Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 09:25 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Added Aero: Wing and Chin Spoiler

This was actually a few weeks ago, but I was struggling with uploading photos to this site back then, and had given up. Well, I thought I'd try again. Hopefully the upload works this time!

I love rear wings on almost any car. 3 of the 4 cars I owned prior to my 911 had rear deck spoilers, either stock or aftermarket-added by me. So it was just a matter of time before my C4S would have a wing.

I've always loved the look of the GT3-RS Wing on the 997s. I went with Getty Design, based on a recommendation from another PCA member, who also had the same wing put on his 997.1 GT3. To balance the added wing with the front of the car, I added the TechArt Type I Chin Spoiler, recommended by the shop doing the install. I am very happy with the way it turned out. Bonus: I was expecting the view out the back to be completely blocked, but I can actually still see pretty well! Second bonus: I asked the shop not to reinstall the "Carrera 4S" logo on the engine lid. I like how clean it looks AND how it's much easier to wash/dry/wax.

TechArt Type I Chin Spoiler

Getty GT3-RS Replica Wing
The following 4 users liked this post by Q 997.2 C4S:
Fined (06-01-2020), FutureClassic (06-01-2020), jayi836 (06-10-2020), PatrickBateman (11-26-2023)
Old 06-01-2020, 03:12 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurse
What a day! Spent a few hours in the garage with Hope, learned a lot, crossed a lot off the list, and got to know her better than before.

I started by lifting her onto jack stands for the first time. Thanks to all who contributed their experience and advice to the DIY/Mod thread, it was a bit nerve-wracking but in the end she was up safely and securely. Moved to the top priority, changing her oil. 8.5 quarts later and with a magnetic drain plug in place I cut open and inspected the old filter, finding nothing of note.
While the oil was draining I used the interval to install LED bulbs in all interior fixtures as well as the frunk and engine bay. What a fantastic change! I love how something so simple updates the aesthetic of the interior.
Then the main event, 8mm front and 15mm rear wheel spacers. My intent was to achieve the look of lowering without the hassle of springs. I’m thrilled with the results and I think the wheels fill the arches better without compromising the front end on my driveway.
Oh, before I forget, having her up on the stands gave me a look at the true state of my right rear tire. Yikes! Goodbye Pirelli, Continental ExtremeContacts on order, installation next week. So glad I found this at home and not blasting down the road!
What a rewarding day, I’m so glad I can wrench on my Porsche but I can’t wait for the next
Love the LED interior, have done it to everyone one of my 997/s!
The following users liked this post:
TheMurse (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:47 AM
scoobasteve
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

After a fun drive through the countryside, installed a phone mount from Sun Coast, detailed the interior with Leather Magic and 303 and washed the exterior with Zaino shampoo - a great day!

The following 3 users liked this post by scoobasteve:
Fabspeed Motorsport (06-02-2020), Gene_GaTech (06-05-2020), jayi836 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 11:17 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Did a thorough wash, IPA'd as prep and then applied Jescar Powerlock Plus with Collinite 845 as a topper. First time with this combo as previously I had used Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax as the topper. I'm a big fan of the new combo both in the results and in the application / removal.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:17 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
This was actually a few weeks ago, but I was struggling with uploading photos to this site back then, and had given up. Well, I thought I'd try again. Hopefully the upload works this time!

I love rear wings on almost any car. 3 of the 4 cars I owned prior to my 911 had rear deck spoilers, either stock or aftermarket-added by me. So it was just a matter of time before my C4S would have a wing.

I've always loved the look of the GT3-RS Wing on the 997s. I went with Getty Design, based on a recommendation from another PCA member, who also had the same wing put on his 997.1 GT3. To balance the added wing with the front of the car, I added the TechArt Type I Chin Spoiler, recommended by the shop doing the install. I am very happy with the way it turned out. Bonus: I was expecting the view out the back to be completely blocked, but I can actually still see pretty well! Second bonus: I asked the shop not to reinstall the "Carrera 4S" logo on the engine lid. I like how clean it looks AND how it's much easier to wash/dry/wax.

Wow, those Gettys are not cheap. Any chance of an underside pic?
Fabspeed Motorsport (06-02-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 12:32 PM
nicogri
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Love it... this is looking so good. I love the front lip but they are waayyyy to expensive for the level of scratch exposure ;-)
Old 06-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicogri
Love it... this is looking so good. I love the front lip but they are waayyyy to expensive for the level of scratch exposure ;-)
+1 on the lip spoiler, beautiful. You need a center radiator. Inexpensive and IMO necessary in the hot summer.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:50 PM
nicogri
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Edit : I went to getty website, 4k for rear wing ???
Fabspeed Motorsport (06-02-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 03:16 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 565 Likes on 336 Posts

killer job. gorgeous car.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:49 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 436 Posts

Installed a new Air box and Filter into this beauty of a 997 this morning

Old 06-01-2020, 05:00 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DzoniS
As many people are already contributing to this thread, I might as well. I've finally decided to install an aftermarket Carplay on my 997. At first I thought that's gonna be hard with all the wire cutting and stuff but it turned out pretty easy. The Carplay I've used is Carplay for Porsche PCM 3.1. So after a week of using it really feels decent, no major complaints as of yet and hopefully it remains like that!
Link shows it isn’t for 997 cars. How did you get it to work? Pics!
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

@Khloesdad Getty is not cheap, but they're supposed to be higher quality than less expensive versions. I certainly hope so! I wasn't sure how good the other brands would be. I searched here on Rennlist and couldn't really find any good info on other brands of this style. I did see a lot of good reviews on other Getty products, so I went with it. I'm happy with it. So, I assume you were asking if I had a photo of the underside of the wing? If so, see attached!

@nicogri Yeah, it's a little scary going that low in the front of the car. I take it super slow and turn my front wheel completely towards the curb at home, so that the tire goes up the curb first and I don't scrape the low spoiler. I will definitely need to be very careful when out driving in unfamiliar places! I did get some of those Sliplo scrape guards which I will need to install soon. Yes, the Getty is $4k. Not cheap, but I believe in the old saying, you get what you pay for.

@myw Thanks for the compliment!

Underside of Wing

jayi836 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 11:03 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,157 Posts

'09 C2S Cab 27,000 mi.
Replaced (original) spark plugs and drive belt.
Fister mufflers installed.

27k miles. Original plugs - installed at the factory 11 1/2 years ago. Car has been running great - but by the looks of these, I'm glad I had them replaced.

Titanium Ceramic coated.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

@Khloesdad Getty is not cheap, but they're supposed to be higher quality than less expensive versions. I certainly hope so! I wasn't sure how good the other brands would be. I searched here on Rennlist and couldn't really find any good info on other brands of this style. I did see a lot of good reviews on other Getty products, so I went with it. I'm happy with it. So, I assume you were asking if I had a photo of the underside of the wing? If so, see attached!

@nicogri Yeah, it's a little scary going that low in the front of the car. I take it super slow and turn my front wheel completely towards the curb at home, so that the tire goes up the curb first and I don't scrape the low spoiler. I will definitely need to be very careful when out driving in unfamiliar places! I did get some of those Sliplo scrape guards which I will need to install soon. Yes, the Getty is $4k. Not cheap, but I believe in the old saying, you get what you pay for.

@myw Thanks for the compliment!

Underside of Wing
Sorry, I actually meant underside of the engine cover. I'm curious where the intake mates to the engine cover hole/holes. Looks like a quality piece.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Installed a new Air box and Filter into this beauty of a 997 this morning

Here's an in depth video of a 997 that came through for a full Tiptronic system and Big Turbo Upgrade.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?