Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Yet you say the milage was part of what sold you. Better MPG means using less oil which is, wait for it, better for the environment

Me, I wanted to switch to diesel when I got the CD because it is overall better for the environment (less harmful emissions, uses less fuel, less waste energy in the fuel manufacturing, etc..).
Fair enough... though my motivation for the diesel was much more selfish/short-sighted. I wanted it for the mileage as it impacts my pocketbook. I did not care about it from any steps larger than that (such as the impact on "the environment.")

If they are going to make us show up in person to prove we have the vehicle, why force us to go through all that online BS. They should have just had us bring it to the appointment so they could copy it as needed. Since they required us to supply that info ahead of time, they can relatively easily contact our respective states to verify ownership with the supplied info. That would also save the time that the dealerships have to spend dealing with all this too.
That is actually a most excellent point.

As for the "sales tactic" - certainly could be true. But it'll blow up on them for anybody who uses my local dealership, as the service department is around the corner (and effectively "down the block" though it's all the same physical structure) from sales, with it's own separate waiting area, etc. You have to walk through a giant maze, through the shop itself (which is HUGE and shared with 4-5 other brands), then know which secret door to walk through, go UP a flight of stairs and down a hallway, to find yourself in the new vehicle showroom.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:20 PM
TxHoon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what the current values are for the Cayenne diesels? I have not seen many sell and I have not seen any go through a dealership (Porsche or Other)since the stop sale. I will probably be selling mine in the next 6-9 months and I am wondering what this has actually done to real values (not perceived).

What is a 2014 CD with 70k miles worth? Are the online sites accurate for value? Do dealers have customers waiting to buy previously owned CD's?

Since this surfaced, the entire market seems to have dried up and I have not been able to find much info on true values.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHoon
Since this surfaced, the entire market seems to have dried up and I have not been able to find much info on true values.
I don't think you are seeing it having dried up. I think what you are seeing is that they seem to be selling almost as quickly as they are available.

A lot depends on your area though. They are definitely more popular in some places than others.

I honestly have no idea what the current values are, but planning to sell in 6-9 months is risky in my opinion. I say that because at some point Porsche is going to release all those "new" CDs that have been stuck in limbo all this time. That will effectively flood the market and further reduce the value of a CD that already has 70k on it.

If you aren't going to keep it long term, I'd look to sell before Porsche announces when they will start selling their backlog. Once the announcement comes out I would expect some will just prefer to "wait and see" if it's not too far off.

My guess is that you have until around the time they start applying fixes. I expect they'll apply it to their stock ASAP so they can start unloading them.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:02 PM
TxHoon
Advanced

I don't think you are seeing it having dried up. I think what you are seeing is that they seem to be selling almost as quickly as they are available.

A lot depends on your area though. They are definitely more popular in some places than others.

I honestly have no idea what the current values are, but planning to sell in 6-9 months is risky in my opinion. I say that because at some point Porsche is going to release all those "new" CDs that have been stuck in limbo all this time. That will effectively flood the market and further reduce the value of a CD that already has 70k on it.

If you aren't going to keep it long term, I'd look to sell before Porsche announces when they will start selling their backlog. Once the announcement comes out I would expect some will just prefer to "wait and see" if it's not too far off.

My guess is that you have until around the time they start applying fixes. I expect they'll apply it to their stock ASAP so they can start unloading them.
Good point. I might just keep it if they release the ones that have been in limbo.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:04 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 573 Posts

The dealers will have to do a hell of a detailing when they get around to selling all those mothballed CD's. I saw 4 of them sitting outside at a local dealer and they've been sitting there, outside, in the sun and weather for almost 2 years!!! No sun-screens, etc...
I don't like keeping a car outside for more than 10 minutes
Old 06-30-2017, 11:16 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skl
The dealers will have to do a hell of a detailing when they get around to selling all those mothballed CD's. I saw 4 of them sitting outside at a local dealer and they've been sitting there, outside, in the sun and weather for almost 2 years!!! No sun-screens, etc...
I don't like keeping a car outside for more than 10 minutes
Dealers here have been rotating them through the loaner fleet or letting the sales guys drive them.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:57 AM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a thought. My wife and I are listed as co-owners on the titles for our CDs. Do we both have to be there for these appointments?
Old 07-01-2017, 12:53 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't agree with that. The compensation is for their antics and the damage they have supposedly caused us.

What he is talking about (and I kind of agree) is the hoops they are now making us jump through for what the court has ordered them to give us.

Yes my appointment is also for 30 minutes, but it's a 30 minute drive each way to get it there. The only times I was offered were also only during work hours. So not only do I have to go well out of my way, but I have to miss a fair chunk of my work day in the process.

All so that they can verify something which they should be able to do by other means based on the information we were required to supply.

This also wastes their resources too so I can only surmise (and agree with others that have said it) that this is a backhanded sales tactic.
I guess we'll all see if it's a backhanded sales tactic. Maybe for some dealers it will be and for others, they'll get you in and out.

Yes, travel time to and from the dealership is a hassle for many (mine's about 10 minutes away). Not sure if there's any other way to do it, though, to prevent fraud. Lots of money at stake here and VW wants to get it right without spending an extra dime. Can't say I blame them.

Yet you say the milage was part of what sold you. Better MPG means using less oil which is, wait for it, better for the environment

Me, I wanted to switch to diesel when I got the CD because it is overall better for the environment (less harmful emissions, uses less fuel, less waste energy in the fuel manufacturing, etc..).
Yes, but as has been pointed out - by you, if I recall correctly - the extra emissions by all the CDs (and maybe all the VW/Audi/Porsches) still don't pollute as much as a single train or super tanker. If that is, indeed, true, it's all showmanship, except that all the government agencies got their money and were able to save face.

The current argument, I think, has merit. If they are going to make us show up in person to prove we have the vehicle, why force us to go through all that online BS. They should have just had us bring it to the appointment so they could copy it as needed. Since they required us to supply that info ahead of time, they can relatively easily contact our respective states to verify ownership with the supplied info. That would also save the time that the dealerships have to spend dealing with all this too.
I think there's just too much opportunity for working the system here, so they want an in person verification. And, as noted, maybe to catalogue condition in the event of a buyback to prevent the stripping that went on with the 2.0l cars.

Originally Posted by flyfisher
I had a thought. My wife and I are listed as co-owners on the titles for our CDs. Do we both have to be there for these appointments?
I'm guessing no, since you both signed the documents and had those signatures notarized.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Not sure if there's any other way to do it, though, to prevent fraud. Lots of money at stake here and VW wants to get it right without spending an extra dime. Can't say I blame them.

I think there's just too much opportunity for working the system here, so they want an in person verification. And, as noted, maybe to catalogue condition in the event of a buyback to prevent the stripping that went on with the 2.0l cars.
I get that and I agree with you. My view is that if that is the case then the online portion should simply have been "provide your VIN and select your appointment time and location" and then we just bring all the documentation with us.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:18 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Default 2015 CD Value

Name:  20170701_200135.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  147.7 KBI received the value from my insurance company for my burnt 2015 CD, sticker of $77,900. I am happy with the number, plus I get the full $9,800 from VW and $1,500 from Bosch on top.

Last edited by SignDoc; 07-03-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Good deal, SignDoc. Glad you guys escaped unhurt. How's the process with the house going?
Old 07-03-2017, 11:17 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SignDoc
Attachment 1181248I received the value from my insurance company for my burnt 2015 CD, sticker of $77,900. I am happy with the number, plus I get the full $9,800 from VW and $1,500 from Bosch on top.
WOW nice! Sucks about the whole situation but at least that helps lay a little bit of silver lining to the cloud....
Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

From my appointment confirmation email:

Please click here to visit the Online Claims Portal where you can view what you will be expected to bring to this appointment.
Any idea what we need to bring, other than ourselves and the car?

I clicked into the link they provided and there's nothing I can see on the website about a list of stuff to bring with me. My appointment is first thing Wednesday morning.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:24 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
From my appointment confirmation email:

Any idea what we need to bring, other than ourselves and the car?

I clicked into the link they provided and there's nothing I can see on the website about a list of stuff to bring with me. My appointment is first thing Wednesday morning.
I go see them this Friday - I couldn't see anything "special" to bring either. So I'm bringing the stuff I already sent them plus the notarized docs and email saying I'm properly qualified. In theory you should only need to bring the CD so they can match the VIN against their records as they already have your information. I'll also be able to provide them electronic banking information if they want / need it then. I'm going to ask when I can expect my free oil change and Adblue refill as I'm now down to 300 miles until next oil change. According to the settlement docs we are eligible once our eligibility has been confirmed, last thing to confirm as far as I can tell is the actual vehicle.

If you learn anything noteworthy, share will us when you are able.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stronbl

If you learn anything noteworthy, share will us when you are able.
Yep I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue