Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I'm afraid they don't care what it will drive like "fixed", nor will reliability, DEF and fuel consumption concern them.
Well, they need to be at least somewhat concerned. They cannot drop peak HP, peak torque, and fuel consumption by certain amounts. But they still have leeway there.

Also, the powertrain warranty they have to put in place post fix is pretty strong.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

No, I think PJ is right. The EPA doesn't care about those specs. EPA will approve a fix if it meets emissions goals/standards. VW, on the other hand, HAS to meet those specs with a solution that meets emissions goals/standards because if not, more of their money goes flying out the window to owners.

Like I said, the EPA and CARB have theirs... they don't care any more, except for the emissions goal/standards. What it does to the vehicles? They couldn't care less. In fact, they probably would like all these "high falootin'" cars to be rendered as capable as a Prius, if you ask me.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:07 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Well, they need to be at least somewhat concerned. They cannot drop peak HP, peak torque, and fuel consumption by certain amounts. But they still have leeway there.

Also, the powertrain warranty they have to put in place post fix is pretty strong.
The biggest "out" VW was granted in this whole deal is the $500 penalty for performance degradation. I read it is payable when a threshold of power and fuel economy deterioration resulted. I did not see a maximum reduction in performance that would make the fix unacceptable. For $500 per car, they can dial it down until emission specs are met. In the scheme of things, that's a small price to pay to wiggle out of a jam.

Originally Posted by skiahh
No, I think PJ is right. The EPA doesn't care about those specs. EPA will approve a fix if it meets emissions goals/standards. VW, on the other hand, HAS to meet those specs with a solution that meets emissions goals/standards because if not, more of their money goes flying out the window to owners.

Like I said, the EPA and CARB have theirs... they don't care any more, except for the emissions goal/standards. What it does to the vehicles? They couldn't care less. In fact, they probably would like all these "high falootin'" cars to be rendered as capable as a Prius, if you ask me.
Agreed, the EPA/CARB regulations resulted in lost decades of decent automotive performance. Clearly now the ICE is in their crosshairs for elimination.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:31 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

You are most probably right HOWEVER the Cayenne meets the latest standards which were published in 2013 there are no later standards. The EPA was required by law to establish new standards but never did so it is my understanding that the judge is requiring Porsche to meet standards that do not exist . I think all will turn out ok and those of us that just want to continue to enjoy our CD's ... with some perks Porsche was required to provide aka becUse of this judge can . My wife has looked me in the face and said we aren't getting rid of two vehicles we completely enjoy . I think the "fix" will be un noticed by all but those that are looking for something to grip about .... oh but I'm old and was brought up in a different generation and culture
Old 07-17-2017, 12:00 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
The biggest "out" VW was granted in this whole deal is the $500 penalty for performance degradation. I read it is payable when a threshold of power and fuel economy deterioration resulted. I did not see a maximum reduction in performance that would make the fix unacceptable. For $500 per car, they can dial it down until emission specs are met. In the scheme of things, that's a small price to pay to wiggle out of a jam.

Agreed, the EPA/CARB regulations resulted in lost decades of decent automotive performance. Clearly now the ICE is in their crosshairs for elimination.
True, but if the performance goes down below that specified in the settlement, people can opt out (by paying back their half payment) and sue individually. Or, the class can re-engage for a new settlement. I'd certainly be talking to the class counsel to get back in the ring for us. $500 for a neutered car won't cut it.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Data point for those who didn't get the electronic payment. I had my inspection meeting with the VW rep on Friday July 7th, and I got my hard copy check this morning. So, 5 business days/10 calendar days.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:23 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
Data point for those who didn't get the electronic payment. I had my inspection meeting with the VW rep on Friday July 7th, and I got my hard copy check this morning. So, 5 business days/10 calendar days.
Is a signature required?

Discovered that signature is required. Had to redirect to local FedEx location.

Last edited by pdxjim; 07-17-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:34 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

On edit, yes. My wife got surprised by the FedEx guy ringing the doorbell, looking for a signature.

Last edited by booch; 07-17-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
You are most probably right HOWEVER the Cayenne meets the latest standards which were published in 2013 there are no later standards. The EPA was required by law to establish new standards but never did so it is my understanding that the judge is requiring Porsche to meet standards that do not exist.
Exactly correct. The Supreme Court ordered EPA to write Regs about on-road specs in 2001, and again in 2011 when they ordered "durability" regulations. The EPA did neither.
So, yes, the order is to meet regs that do not exist.
Someday, maybe the goalposts will be located, but for now, it's just a bunch of CARB and EPA bureaucrats yukking it up that they were able to harm an industry - and consumers - so greatly. Hoping to get raises, or a building named after them, because of all the Fine Revenues they extracted (not protection of the Environment).
Old 07-17-2017, 05:29 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Got mine last night as well. Funds are on the way, at least they said such and ...

Re: Bosch payment - my rep told me it would be a separate payment probably coming by surface mail. Nothing about 1/2 amount, but clearly he did not have definitive data because after we spoke a bit more, he said "I guess it could be EFT too".

The process so far is good and I'd have to say, painless and frustration free, at least for me. Hope the rest of this ordeal follows suit as smoothly too. I have my doubts about the free oil change and adblue being smooth, at least for the early adopters among us.
Got funds deposited today! Guess the process works.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Did my inspection today. The rep called the bosch help line while i was there. What he was told is:
payments are processed in batches
as soon as a claim is verified (ie this inspection process) they will issue payment
he wasn't sure 'when' or 'if split'
he assumed it would be paid at once

Thats all he was able to get from Bosch.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:40 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Yep, same for me, the money showed up Monday evening. Other than the one person who had his verification challenged due to rain drops in the picture, sounds like almost everyone else had smooth sailing, either by EFT or surface mail/FedEx.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:42 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Originally Posted by Spyerx
Did my inspection today. The rep called the bosch help line while i was there. What he was told is:
payments are processed in batches
as soon as a claim is verified (ie this inspection process) they will issue payment
he wasn't sure 'when' or 'if split'
he assumed it would be paid at once

Thats all he was able to get from Bosch.
Good to hear ... thanks. Sounds like we're also getting the wagons circled on the Bosch part too. IMO they should just cut 1 check for the full amount.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

True, but if the performance goes down below that specified in the settlement, people can opt out (by paying back their half payment) and sue individually. Or, the class can re-engage for a new settlement. I'd certainly be talking to the class counsel to get back in the ring for us. $500 for a neutered car won't cut it.
Here is where it gets tricky, there is a threshold that triggers the performance penalty. However, there is nothing that limits how much they can allow performance and economy to deteriorate. That's my main point. You are correct though, we could opt out and go through another process, but unlikely. If the fix is crap, I'll hold off as long as possible, get it done, collect the cash and trade it.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

If the fix is crap, I'll take a hard look at it, but would likely press for a buyback at that point. Or the reparation payment and take the crappy fix.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue