. I haven't seen a marked increase in DEF use that I can tell. It's just the apparent disconnect or delay between pressing the accelerator and the engine responding. And then when it does, it tries to make up for the delay by surging ahead. I would be completely content with the fix if the lag were gone.

Also, when it does surge, the timing is off now and then. That is, the engine will rev up quickly (once it realizes you're called for power) and do so before the Tiptronic figures out what gear it should be in, so they slam together in a rather unelegant way. I can see Porsche replacing some Tiptronics under the 10 year warranty because of this.

Hmm, so if the tool is slow to register the data, it may not be a good tool to evaluate the lag/surge. Maybe that's what my service rep meant when I asked about that.
Well, the tool I have is pretty low grade and ancient. More modern tools should be more capable.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:21 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Today my car received a new EGR valve under warranty. The EGR sits under the intake manifold that has to come off. For good measure I also got a new low tone horn. My car got the emission fix at 35K miles and shortly afterwards it needed a DPF. It has 40K now.

Last edited by r553; 12-04-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add mileage
Old 12-08-2018, 12:16 AM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May have a way to force some hands had one more close call and am getting sick of the lag and driving in manual mode all the time...https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-po...car-1830938474
Old 12-09-2018, 08:55 PM
motuman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if it has been discussed and I missed it....but it there any consensus on POST FIX customer satisfaction on the Gen 2.1 models ('13-'14) which get hardware and software mods
vs the Gen 2.2 models which get a software update only?

Shopping for a '14 or '15 CD now, and the 14's seem to be more plentiful, and obviously less expense being a model year older....but wondering if there is any drivability difference between the post fix Gen 2.1 and Gen 2.2 models? (haven't been able to drive a '14 and '15 back to back to compare)

Generation 2.1
SUVsVW Touareg (Model Year 2013-2014)
Porsche Cayenne (Model Year 2013-2014)
Audi Q7 (Model Year 2013-2015)
Software update plus hardware modification

Generation 2.2
SUVsVW Touareg (Model Year 2015-2016)
Porsche Cayenne (Model Year 2015-2016)
Software update only.

Last edited by motuman; 12-10-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I'm not trying to judge performance, but "drivabiity". That is, how long before power is requested and power is delivered. I have no other real complaints with the fix; power may be a bit less, but by my seat of the pants dyno, within the published range. MPGs are not significantly changed from before. I haven't seen a marked increase in DEF use that I can tell. It's just the apparent disconnect or delay between pressing the accelerator and the engine responding. And then when it does, it tries to make up for the delay by surging ahead. I would be completely content with the fix if the lag were gone.

Also, when it does surge, the timing is off now and then. That is, the engine will rev up quickly (once it realizes you're called for power) and do so before the Tiptronic figures out what gear it should be in, so they slam together in a rather unelegant way. I can see Porsche replacing some Tiptronics under the 10 year warranty because of this.

Hmm, so if the tool is slow to register the data, it may not be a good tool to evaluate the lag/surge. Maybe that's what my service rep meant when I asked about that.
You accurately describe my frustration with the fix and the new driving experience. Big lag followed a rather inelegant surge. It’s maddening at times. And even dangerous in passing or evasive situations.

Otherwise, I still love the oil burner.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 PM
daleman
6th Gear

Anyone try the pedal commander? My buddy put it on his dodge diesel and swears it eliminated turbo lag.
https://www.pedalcommander.com/produ...v=7516fd43adaa
Old 12-17-2018, 09:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by daleman
Anyone try the pedal commander? My buddy put it on his dodge diesel and swears it eliminated turbo lag.
https://www.pedalcommander.com/produ...v=7516fd43adaa
Gimmick. Just changes the mapping between pedal and throttle. Just like Sport Mode already does.

If you want the exact same performance just push the pedal down more than you usually do. That’s all it does.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:39 PM
BMK_BMK
Track Day

I'm looking at a 2015 CD that hasn't had the fix done yet. Am I correct to assume that the original owner could not have collected from the settlement without first completing the fix?

If yes, then it's safe to assume I could be looking at a $5-10k rebate on the purchase price once I submit claim documents?
Old 12-18-2018, 02:53 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is possible to get half the settlement money without getting the fix. Go here to check the status. https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
It is possible to get half the settlement money without getting the fix. Go here to check the status. https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/
Exactly. The original owner could have collected half the settlement dollars and all the Bosch dollars and then traded it. If it's at a Porsche (or, I'd guess VW or Audi) dealer, it will have to be fixed before it can be sold and the buyer doesn't get any settlement dollars.

Going to the website will only tell you if a vehicle is eligible, not whether the original owners have already claimed the first half of the settlement.

And if it's an unfixed CD, I can't imagine how it wouldn't be eligible.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:18 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

but chances are, he didn't get any of it. If he did, he would have been a fool to trade it in without getting the fix done to get the other half. That is currently our plan. Get the fix in September/October and order a new car around that time. Probably a Macan next since we don't need to tow any more.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:07 PM
bwbob
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMK_BMK
I'm looking at a 2015 CD that hasn't had the fix done yet. Am I correct to assume that the original owner could not have collected from the settlement without first completing the fix?

If yes, then it's safe to assume I could be looking at a $5-10k rebate on the purchase price once I submit claim documents?
It is not a correct assumption. Previous owner may or may not have collected the 1st half of the settlement but hasn't taken it in for the fix for the 2nd half.
That's my situation on my '14 CD, haven't done the fix to get the 2nd half.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:42 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bwbob
It is not a correct assumption. Previous owner may or may not have collected the 1st half of the settlement but hasn't taken it in for the fix for the 2nd half.
That's my situation on my '14 CD, haven't done the fix to get the 2nd half.
but if you were selling it or trading it in, you would get the fix done before hand, correct? Unless its an impulse buy I guess.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:52 PM
bwbob
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
but if you were selling it or trading it in, you would get the fix done before hand, correct? Unless its an impulse buy I guess.
Or if the dealer taking the trade made the numbers look like I was getting that added onto my trade value with the storyline that they were just going to get it done later so I didn't have to wait for those $'s to get the deal on the table done. They then could use that as a selling point as a premium that it hadn't been fixed and that there's $'s out there to be had for the buyer
Old 12-19-2018, 06:40 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

I guess that could be, but then they would do the fix to get the money. I don't think not having the fix will get an extra 5k on resale, but who knows.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue