Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016 | 02:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Final continuance till 11am Pacific tomorrow, according to twitter account of Patrick McGee
Thanks for the heads up on this guy. He is live tweeting from the courtroom. Well, he was today, suspect he will be tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:06 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

This Canadian got all excited at the settlement...until I read the article. Nice that the article says we'll have some choice in terms of selling, trading, or fixing, but no description of basis for trade in or buy back values or any performance hit on a fix. Also, cash payments of between $5k-$8k? Without knowing all the other details, $8k seems awfully low for my $80k vehicle, particularly when many of the 2.0L smaller vehicles are getting $10K. I guess we'll have to wait for the details on how it all works, but I would be very, very surprised if the US deal was not as good, or likely better. The much smaller market here usually results in Canadians getting screwed on issues like this. Trying to keep an open mind until the details are in though.
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:13 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...607466386.html

This news article indicates that the Canadian class action settlement applies the 2.0's and specifically says not the 3.0's...

Also curious, if there is a choice of buyback or fix, how are we supposed to ascertain whether the fix could be/would be acceptable to each of us? Presumably they'll provide objective numbers (hp/torque, fuel economy losses, DEF consumption rates, ?NVH measures). If any of these figures were strikingly unacceptable, then fine, the decision to sell back to Porsche becomes a bit easier.

But if only "mildly" affected I'd have to drive a post-fix vehicle to see if it remains an acceptable fix to me in relation to the compensation provided.
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:15 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Wait a minute, I just read Patrick McGee's tweet which included the wire story on the Canadian settlement. On my quick read, the settlement is only for the 2.0L cars. It specifically mentions those vehicles but no mention at all of the 3.0 L vehicles. Not sure where the Globe and Mail article got their info.
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:20 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

FYI, Patrick just replied to my question to him and confirmed that this settlement is strictly for 2.0 cars. We're just catching up to the US proceedings.
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmack2012
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...607466386.html

This news article indicates that the Canadian class action settlement applies the 2.0's and specifically says not the 3.0's...

Also curious, if there is a choice of buyback or fix, how are we supposed to ascertain whether the fix could be/would be acceptable to each of us? Presumably they'll provide objective numbers (hp/torque, fuel economy losses, DEF consumption rates, ?NVH measures). If any of these figures were strikingly unacceptable, then fine, the decision to sell back to Porsche becomes a bit easier.

But if only "mildly" affected I'd have to drive a post-fix vehicle to see if it remains an acceptable fix to me in relation to the compensation provided.
The 2.0 Consent Decree specifically calls for VW to provide any impact the fix might have on performance, MPG, wear on emissions parts or engine longevity, and maybe some other stuff. They are to provide that before the owners make their choice.
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:27 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The 2.0 Consent Decree specifically calls for VW to provide any impact the fix might have on performance, MPG, wear on emissions parts or engine longevity, and maybe some other stuff. They are to provide that before the owners make their choice.
For sure, but, the numbers alone may not be sufficient enough information to make a decision. I guess I'm talking about the butt dynometer here and other subjective things like NVH, not just what is described on paper. Ideally a post-fix vehicle would be available to be driven OR we could take the fix and retain a buyback option for some period of time to see how it has impacted the vehicle.
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:31 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Wait a minute, I just read Patrick McGee's tweet which included the wire story on the Canadian settlement. On my quick read, the settlement is only for the 2.0L cars. It specifically mentions those vehicles but no mention at all of the 3.0 L vehicles. Not sure where the Globe and Mail article got their info.
The Globe and Mail article is a POS. Doesn't differentiate between 2 and 3L cars.
Old 12-19-2016 | 02:51 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Buybacks are already happening for the 2.0s and as far as I'm aware there is still not an actual "fix" for them.

Or are you saying that owners will retain the buyback option until such information is available? I thought there was a hard date that they had to opt into the buyback?
Old 12-19-2016 | 04:11 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

They can ask for the paperwork anytime but delay turning it in. For the 2.0s, September 1, 2018 is the deadline for submitting the notarized paperwork. December 30, 2018 is the last day for turning it in to VW.
Old 12-19-2016 | 04:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
They can ask for the paperwork anytime but delay turning it in. For the 2.0s, September 1, 2018 is the deadline for submitting the notarized paperwork. December 30, 2018 is the last day for turning it in to VW.
This jibes with my recollection.

You can essentially drive the car free, too. Keep holding out for the fix, then decide, nah, I'll do the buyback. But the buyback price is fixed at Sept 2015 values and, by my reading without seeing actual agreements, there is no deduct for excessive mileage.
Old 12-19-2016 | 04:38 PM
Fred2
Racer

Originally Posted by gnat
Buybacks are already happening for the 2.0s and as far as I'm aware there is still not an actual "fix" for them.

Or are you saying that owners will retain the buyback option until such information is available? I thought there was a hard date that they had to opt into the buyback?
Do owners HAVE to accept a buy back, or can they keep the car?
Old 12-19-2016 | 04:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fred2
Do owners HAVE to accept a buy back, or can they keep the car?
They can keep the car if they wish, but they are supposed to get the fix applied when it is available. What remains to be seen is how much getting the fix will be enforced (e.g. if registrations will be withheld until fixed).
Old 12-19-2016 | 08:42 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Wow, never thought I would see this:

http://jalopnik.com/this-vw-diesel-o...ium=socialflow
Old 12-19-2016 | 09:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SignDoc
Wow, never thought I would see this:

http://jalopnik.com/this-vw-diesel-o...ium=socialflow
There is no end to douchiness in this world....

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue